What's new

Press Release: Disney Treasures Wave 2 (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Though later released as a separate short, "How to Ride a Horse" was originally part of the feature "Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studios" (aka "The Reluctant Dragon"), and will therefore be on that DVD. "Goofy's Freeway Troubles" as well as "Freewayphobia," though both featuring Goofy, were educational short subjects, not produced specifically for theatrical distribution. The latter two (or sections thereof) were occasionally seen in the Disney TV show. I don't know if they ever had an eventual theatrical release, but I doubt it.

ChrisLee

Stunt Coordinator
Oui... Now I have to buy 3 sets rather then two. Its a conspiracy to bankrupt me *sigh*. Oh well clarification is always welcome.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Goofy's Freeway Troubles" as well as "Freewayphobia," though both featuring Goofy, were educational short subjects, not produced specifically for theatrical distribution.
Hmm...I still like to have these--plus the "I'm No Fool" series of educational shorts narrated by Jiminy Cricket. I think these originally aired on the Mickey Mouse Club, but I saw them in school in the 70s.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
An educational-shorts box set would be cool...I could finally be able to see the "What Should I Do?" cartoons again!

What happened to the set of Disney Wartime animation that was supposed to have been the 4th release in this set of Disney Treasures? Has it been canceled or is it just delayed? If it is still going to be released will we have to wait another whole year?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Is the pig teats scene different from the scene where he pulls the piglets tails as they are sucking on momma? I know the version on the Disney Channel sensored this and other scenes from SBW.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Wasn't there supposed to be a Maltin commentary during Reluctant Dragon? Did I just make that up? I thought this was mentioned. Did it get dropped?
Amazon claims "All-new audio commentary by Leonard Maltin"

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Even though I have the MM BW LD box set AND the VHS 3-pack with The Reluctant Dragon, I think all three Treasures sets are among my most important must-buys this year.

---

Paul Penna wrote: "One final note: since Goofy is in "Mickey's Mellerdrammer," "The Complete Goofy" really isn't."

Goofy is in a lot of Mickey shorts, so by that logic a lot of titles are missing from The Complete Goofy...

---

ChrisLee wrote: "Is there a particular reason why How To Ride A Horse and Goofy's Freeway Trouble are not being included in the Complete Goofy Set? From the list I've been going by, 48 Goofy shorts were made. They are gonna give us 46."

Goofy's Freeway Trouble and the one you didn't mention, Freewayphobia No. 1, are both from 1965. Apart from the fact that they can be seen as "educational" films, they are also quite a bit longer, about 15 minutes. That is probably a reason why they're not included in the set.

A set of Disney educational films would be great, though.

---

Larry Geller wrote: "Mickey Mouse In B&W Vol 2 was released in Japan in a red box."

Not quite, I think - if this is the set I think it is. The JP red box is titled Mickey Mouse - A Star Is Born. It includes both BW and color MM shorts. Most of the BW shorts are included on the Vol 1 set, some are not.

---

Robert Hutchison wrote: "What happened to the set of Disney Wartime animation that was supposed to have been the 4th release in this set of Disney Treasures? Has it been canceled or is it just delayed? If it is still going to be released will we have to wait another whole year?"

For what it's worth: A while ago, someone who claimed he had the right connections told that this set has not been cancelled. They are apparently still "working on it", for some reason.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the picture links, David VP.
The wave 1 sets, of which I have the two featuring animation, are presently the classiest looking of my collection.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Not quite, I think - if this is the set I think it is. The JP red box is titled Mickey Mouse - A Star Is Born. It includes both BW and color MM shorts. Most of the BW shorts are included on the Vol 1 set, some are not.
No, it was B&W Vol 2. I didn't buy it because the were selling it for over $200, but it was on display in Tower Records in lower Manhattan for over a year, & I used to drool over it regularly :D . You must be talking about yet another box.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I am looking forward to the new sets.
I have the two animated sets from the first set.
I already have silver colored plastic double disc cases
to replace the black cases. The silver cases look better
with the silver jacket cover.
I got the silver cases from www.inetdvd.com
I also hope that Steven Wesley makes another special
index like he did for the black and white set. see;
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=77995

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
You know, on laserdisc, Disney never did as good of a job on releasing their animated shorts as Warner and Turner/MGM did.
Come on, Warner, show us your stuff! Disney is showing you up on DVD! :)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
My flub about "Mickey's Mellerdrammer" and Goofy (the fact that he's in it, but the cartoon isn't in "The Complete Goofy") was pointed out elsewhere. "The Complete Goofy" is, in fact, devoted to Goofy solo cartoons, which I should have realized.

Word I've seen on other forums about "The War Years" is that certain rights problems had to be resolved. Most of the cartoons on the set have never been on broadcast, much less home, video before, whereas most of the Mickey and Goofys have been one way or another. The latest I've heard is that the rights problems have been pretty much settled.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Maybe they're still trying to decide whether to include [TITLE CENSORED] on the set. I hope they do include it...

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Maybe they're still trying to decide whether to include [TITLE CENSORED] on the set. I hope they do include it...
Me too. But I also want that full-length animated feature that's never seen the light of day in full since WWII.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Umm...What the heck is "[TITLE CENSORED]"? Was that the actual name of it or did an admin edit out the name in the posts for some reason?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
I hope "Der Fuhrer's Face" will be included. Is that the "Title Censored" by the way?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
The cut was authorized by Walt in 1953...he found it tasteless. That is why the print the Disney Channel showed with this scene intact was a very, very scratchy/dirty print.
Jeffrey is this the scene where Mickey pulls on the pigs tails while they are suckling or is it a different scene?

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I'm not Jeffrey, but the "Steamboat Willie" scene in question has Mickey picking up the mama pig, turning her on her back on his lap and poking out the tune on her teats. The excision of the scene is not done particularly gracefully; there's an abrupt switch to a squawking parrot either right before or after, I forget which.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks