1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Press Release: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Celebrated 90 Years of Extraordinary Filmmaking

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Fox was playing catch-up to Warner. Warner released far more classic titles from 2007-2012. But let's just ignore everything they released prior to 2013 for a convenient yet incomplete narrative...

Robin9 likes this.
  2. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Again, it seems WB isn't allowed to use "MGM" or "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer" branding on their products because MGM is still a registered trademark. That's why many of there MGM sets use more roundabout ways for advertising them, like the "Dream Factory" collections and so-forth.

Throughout most of the '90s, Warner Brothers was allowed to use the MGM branding and trademark, such as when they went about making a documentary miniseries called MGM: When the Lion Roared, because Warner Brothers had struck a deal with MGM/UA that allowed MGM's home video department to release the WB-owned MGM classics, which lasted up until 1999.

As to why they don't work together anymore, my guess is that MGM's current arrangements with 20th Century Fox make it a sticky proposition.

And let's not be too quick to forget Fox's 75th anniversary in 2010. Compared to the other anniversaries that have popped up since, it was one big dud.

3. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Warner did license the Mad Max BD from MGM for the recent US Trilogy release. They were also able to license The Terminator in 2012 for the Anthology box (and even more amazing, Terminator 2 from the extremely difficult to license from Lionsgate).

4. ahollis

ahollis Producer

Allen
    That will never happen. Why should they help? Warner would not share profits in order to release them and MGM would not allow then to use their trademarked logo on titles they have no monetary interest in. Yes I know the lion is on all the pre 1986 MGM films but there was agreement to allow the Leo to stay on all elements when Ted Turner purchased them. I used to have an aversion to the anniversaries that use so much of past films that another company made, such as Warner using MGM and RKO or Universal using Paramount, but I came to realization that those titles belong to them and are now a part if their history and the anniversary is about the company, not the films.

5. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    True. Plus, anything that gets the films released is a good thing, regardless of whether it's under the banner of its original studio.

Danny Burk and ahollis like this.
  6. Osato

Osato Screenwriter

Has this been confirmed???

7. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I just want the films out and I want them to look as good as they possibly can. I couldn't care less whether or not they're part of some "collection" that's basically just an excuse to bundle up second-rate movies with the first-rate ones people actually want to buy (i.e. the Disney direct-to-video sequels on Blu-ray strategy).

8. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I wouldn't call A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More second rate in the likes of Disney DTV sequels by any means.And no, nothing has been confirmed yet.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Osato likes this.
  9. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    I certainly wouldn't in regards to the first 3 "man with no name" films. Not even Rocky (well, most of them...)

However, I did feel that way about the Magnificent Seven sequels. I think it took a full year for the original movie to be available as a standalone. Though now that full collection is almost as cheap as the standalone, so it's a great deal all-around.

I'm more annoyed at this TGTB&TU because it's a complete double dip with only one film likely to receive an improvement.