What's new

Problem with Media Player in IE... help! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I was hoping someone could help me out. Whenever a friend tries to d/l a .mp3 or .mpg I sent to her, she gets an error message along the lines of "Windows Media Player cannot find the file extension associated with this file. Please check your IP settings or network connection". That's not a verbatim message - but it's along those lines.

Is there a setting she needs to change to get access to the files I've sent? For what it's worth, she has no problem playing files already on her hard drive - but anything sent in email cannot be played or d/l.

Thanks in advance!

- Rob

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
She needs to do a right-click on explore (from the start menu), and then select Tools - folder options and File types. She can browse down to the right extensions and change them to open with whatever she wants to.

Glenn

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
It's also possible the file name gets mangled on the way over, I guess.

If the .mp3 ending part of the file isn't there, Windows will get confused about what to do with it.

It is possible that gets stripped off the file on the way.

She can open My Computer, select Tools, Folder Options. Then click on the View tab and scroll down in the advanced settings box until she sees "Hide file extensions for known file types" and uncheck that. This will display the .mp3 or .txt or whatever ending of any given file, and if there is no such ending then she needs to rename the files from "songname" to "songname.mp3" (or whatever type the file should be.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks