What's new

Problem with Panasonic HT930 system (1 Viewer)

Jesse>M

Auditioning
I just got a 1000 watt Panasonic system(SC-HT930) and I'm having some problems with getting actual surround sound from anything but discs played on the receiver. Every time I switch over to TV or Aux mode, the lit active channel/speaker indicators change to only a left and right channel. I've tried turning on Super Surround and checking the different settings but that only plays the left and right audio through all the speakers without any front or rear orientation and not even close to the sound quality I get from movies. I've tried using a standard AV cable from my TV to the receiver in the TV and Aux In ports, connecting the audio part of the component cables coming off my splitter to the receiver in both ports, and even connecting one of my other devices(namely my Xbox 360) directly to the receiver and still all I get is loud left and right channels, no depth and no real "surround" to the surround sound, definitely not what I get from the movies. Anyone have any clues on what I might be doing wrong?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If you put into "dolby" with an analog input, you should be able to cycle the various tyoes of dolby surround. Just make sure that you have the speakers = yes in the setup menu when in TV mode. Sometimes you have to set up each input.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
There's no 'Dolby' button or option aside from DPL II, which can only be activated in DVD/CD mode according to the manual. No menu comes up unless the system is put into DVD/CD mode also, and the only speaker options under it are ms delays on the center and rear speakers. No options that actually have anything to do with sound performance in other modes.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
Why in the blue hell would a $460 high quality system not be able to provide surround sound for anything other than movies/CDs played directly on it? Why would it not be able to accomplish what my previous, cheap, 130 watt Audiovox system could by providing more than two channels of sound from an external source? There's got to be something I'm missing here. That's some serious BS considering about the only way to find out that rather important piece of info is to buy the thing, take it home, and get it all hooked up.

******Edit*****

It actually even says on the Panasonic website that I should be able to do things like what I'm wanting to. Direct copy/paste quote from Panasonic Product Support pages:

7. Can I watch movies from my VCR on my home theater system?
Absolutely. Just connect the audio/video outputs from your VCR to your home theater system, and your VHS tapes will sound great. The Dolby® Pro Logic® decoder in your home theater system will even play your VHS movies in surround sound.

That's exactly what I'm wanting, surround sound from an external source.

John S

Senior HTF Member
So you hooked up the L/R cables directly from the source to the HTIB and cannot ever get pro logic surround from it?

The source could be mono? Your using the same source connected the same way as your previous system? Even a true stereo without real encouded surround may do nearly the same thing.

If you can't get to the DPL / DPLII setting on any given source, I would say that is strange. Most advanced true multi-channel surround modes mous be derived from a digital audio connection, they will NOT be available with a simple L/R connection.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
I've done it with things I know to have Dolby surround sound. All of my 360 games state on the back that they support it, the system even has a few different options for it. And yes, my old Audiovox system did split up the channels with the same connections to give an actual surround sound effect.

What kind of cable would I need then? I've tried just a standard A/V and component cables.

John S

Senior HTF Member
What I am asking, is if you hook up the L/R cables. Do you never get DPL or DPLII as an option?

With any system I have ever used if I input L/R and it has 2 channel surround, I have always gotten it as long as I can switch the audio system to DPL or DPLII.

I have no further answers for you on it.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
No, the only DPL button on the receiver or the remote is the DPL II that only works for DVD/CD mode. I can get the surround and the center speaker to play the left and right channels by turning on Super Surround mode but no rear channels, no depths to the sound or anything like that. The thing is supposed to have decoders for Dolby Digital, DPL, and DTS, that and that quote from their site I posted seem to make it stand to reason that it should be able to pick up and decode audio inputs into, at the very least, split audio through DPL if not taking true surround sound encoding from sources that offer it. I've got a message in with their service center too but I haven't heard back yet.

John S

Senior HTF Member
If you cannot get DPL or DPLII up with any source besides the built in DVD/CD player. It will not work period.

That is very weak, welcome to cheap HTIB's in the new mellinnium. :frowning:

Ali_

Grip
Your using the the red and white cables only correct? For True 5.1 dolby digital sound you need to purchase an Optical cable for your xbox 360. should run you about 10 bucks at your local EB for a cheap one. as for your vcr you should be able to get pro logic II surround sound out of you speakers. On your remote control look for a button that says Sound mode. I have an older model panasonic and im HAPPY with it. Just keep playing with it. youll get it sooner or later. however if your still covered under return,id suggest taking a look at the 7.1 Onkyo home theater in a box. thats the one im upgrading too...ket me know if anything i said helpd...

John S

Senior HTF Member
The manual indicates it only works for the internal DVD/CD.... That is exactly what he is experiencing.

Just a cheapie quirk of this HTIB it seems. No DPL/DPLII on external 2 channel sources.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
Yep, thing's a real POS. Talked to the Panasonic product assistance line earlier today, through clenched teeth at times, and this model does not support external surround at all. Definitely one to avoid unless you're just looking to watch movies. Thankfully though, I'm still within the 7 day return period where I bought it so it's getting bundled up and driven back tomorrow morning. Not sure what kind I'm going to get to replace it though, with a $460 budget and not much variety around I just hope I can find something.

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
jesse

look for onkyo HTIB #'s Ht-s680 or Ht-s780. these are probably the only htib's worth the money. If the place your returning it to doesn't sell either one, see if you can get your money back and purchase one of these systems somewhere else.

Jesse>M

Auditioning
Well, I took it back a little while ago but it turns out that not only does the store I got it from not have Onkyo systems, neither does anywhere closer than a couple hours drive away(I did some online checking last night after the recommendations). Aside from that, the store can only refund cash up to $50 and I'm close to broke right now so I checked out the systems they did have and got a JVC THC4(I made sure to get at the manual on this one first, made sure it had an optical port and according to the chart in the manual it supports at least DPL/II for analog inputs) with $112 to spare coming in a check. Thanks for the help guys, any personal opinions on my new system?

John S

Senior HTF Member
No experience with it. But sounds as if it at least has the features you need.

I'd been mad about that Panny as well in all honesty. Crossing my fingers this JVC product is usefull for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks