What's new

"Premium" movie channels - any letterbox? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting ready to sign up for cable at my new house, and it looks like the best package that they have with Biography is one that includes two "Premium" channels. I was planning on getting HBO because my wife and I like their original programming.

My question is this: do any of the "premium" movie channels ever show movies in letterbox? I'm uninterested in 4x3 pan & scan movies. Should I opt for Starz, Cinemax, or Showtime or does it matter?

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Starz has on occasion shown films OAR, but it is not a regular occurrence. HBO has opted for a widescreen presentation of The Sopranos for the past few seasons, but their movies are all pan and scan.

The only regular premium channels that really respect aspect ratio are The Sundance Channel and IFC, although IFC still shows the bulk of it's films P&S (for example, The Minus Man is on right now in 4:3). Also, TCM is very good about OAR, but they aren't a premium channel.

I also seem to recall that Fox Movie Classics had some OAR showings, but I don't receive it now so I can't really confirm that.

I don't think I've ever seen an OAR presentation of a film on Cinemax or Showtime. As far as the "does it matter" question, that's entirely up to you.

I'd recommend both HBO and Showtime for their original programming, but you should continue to get your film watching entertainment from DVD rentals and purchases.

Brad

JohnAP

Second Unit
I've always found it strange that they would broadcast their tv shows in widescreen, but not their movies.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Even the original programming is usually broadcast in a 4:3 alternative, in repeats and on some of the sister channels (e.g., HBO2). After all, this is HBO, the channel that's so committed to the "no black bars" crowd that it prepares specially cropped 16:9 versions of 2.35:1 films for its hi-def broadcasts.

M.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
turner's movie channel shows in oar for many movies.
if youhave access to directv you can get hdnet movies they are all in hd and oar.

also hbo-hd shows allmost all wide but very few are oar.

showtime hd is almost all oar.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Not sure if this veers of topic but....

I have been very impresssed so far with Starz!-HD even though the majority of it's offerings have not in fact been OAR. They had a mess of a time getting LOTR;FOTR right last month (they finally did show it OAR) as well as two towers (which they showed 1.78 cropped).

But then they made me happy by showing Top Gun this afternoon. Excellent HD transfer - the movie looked and sounded brilliant.

Well worth the money IMHO.

Michael.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Flix shows a few letterbox movies every month, but that network's a rather rare commodity.

I third the mention of TCM as well.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

The letterbox Flix flicks are mainly from the UA library.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks