What's new

Pro audio vs consumer audio (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well it wasn't a traditional review and I don't think Arny was getting paid. Another nice pro amp, made in the USA are the lines from Carvin. Look em up and ask for a catalog.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

What the f ? ..Thats pretty wild, Somebody HAS to post this on that avs "amp shootout" thread ;) Seeing how many there rated it better then the Plinius :confused:

It is unusual for Crown at least with their pro-gear to have specs like that. They dont double into 4 and 2 ohms but get fairly close and Crown usually underated their "pro-line" but whats up the the Lx-5 I wonder ?

I do remember a couple of months ago talking to a Crown tech about the K2. I asked him about the Lexicon/crown lx-7 and how it compared to the K2 and the other lines Crown has, He said he didnt have any idea because the Lexicon/crown amps were made somewhere totally different and that it was another Crown "team" who had designed it etc.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I keep trying to figure out how to explain this too. If I was in the market for a Lexicon LX amp, I'd certainly ask Lexicon about it. :) I was actually somewhat surprised the reviewer didn't comment on it, because it certainly is unusual.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Unusual, perhaps, that the rated wattage doesn't always go up as the load goes down, but not unheard of.

It may reflect on the absolute power and/or heat handling of the amplifier and its powersupply. After all, your 'box' may be comfortable at 300w of power handling per channel. (That's 600 watts max, you know. That's a lot of heat.)

If you doubled that into a 4ohm load, suddenly you've got the heat load of a fairly high powered toaster in that one or two rack space.

If you double that again, think about it. How the ---- are you going to dissipate 2400 watts of heat?! Especially in a small box? Now, if it's a 6RU box with a lot of fans, well, that's different now, isn't it?

Leo Kerr

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well... It does have a fan. ;)

4 to 2 ohms, I agree. But this is the first time I've personally seen an amp not increase power from 8 ohms to 4. (And I have about a 4" stack of saved amp reviews from various different publications. A lot of them with measurements.)

One of my thought processes is: maybe it's "optimized" for 8 ohm loads, but that doesn't really make sense either.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
The Crown k2 is 500x2 @ 8 ohms and 1250x2 @ 2 ohms and it doesnt have any fans or heat sinks and it has a small chassis to boot. Most of the other crown lines have similar specs with regards to watts into ohms.
Maybe the review of the Lexicon is a misprint ?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the K2 is a digital amp, though?

I thought about a misprint, or incorrect testing too. But if you look through the site, they do a lot of reviews so I'm guessing they have a clue what they're doing.

Here's the only other test results I could find, of the CX series though:

HT Mag, CX-7: 198W/ch (2 ch) into 8 ohms, 341W/ch (presumably 2 ch) into 4 ohms. 0.1% distortion. So that looks OK.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Well, I comment on heat-loading was based off of... oh, what is it called? There's a fancy term for, in essence, a 'guess based on reasonable assumptions.'

Leo Kerr

groovyslick

Auditioning
Real Name
groovy
I know this is an old thread..but I am new here.

So I have an xls602 I run my subs on and I am having a problem.

when I turn the amp off it sends a "pop" to my subs. it is enough that you can see the excusion of the driver. I have done the proper shut down sequence.. still happens. I have unhooked the input before I turn it off.. it still happens.

I am running an rca from my H/K pre-amp to an adapter I got at guitar center to xlr. I am wondering if it is a balanced/unbalance issue or something else.

how do I eliminate the pop?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks