What's new

Pressure mounts on U to turn Blu (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yes, but traditionally comedies are not big sellers on HDM either. Why? I imagine it might have something to do with the preception (I would say the incorrect preception) that comedies to do benefit as much from an HD presentation as say a comic book movie.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Only about 20 James Bond films, but they aren't popular or anything. ;) and Lawrence of Arabia (if they hold off), Bridge on the River Kwai, Guns of Navarone, Das Boot, Leon the Professional, Ghostbusters, Close Encounters, Starship Troopers (If they hold off), Crouching Tiger (if they hold off).

After taking the plunge on an HD-DVD player in April I have to say that leaked Q4 lineup by Universal has me a wee bit pissed. I was expecting some Hitchcock, Scarface, Conan, Uni Monsters and at least a half dozen other worthy titles to justify my purchase. I didn't spend almost $600 on a player to watch Patch fuckin Adams, Mobsters and upconverted DVD's. :angry:

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I do not see much of anything announced with release dates from any studio that has me very excited about the 4th quarter purchases. This is not a Universal issue. Both BD and HD studios have pretty dismal release schedules.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

The difference is that with Universals Q4 lineup the cat is already out of the bag. But yes, the other studios could very well dissapoint as well. We'll see.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Well, to be fair, we think the cat is out of the bag. We don't know that it is out, and I'm kinda hoping it isn't because I'm with you in feeling underwhelmed by it.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

This has been one reason why I haven´t bought the HD DVD-player yet. Like I said in another thread, Universal would be the only reason (well, quality upscaling is also nice, but..) for me to go "dual"..

I still also kinda agree, that there aren´t major titles (for me!) coming from any studio (I´ll buy several, though). I like some of these upcoming mainstream-releases, but it´s not that I *really really* want Matrix or PiratesOTC over the zillion titles that are more interesting for me.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I think some of Universals releases are out of the bag, not all. As far as the other studios, Fox in particular, their releases might also already be out of the bag, meaning very little in releases.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

This is purely a matter of opinion, so it really isn't very useful to "debate" it in my opinion. However, titles like The Matrix, and PotC, as well as Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Evil Dead II, and Halloween are all very high on my wish lists. There are also strong rumors of Bram Stoker's Dracula, Spider-man trilogy, etc., which I also hold in high regard. To me, I feel there's enough material coming out in HD to suspend SD purchasing altogether next year.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, the solid prospects for BD exclusives this Q4 are much more to my liking if they pan out and we all know how that goes. POTC 3, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Halloween, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Spider-Man trilogy, Starship Troopers, LOA, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Sin City, Narnia, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Crimson Tide, are all high on my want list and their release on BD this year ranges from pretty solid to a probable chance. I'm not counting on anything from Fox/MGM at all.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

I can't imagine short term profits are the issue. If Universal would start releasing Blu-ray titles, the idiotic format war could be over quickly and maybe some modest profits could be seen at some future date.

Chris

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

Probably because it's very likely that HD DVD will never *win* this war and can at best only hope to co-exist.

For Blu-Ray, they have a shot. With only 1 format, you're sure to gain greater HDM adoption immediately from those fence sitting, and others can be gained more quickly since there is no more confusion.

I've always wanted Blu-Ray to win as it's the more future proof tech, but at the end of the day I really don't care. Having ONE format is more important to me than WHAT format.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Or you have less. There is a question as to whether the 400k HD DVD owners will actually move to BD if HD dies.

As far as fence sitters, I think the number of hold out's due to the war is one of the most exaggerated consumer market group currently talked about. With nearly 500k stand alone players currently sold (US numbers) and the likely 400 or 500 k PS3's that were purchased as BD players, we have probably accounted for darn near every HT enthusiast there is in the US.

I believe when the remaining fence sitters actually decide to make a purchase, the number will be so small, no one will notice.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I think we should temper our disappointment regarding what we believe to be fourth quarter releases and wait for Adam's report from Graffeo. I am starting to read that this EMA is turning out to be a dud for both formats. :frowning:

Brian Kaz

Second Unit

Reading various forums, I get the feeling that many of HD DVD's most staunch supporters seem to believe this.

The bottom line is: HDM is only just an infant at the moment. This is a long term upgrade for Home video. Once you get 1080p and uncompressed sound, you really don't need anything better in your home (until HYPER-REAL HOLOGRAPHIC 3D shows up, that is!).

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

So you don´t believe that there will be a "winner"? Both co-exist or both die? Personally, I don´t see that we can skip that "3rd option"..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks