What's new

Predictions For 2014 (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
With only 2 and a half months left in the year and most of the releases already announced for the remainder of the year, IMO it's not too early too take some educated guesses for next years releases. here's my own take:

WA - Warner has already stated in different places that they are currently working on Eddies Father Season 3, Daktari Season 3, Kildare Season 2, and Medical Center Season 4, so I believe those are safe bets. Also pretty sure on Alice and Falcon Crest. Just can't remember what seasons they are on.
They appear committed to The FBI so with the news that season 6 is out, I'm predicting 7 and 8 will come out next year.
I'm also gonna take a guess that Maverick finishes out before the end of the year.

CBS - I took heat from the previous post but I will still take some shots on this. Frankly I don't know too read them lately regarding their commitment to classic releases, but I suppose If I had to be pinned down, I'd say 2 more Bonanza and two more Gunsmoke. I'll say one more of BH and PJ respectively. Beyond that, I can't even begin to guess.

TMG - We've already been told about MMTC and I don't know what they would even license, so I won't call this one.

Shout - Classic TV = nothing this year. They finished Hazel and I think they will continue to move toward newer stuff. Green Acres would be the only thing that might have a fighting chance here.

Time/Life - No idea what big box set they will choose for next year. I'll take a stab in the dark and say St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, or LA Law. We know it must be a long runner so I can't think of any others that would be big sellers that would fit the bill.

The Rifleman set will also finally come out.

VEI - Love Boat - Licensed from CBS

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
We had three seasons of "The FBI" released this year and with three more to go, it's a safe bet it will be finished in 2014 as will "Maverick". With "Kildare" the question is will we get one season or two?

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
For WHV/WAC, I think the odds are good we may see more How the West Was Won, the question is just whether it will stay WHV or go to the Archives. I think that the odds are good they might also finish up the western Sugarfoot (with both remaining seasons also exclusives). With Cheyenne being finished, and Maverick and Sugarfoot being finished, I would be surprised if they don't manage to start at least one more western series to eep going with.
For CBS, I agree with you about Gunsmoke and Bonanza, and we can probably include at least one season of Dynasty and one of Rawhide. I think (or at least hope) that we will actually get at least two seasons each of BH and PJ. I think they will probably resurrect at least one or more shows, but what I have no idea.
When it comes to Fox-owned/distributed properties, I hope we will FINALLY see The Bob Newhart Show and/or Newhart, since there has been some talk for a while now about one of them being continued. Whether it will be Fox themselves, or Shout, or even TGG I have no idea. I also hope to see Green Acres finally resurrected, but likely by either Fox or TGG. I just don't see it being Shout, since so far the only indications of the Fox/Shout relationship being repaired is on one Fox-owned show, and none of the MGM shows. Admittedly, Green Acres is going to be confusing as to what will be done, since we still don't understand their reasoning in re-releasing the third season. About the closest I can figure on that is that, if an old thread about GA is correct, the rights might have been fuzzy when MGM switched from Sony to Fox for distributing their titles, and this might have been their way of saying it was fixed, although that still doesn't fully explain why the re-release instead of moving on with Season 4.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I really do hope that CBS is committed to more seasons of BH and PJ but I'm sure sales figures will be the main factor. According to the the syndication bible, no further seasons of each have been remastered than those already released so I think we can be guardedly optimistic on these two at best.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to guess that Disney Exclusives will finish of The Gummi Bears set 2, Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers 3' Ducktales 3 or 4, and release complete sets of Aladdin, Recess, and Hercules (the Disney weekday animated series)Disney Exclusives did several tv shows this way this summer.I do think Time-Life or whatever name they call themselves now will put out Sisters, I'll Fly Away, or Eddie. Maybe the Wonder Years if we're lucky.James

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
JamesSmith said:
I do think Time-Life or whatever name they call themselves now will put out Sisters, I'll Fly Away, or Eddie. Maybe the Wonder Years if we're lucky.James
We'd have to be VERY lucky to get The Wonder Years from Time-Life, as they seem to be getting worse and worse at clearing music. That's a sad irony for a record company.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I predict that the ongoing debate of "Physical Media vs. Streaming Media" will be ongoing.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
I predict animated shows will continue to be neglected. Getting cartoons out of the Warner Archive will be like pulling teeth, Shout Factory won't license any more Nickelodeon shows and other companies won't step up either.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

-St. Elsewhere the complete series from Time Life(I agree with Frank, as this has been a long rumored release)

-CHIPS seasons 3, and 4 from Warner archive

-More seasons of The Love Boat

-Growing Pains seasons 4, and 5

-Hart to Hart season 3, and 4 MOD

-The Gobots complete series(in 2 volumes) from Warner

-Misfits Of Science the complete series from Shout Factory

-Lassie is finally free and clear from DreamWorks this year, and is ready for someone to take it over and prep it for proper season sets on dvd(4th quarter at the absolute earliest).....come on SHout Factory don't fail me now! Blu-Ray?

-Lost In Space the complete first season on Blu-Ray

-Star Trek Voyager and DS9 1st and second seasons on Blu-Ray

-Mr. Belvedere remaining seasons...not Shout Factory but some one else possibly

-What a Country the complete syndicated series on dvd

-Head Of The Class season 1 on dvd

-Perfect Strangers season 3 on MOD

-Battlestar Galactica(original series) and Buck Rogers find their way to Blu-Ray.

-The Dukes Of Hazard is the first classic tv series from WB to make it to Blu-ray

-Daniel Boone re-releases on dvd season 1,2, and 3.

-Ripley's Believe it Or Not the complete series from the early 80's with Jack and Holly Palance makes a stunning debut from a great company VEI. This dvd set will be much like the In Search Of.. set and will retail for about $120.

-The Star Wars Holiday Special. Call me crazy will you? This fully remastered dvd starring Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, and Mark Hamill will be released to record breaking numbers in sales of units. A sure fire hit for fans and nostalgia seekers alike. Bonus features: rare outtakes of the special, and a commentary by Luke Skywalker himself Mark Hamil.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Bryan^H said:

-Hart to Hart season 3, and 4 MOD

-Lost In Space the complete first season on Blu-Ray

-Battlestar Galactica(original series) and Buck Rogers find their way to Blu-Ray.

-The Dukes Of Hazard is the first classic tv series from WB to make it to Blu-ray

-Daniel Boone re-releases on dvd season 1,2, and 3.

-Ripley's Believe it Or Not the complete series from the early 80's with Jack and Holly Palance makes a stunning debut from a great company VEI. This dvd set will be much like the In Search Of.. set and will retail for about $120.
You're talking my language!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I thought Lassie was under the control of "Classic Media". Their logo comes up when viewed in syndication and they put out a few sampler sets on DVD in the past. I just assumed they weren't big into DVD releases which is why we haven't seen more of it on DVD. Is there more to it?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Bryan^H said:
As much as I would love to see this on bluray, I'm not particularly optimistic about this happening in the near future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I spoke with Jon Provost(Timmy) and his wife Laurie. They were very kind, and casual in discussing Lassie. He told me DreamWorks was in control of Lassie(this was in 2012) and that a planned LAssie animated series was scrapped from DreamWorks and they had no interest in Lassie anymore. They lose the rights to Lassie in 2014.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
According to Wiki (I know not always accurate) and IMDB the Lassie TV show is owned by Classic Media (From Wiki: Classic Media currently owns the rights to the entire Lassie television series, as well as the Lassie trademark). Since they currently syndicate it and are the only one's to release DVD's it would seem to be accurate. Maybe something changes that in 2014, but if so you would think they would do a release before then. I Also recall the person that used to sell a bootleg set made form Canada stating his stuff would always be removed from sites when Classic Media complained.

Could it be that DreamWorks also has some trademark with Lassie from the movies (and the original animated series) and has the ability to put out something new related to Lassie, but has no control over the original TV show? This news about DreamWorks just doesn't seem to add up with what we are seeing with Classic Media. Maybe someone else here with additional information can shed some more light on the DreamWorks side of this.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Okay...after a few searches I see that DreamWorks bought Classic Media in the summer of 2012. However, there is no mention of rights lapsing. I know they purchased it for a variety titles other than just Lassie (e.g., Lone Ranger, Rocky and Bullwinkle), but why pay $155 million if any of the rights would lapse?

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I'm really going to out on a limb, and guess (that's the word) that WB Archives will start putting out CHIPS (from season three on), and do they have the rights to Trapper John MD?james

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
rmw650 said:
Frank, I heard sales for both these shows have been very good so far and hoping we'll definitely be seeing more of these two shows, Green Acres, Love, American Style and maybe Perfect Strangers along with Rhoda and Caroline in the City and Mad About You.
Someone had reported on here a while back that there was no usable elements left for Love, American Style beyond season 1, so we won't be seeing that one.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
THese are not predictions. Merely a rundown of my ultimate fantasy wishes for 2014.

Unstalling of these titles
-Burke's Law
-Big Valley
-Bob Newhart Show
-Love Boat
-Fantasy Island (It's back in that territory again)
-Ironside
-McCloud
-Hart To Hart
-Barnaby Jones
-Marcus Welby, M.D.
-One Step Beyond

And if it were at all possible to release these titles then combined with the above, I'd be set for life with no need to care about a release schedule again (anything else would be gravy)
-Batman
-Sheena: Queen Of The Jungle (50s; from original prints owned by producer and the lost color pilot)
-The Rogues
-Operation Petticoat
-CPO Sharkey
-Project UFO
-The Lineup
-Burns And Allen
-Jack Benny (uncut episodes of syndicated package)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
smithbrad said:
Okay...after a few searches I see that DreamWorks bought Classic Media in the summer of 2012. However, there is no mention of rights lapsing. I know they purchased it for a variety titles other than just Lassie (e.g., Lone Ranger, Rocky and Bullwinkle), but why pay $155 million if any of the rights would lapse?
Huh, I didn't know DreamWorks bought Classic Media. $155 million is an awful big sum. Perhaps they were banking on The Lone Ranger to make a comeback. If that is the case it is extremely unfortunate for them that the movie bombed so terribly.
At any rate I'm not sure of the specifics of the deal, just the info Provost relayed to me. He seemed optimistic that there will be proper dvd releases of Lassie someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks