What's new

Prince of persia....anyone play the demo?? (1 Viewer)

Dave Cukina

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought this months issue of oxm and it came with the demo and so I was wondering if I could get other peoples impressions of the demo. I played it through a few times and so far think its absolutely great except for some camera issues that I'm sure they will sort out in time for the release. This will definitely be a purchase for me.

I'd love for some more opinions.

Dave

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Cool. :emoji_thumbsup: I saw the video clip of this in last month's disc and it looked pretty amazing. Looking forward to checking it out.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Played it at E3. It was one of the surprise hits that I could have cared less about going in. Looks to be another killer title on Xbox. :emoji_thumbsup:

Haven't played the demo though.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Yes, I've spent plenty of time with the demo. I've actually played completely through it about 5 times now, just to see it again. If it weren't for the niggling camera issues, I'd hail this as the second coming. I'm really amazed how they captured that intangible PoP feel with this new engine. I love the slightly "neon" look to the game. The agility and controls are awesome. It just feels rewarding to pull off a wall-run, even though it's so simple to pull off. My favorite one right now is a wall-run over a group of the popup spikes so common from the original PoP, jumping off the wall onto a ladder. The presentation is slick, and I really enjoy the sands of time foreshadowing of the level showing things that are to come and giving hints into how to approach the level.

Cameras are buggers, and I'm desperately hoping they perfect it, because if they do this is truly a title to desire.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
OK, I hadn't heard about this (maybe I should subscribe to OXM). Is this a port of PoP 3 (I think I played that on the DC? Or some other console, don't remmeber, that was a full 3rd person action-adventure game), or is it a brand new game?

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the demo and I absolutely love it. I too have played through it 5 or 6 times now. I just can't seem to put it down. I'm actually going to play through it again when I get home from work. I haven't played a demo this much since I got the Metal Gear Solid demo for PS1 and I still love that game.

At first I thought the camera seemed a little weird but I don't even notice it now. The horizontal wall run and vertical wall run (w/ backflip) are now two of my favorite videogame moves of all time. The acrobatics are awesome and provide a sense of accomplishment without being too difficult. I can't wait to get this game.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Just picked up the new OXM last night, and haven't had a chance to pop the disc in yet! Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

(I fondly remember playing the original PoP...great game for the time!)

Dave Cukina

Stunt Coordinator
I must have played it through about 8 times now and still can't get enough of it!! The production time on this game shows really well, everything just seems to 'fit' I definitely think this is going to be a hit for the holiday's and can't wait to get myhands on it.

The best thing about it is that the controls are very user friendly and you don't need to do crazy things to pull off some of the special moves. This demo alone is worth the purchase of oxm!!

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case you guys were wondering...OPM has a deal right now where you can get a two year subscription for $49.97 if you pay with a credit card.

I was actually considering not renewing but that was too good of a deal to pass up.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Yes awesome demo! Anyone remember the Super Famicom version of Prince of Persia? I'd say it was the definitive version of the original, & one of my favorite games of all time.

"Sands Of Time" keeps the feel of the original, while incorporating great new style, & play mechanics. It has the sort of challenge that while I'd expect it to get very difficult, the urge to continue playing will be impossible to resist. The combat is fun as well. This game oozes coolness, & is just so very slick!

If they can touch up the camera issues, & add the ability to skip the level into/cut scenes (these scenes are cool, but no need to see them after dying again & again), the game may just be perfect!

I've been somewhat bored with most games lately. This demo has really renewed my gaming interest. Can't wait!

Todd

George Monroy

Stunt Coordinator
I was hyped about this game and after playing it I am still interested but I hope they fix the camerra and the controls. The controls seem sluggish. I know it is just a demo though so I hope they change it.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I saw the game in action on GSN Video Games last night & it looks like an excellent game. GSN Video Games is a weekly video game TV show on Game Show Network.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

My sentiments too. Based on the trial-and-error nature of the game being forced to view the cut scenes every time you restart is a real pain. Everything else was great though.

James T

Screenwriter
I had the chance to play this game on Sunday. Awsome game. It's what Tomb Raider should have evolved to. But I still can't pass the last puzzle, where you have to wall run and then jump to the ladder. I know I'll eventually get, but it's just frustrating(not frustrating enough to prevent me from buying it :))

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Are you talking about where the spikes come up? Either way, tap the left trigger to enable slow motion and that should help.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
James,

Following up on what Cameron stated, you can also hold the left trigger down to rewind a mistake. I didn't realize this at first. That made things much easier. I hope it doesn't make the game too easy honestly. So along with the rewind, try closely paying attention as to where your jump spot is on the wall, & change where you jump from accordingly.

As also mentioned this is one of those "trial & error" type games. If earlier PoP games are any indication, I expect & really desire this one to get quite challenging as the game goes on.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread