What's new

Problem with my MBP, or feature? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've noticed with my new MBP that when I close the lid while the computer is still on, and come back a while later and open it up, it does not come back on. I can hear the fan spinning, and the optical drive spins up quckly (like it does when I power the computer on), but the LCD never turns on. I have to power down and reboot. Is this something that is supposed to happen if the computer is kept closed while still on for awhile, or should it wake back up no matter how long it's been closed, assuming I still have battery power left (it was plugged in, btw).

Also, yesterday I had my computer out at work, running on battery power, so I could listen to music in iTunes. The screen had shut down to save power, and according to the battery life indicator I still should have had over an hour of batter life left, but then at one point, the computer just suddenly turned itself off.

I love my new machine, I'm just hoping these aren't problems it's having already!

Brian

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I presumed that was automatic, but I'll check. Also, my Mac just shut itself off again while on battery power. When I rebooted it said it was still at 30%... wonder if I have a battery issue. So far havent had any problems while it's been plugged in.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
It seems like the larger problem is my battery... Three times now my MBP has shut down with about 30% left on the battery indicator. If I try to turn it back on, it just shuts off again right away. I tried reseting the power management chip thing, but either I did it wrong or it just didn't work. I went into system profiler to see my batteries properties, and get this:

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:Sony-ASMB012-36b6-c3bd
Manufacturer:Sony
Device name:ASMB012
Pack Lot Code:0003
PCB Lot Code:0000
Firmware Version:102a
Hardware Revision:0500
Cell Revision:0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh):2919
Fully charged:No
Charging:No
Full charge capacity (mAh):3279
Health Information:
Cycle count:22
Battery health:Fair
Battery Installed:Yes
Amperage (mA):-1417
Voltage (mV):11844

Based of reading the support forums at Apple.com I've learned a few things. One, that this isn't an uncommon problem, and two, a new battery should have a capacity of around 5500 mAh, not the just over 3000 I'm getting. I'm hoping this is just a battery problem. I'm doing the battery calibration procedure right now to see if that works, but I'm betting not. If not, I'll just call AppleCare tomorrow and see if they can send me a new battery.

I'm thinking it's probably isolated to the battery because I've had no problems while plugged in, other than the sleep thing. I found that if I just close the lid again, wait a second, then reopen it, it will wake up.

This is aggravating... I love my new Mac but I've also never had a new PC with issues like this :frowning:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brian, if you're having obvious battery problems, call AppleCare and have it replaced. I had the battery problem, where it was dropped from 98% health to 60% after about 50 cycles. I called AppleCare and they replaced it free.

An easy check is with the iStat Pro Dashboard widget. It reports battery health and cycles.

As for your sleep issue: that's not right. You should never need to reboot to come out of sleep. On my MBP, if it goes to sleep, I would have to press the power button to wake it up (but not press and hold to reboot).

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Yes, I will be calling them tomorrow... the calibration didn't make anything better, in fact it seems to be a bit worse... sigh :frowning: Good thing I like the "Apple experience" because normally I'd swear off the brand and try something else!

:frowning:

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Well I just had a frustrating experience with Apple support. My current battery capacity is listed at just over 3000 mAh currenly, and the tech I talked to said it did not fall under the criteria for battery replacement. Apparently it needs to be at 50% capacity... he had me go through a couple of other procedures to try to fix the premature shutdowns, so I'll need to test that later, but he wasn't willing to replace the battery :frowning: I should have called when I had battery capacity shown to be in the 2000's... grrr!

Oh, and he said what I should do is take the whole computer to a authorized Mac service center or Apple store, which is of course a reasonable request that I would do if I could... but I'm kind of on an island in Alaska, so that's not really that easy...

So I guess I'll just see if the random shutdown thing has been fixed (I doubt it), then just hit an apple store when I'm on vacation here next month. I was hoping I'd get on the phone, tell them what the deal was, and they'd just send me a new battery. I guess that wasn't the case :frowning:

Brian

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brian, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm surprised that iStat reports 40% health, but it's not qualified for replacement. I've since deleted my notes on this, so I don't know what my situation was.

If you continue to have problems in the next few days I'd call AppleCare again and push the issue harder, escalating it to higher levels of authority. A new Mac, a few weeks old, shouldn't have these problems. And since you're in Alaska, it's completely unreasonable to have to take it to a store.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
The folks over in Apple's support discussion forums said to keep calling, either talk to someone else, or ask to speak with Apple Customer Relations. Everyone said I should get a new battery... I just hope that also solves the shutdown problem. I wasn't surprised when I looked at the reviews for the MBP replacement battery and it was only averaging 2 stars out of 5. Everyone seems to have issues with these batteries... you would think Apple would look to a different OEM.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This is my first laptop, so I don't know how Dell and its ilk compare. But I've had my MBP out for a logic board repair already and had the battery replaced.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Ok, I'm going to have to give some kudos to Apple's support people. I was emailed a survey a day or so ago asking me how my experience went, and I said I was very dissatisfied. So this afternoon I get a call from Apple, asking me why I was dissatisified. I explained the problem, the guy ran me through a few checks, and said I definitely need a new battery, so a new one will be on the way! Thank you Apple guy!

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Got my new battery today and plugged it in. So far so good. iStat shows 99% health with 1 cycle, full charge capacity of just over 5400mAh.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:SMP-ASMB012-383c-609
Manufacturer:SMP
Device name:ASMB012
Pack Lot Code:0002
PCB Lot Code:0000
Firmware Version:0110
Hardware Revision:0500
Cell Revision:0200
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh):2825
Fully charged:No
Charging:Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh):5454
Health Information:
Cycle count:1
Battery health:Good
Battery Installed:Yes
Amperage (mA):2496
Voltage (mV):12186

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

using that
I have 837 cycles
96% health
4838 mAh

no idea what it all means
the macbook is about i little over 2 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks