What's new

Price is Right-Bob's last episode June 15th (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Anyone plan on watching Bob Barker's last Price is Right episode on June 15th?

Theres been lots of rumors as what the last show will entail.

Some have said a rare million dollar prize at the end.
Others have said a car for everyone.

I just want to watch to see how Bob says goodbye and what they plan on doing for him

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The last episode tapes today, I believe, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some details of it leak online within the next couple of days.

I don't know what CBS will do for him. They already did two one-hour, prime-time specials honoring Bob/the show last month so I think it'll pretty much be a normal show with bigger prizes, and something at the end. But I wouldn't expect old clips of the show or anything, they did that on last month's specials.

And BTW, CBS will re-air his final episode at 8pm ET on the 15th.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watch it ever day on my DVR, so I'll watch it. Sadly, I think the show will die with his departure. Barring someone like Rosie, I'll try just about any replacement, but I don't think it can be the same.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Any idea who the new host will be or when they'll start taping again?

No offense to Bob, but I think game shows are watched more for the game itself than the host. Bob wasn't the original host of this show. Also see Jeopardy and many other shows that have successfully continued with different hosts.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He was the original host of this form of the show. The original show was completely different, and there's no way Todd Newton or Mario Lopez can just step in without a hitch. That the host isn't the show may be true of a lot of shows, but it is not true of the Price is Right.

And, no host has been announced. Last I heard, Mario Lopez and some guy named Mark Steinz or something like that were in the lead for the job.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I fear that at the very least, once Bob leaves, they are going to completely retool the show and "modernize" it

One of the things I liked about TPIR is that for all those years, nothing much changed about the show. The sets never changed even the 70s style music was retained.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That's what I like, too. I can't stand the modern music and new sets of the new Family Feud. That old "backwoods feud" music was great. I'd buy a CD of the Price is Right music. I bet they'll definitely lose the "elegant furniture showcase music."

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Well, the prices changed with inflation, but other than that I agree. The show basically has a time continuity all of its own, and it's Bob Barker who has kept it that way. That's a huge part of the show's appeal for a lot of people, and hopefully the production company, FremantleMedia (known on some game show boards as "DismantleMedia"), will realize this. I couldn't bear to hear those great old music cues be thrown out for tuneless techno pulsations.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mark Steines is the co-host of Entertainment Tonight with Mary Hart.

I'm not sure why he'd want to give up rubbing elbows with celebrities to talk about the price of "Preparation H" with the common folk, but...maybe it pays better?

Joe_H

Screenwriter
They'd be better off just airing reruns, I know Bob wasn't the original host, but he pretty much defined the show, nobody associates the show with anyone but him. It was bad enough when the announcer died, and they had to replace him.

They can't cancel it though, that'd leave nothing for kids to watch when they stay home from school (I don't know of a single person in my age group, who wouldn't watch it on a sick day.)

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I'll definitely be watching the final episode.

Put me in the group that feels Bob is what draws people to show.

Last I heard, George Hamilton is the front runner for replacing Bob.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So long Bob, it was great "knowin'" ya! ;)

Glad to hear the last episode will be rerun in prime time. I wouldn't want to have to skip work. :)

I'm sure they'll change up the show in various ways. Whether it'll still be good or not is up in the air, but it'll certainly be different. George Hamilton would be a good choice for host, at least in terms of complexion.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That happened twice -- first with Johnny Olson, then Rod Roddy.

When the HTF attended the show, Roddy warmed up the audience with some surprisingly blue comedy material. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Yep! They delivered it to my office -- in midtown Manhattan! :D

I ended up selling it to a guy I worked with, who gave it to his teenaged son so he could make himself useful. :) My driveway at the time was tiny and sunk into the side of a hill, with concrete walls, so the blower would've been a waste for me (although I could've used it on the sidewalk).

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a fan of The Price is Right all my life. I wasn't even born yet when Bob Barker began his hosting duties with the show's first episode in 1972, but that hasn't stopped me loving the show.

I think the last episode will be just like any other episode, perhaps with bigger prizes, but since they already had the two primetime specials last month, I don't think they'll do anything overly special for this one.

If anyone here is interested, I am a member of www.golden-road.net which is a large fan site about the show. We even host a chatroom during the airing of the show. The site's gotten more hits as of late because of Bob's retirement.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The show wasn't anything to special.

But don't forget it airs tonight again!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A few big prizes, but nothing that hasn't been done before. They do those big Cadillac showcases every now and again. The thing that set it apart from other shows was the guy in the audience who brought his own confetti. He did a good thing there.

I watch all the time, but this is the first time I've noticed contestants from earlier in the week scattered throughout the audience. That was kind of odd. One girl in the front row was in the showcase a few days ago, while a girl who reminded me of Jan Brady a couple of days ago was way in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks