What's new

Presence speaker - help (1 Viewer)

WRXBOX

Auditioning
Real Name
Randall
I’m currently using some small speakers I had laying around for my presence speakers, I was wondering if I should upgrade these to something decent and if it’d be worth while and what would be recommended?

Here’s my current setup:
Yamaha RX-V1400 amp
B & W speakers; DM602 S2 Fronts, DM601 S2 surround and DM600 S3 surround back
Aaron subwoofer SUB-120
Bose VCS-10 centre speaker

Also any comments on my current setup would be appreciated, good or bad.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of using presence speakers, it's gimmicky. I would stick with the B&Ws.

The GLARING problem in your system is that Bose center channel. Whatever people may say in terms of flaming Bose, they do make some decent speakers. This is not one of them. The VC10 is unacceptably terrible. Definitely you need to replace that with a center commensurate with those 602s. I would do that first and immediately before you even think of anything else.

WRXBOX

Auditioning
Real Name
Randall
How about a B & W HTM7 Centre? I just found one for $650 aust.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The LCR600 would be a better match for your system unless you plan to upgrade your mains to the 700 series soon.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
On the presence question.....
I have used presence speakers off and on over the last ten years. I am currently using them in my system after not using them the past 4 years because of placement issues in my former home. I've been using various Yamaha receivers for 15 years that has some very good dsp settings that make pretty good use of presence. Right now, I am using a RX-V1 with an assortment of Aragon, Acurus, HK amps. My music/movies dvd watcing is pretty even with me spending half my time in the "sweet spot". Being recently disabled, I spend a LOT of time listending to my system and enjoy showing it off !! Using some outboard amps with some stong older JBL mains x 2, I recently began using Energy Take 6 as my presence. To me, presence requires very good placement and the Yams seem to make use of them according dsp being used. Turning presence off and on during my listening sessions confirms to me that well placed presence DOES add to a home theater soundstage with music times typically using a dsp that doesn't make use of them. I like'em when they are being used if I am in my sweet spot. They never draw any attention but I do feel they add to some movies and never detract from any soundstage. The Illusionist dvd has an electric charge scene that is a very good example of what some good well placed presence really can do to a soundstage.

I am happy to be in a location that allows me pretty much perfect placement (although smaller than I would like)...... I use presence and like'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks