What's new

Pro class projector (1 Viewer)

I am trying to find some information for a friend of mine who is opening an indy/art movie house. They are slated for 2 35mm screens and I'm begging them to try to squeeze the budget to either have a 3rd smaller screen for digital or to throw a projector in one of the 35 screens so they can go either way. I know there is tons of knowledge here and was wondering what people could throw at me for research beginings.

Was thinking of something at or under $50k USD

How big can you go with what res and what brightness? I have found some 6000 lumen projo's but they are all XGA or SXGA. Are there any reasonalble Hi-Def machines in this arena? What is SXGA gonna look like when it is that big?

If anybody works in a theater with the digital pre-show entertainment (haha), what do you have in the booth there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Barco and Christie seem to be the two main competitors in this arena of projectors. Maybe the closest to what you're looking for is the Barco iCon H600, a 1920x1080 LCD projector with 6000 lumens and an MSRP of $45,000. Most of the other sub-$50k HD projectors I could find probably don't have the kind of brightness you'll need. A better place to ask might be Film-Tech, as many people over there do keep track of this kind of thing or run digital pre-show.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
How big a screen are you trying to push? If you're trying to do main features, i dunno that budget might be kinda small...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Christie Digital's Roadie S-6 is a nice little (quiet) SXGA 3-chip DLP projector, 6000 ANSI lumens, nice contrast, et cetera, et cetera. The body goes for about $35-$40K, lenses extra, and lamps are about $2200/each, lifetime dependant upon usage, of course. (If you max it out, it'll die sooner than if you run it low-power.) Anyway, Christie claims 1000 hours at full power.

It's a fairly nice projector, it might even be bright enough. For the PHANTOM MENANCE showing in digital I saw, they were using a 10K lumen SXGA projector, anamorphic encoded to use the entire chip, with a customized anamorphic lens for the projector.

This was also onto a 50' wide screen (or so.)

The X6 is also a very easy-to-service projector, and with a little practice, the lamp can be changed in about 10 minutes, requiring only a long (14") phillips head screw-driver.

If you've got money to burn, however, the Christie CP2000 is a very nice unit. But it's probably in the neighborhood of $125k plus options. On the other hand, depending on what lamp you put in, you can crank the sucker up to 25k lumens. >1000:1 contrast, and 3 2k DLP chips.

Don't forget, of course, that no matter what projector you put in, you also need the front-end playback hardware, and you need a source for material, and I don't know how that's being distributed right now...

Leo Kerr

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Leo - good point on the source components. Even if you are showing indie films, will they be available on a digital source?

Or, does he want to show DVD's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks