What's new

Prediction Thread: Season's first cancel / Season's new success (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm thinking NBC used those Olympics to give what it considered its best and worst new comedy an added and necessary push. It didn't help that Animal Practice cut off part of the actual Olympic broadcast displeasing a lot of people.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Partners is the next one to bite the dust.

Not surprising, but I actually liked it more than 2 Broke Girls (which itself, has gotten stale).

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Walter C said:
Partners is the next one to bite the dust.
Not surprising, but I actually liked it more than 2 Broke Girls (which itself, has gotten stale).
That's to bad. I knew it was inevitable, but was enjoying the show. Good chemistry, witty dialogue, but not enough to keep it alive.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I was absolutely bored with Partners two episodes in. Brandon Routh got nothing to do and I could "call" the two or three scenes he would have every week. (I'm not sure if it was him or the material...but he came off as a terrible actor.) Michael Urie grated on my nerves and the jokes stale for 2012. For me, Partners was just junk. We're been counting down to the time when it gets cancelled.

Done.

The next one on the "death" list is 666 Park Avenue. If it weren't for the BF, I would have already canned that one, too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wasn't surprised by the announcement as Partners has been CBS' weak link in their Monday schedule all season, but I think the show was getting better. This week's episode (the last one that will be broadcast) had some genuine laughs and used all of the cast intelligently for a change. True, there were chemistry problems among the couples due to poor casting, but the show was not a disaster. And, of course, NBC and Fox would be crowing to have a comedy that was drawing the kinds of ratings Partner was drawing. On CBS, however, the numbers were unacceptable.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
666 and Last Resort cancelled.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11/16/last-resort-and-666-park-avenue-canceled-by-abc/158122/

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was already 4 weeks behind on both of those shows, so I guess that cleared off some time for me!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I wish Last Resort had been planned as 13 eps. The core concept really couldn't stretch very far. Frankly, I think I'd invest in a show if they told me "One season, that's it, we tell 1 whole story, all the way through."

I'll tune in. In a way, American Horror Story has done exactly this.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Wow, I'm doing terrible this season. Most of what I enjoy turn out to be duds, but usually some survive. Yet I'm batting 100% failure rate so far this season.
Last Resort was kind of a stretch, but I thought 666 Park Avenue and Partners would make it. Apparently I was one of the few who enjoyed them. As Matt mentioned, Partners was improving. Given a little more time it may have worked, but to late now.
666 Park Avenue, like many new series was something that had to catch on really fast or it wouldn't work. Like Last Resort, it was a continuing story arc, didn't work with stand-alone episodes. If you didn't catch onto it early, it would be pretty tough to get into the story and the history behind the different characters and the "Shining" sort of what's really going on with the building, which now looks like we'll never really know.
At least now it will free up some time for a few old favorites. Rizzoli and Isles, White Collar, Psych and some others starting up again in the next few weeks or months.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Oh well. 666 Park Avenue was a concept which should have been spectacular, but never caught on (with me, anyway). 90 more minutes has been freed up per week for me today...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
mattCR said:
  Frankly, I think I'd invest in a show if they told me "One season, that's it, we tell 1 whole story, all the way through."
I'll tune in.
Yes. That's where I'm at. Give me a Buffy S1, or Veronica Mars, or Heroes. Or a Glee S1. A show that is a brilliant one season story.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those still keeping score, other recent casualties include "The Mob Doctor" and "Emily Owens M.D."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks