1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Predator 5 star collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DannyS, Jun 6, 2002.

1. DannyS

DannyS Well-Known Member

In the UK we now have both Speed and Predator.

I watched THe predator "special edition" last night, and was blown away with the quality and quantity of supplemental material. The transfer wasn't bad but I was annoyed with the pal speed-up of sound and music.

This HAS to be coming out as a 5 star in the US. I will buy it in a second, just for the correct sound.

If is not on the cards as a 5 star, I will be shocked, and will say that the US is being screwed.

Any news?

2. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Danny,

Have you ever viewed the U.S. version of Predator DTS? How does the picture and sound of your Predator SE compare? I have wondered if they are using the same transfer, but just added supplements for the SE.

The R1 DTS version has very good sound and a pretty good picture for its age. However, I don't see it getting much better unless they do an actual restoration.

3. MaxY

MaxY Guest

Oh no, am I now going to be buying a third copy of Predator?

I did manage to resist on Speed and am looking forward to that and True Lies in Five Star EDs.

Max

4. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Well-Known Member

Well, I sure as heck wouldn't buy Predator for a third time. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and say enough is enough, considering I have had it once on VHS and twice on DVD, I just could not justify buying it AGAIN.

5. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

Since I have only bought it once (for $13.50) I will buy it again IF the transfer is better. I would sell my current version on eBay. No amount of extras will sway me to buy the SE though.

6. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Well-Known Member

Funny, I just got Predator DTS in the mail yesterday. The pic was very grainy, but the sound rocked.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    and to think I just ordered the region 1 dts version just a couple of hours ago. [​IMG]

8. Dave H

Dave H Well-Known Member

If I recall, Peter Straddon said a SE wasn't coming to R1 anytime soon (I think that was last year he said?).

Neil, assuming you paid around $14.00 for the R1 DTS release, you won't be dissatisfied. I think, overall, it's a decent disc. The transfer is grainy (seems to be source related) but it does clear up quite a bit as the movie goes on. The DTS track is nice.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Well-Known Member

John Williamson
    I will buy this film as many times as it takes to get the ultimate edition into my collection!

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, i've said this many times in the past, if we don't get that 5 star here i'm going to be pissed! I still don't understand how this region issue works no matter how much I try. Why does one region get something and not another? We need a better system here I think. For one region to get a great SE of 'Predator' while we're stuck with a bare bones, albeit decent A/V transfer, version just isn't fair at all!

10. Beau

Beau Well-Known Member

I'll buy a special edition if they make one in R1. I have one of the DVDs already, but I don't mind buying another one.

11. MaxY

MaxY Guest

The Film is just a grainy film and it has been in every version I have seen so far. There are scenes that are not grainy, so I can only assume the scenes with heavy grain were directors intent.
    The DTS SoundTrack ROCKS though. [​IMG]
    Oh and I still want an Anamorphic True Lies with DTS.
    Max

12. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Well-Known Member

I'm in total agreement. I would love to get the Special Edition of The Fifth Element that's available overseas.

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Well-Known Member

Dark Horizons said that the R4 special edition (identical to the R2 and thus likely the same as the eventual R1) is non-anamorphic!!!!!!!!!! Hol-e-shyte! This is truly bizarre. And although I've never bought this film, and would like to get a great version, this one won't become part of my collection without the anamorphic enhancement.

14. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Well-Known Member

The R2 is definitely anamorphic, and I don't see why the R4 shouldn't be...

15. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Well-Known Member

R2 and R4 are exactly the same. Got my SE copy, but I prefer the 5 star case design [​IMG]

16. Paul_D

Paul_D Well-Known Member

17. Gareth Flynn

Gareth Flynn Well-Known Member

18. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Well-Known Member

I bought the R4 from Australia and it is definitely anamorphic. This is dual encoded R2 & R4 as with most Fox titles.
    See michaeldvd review
    http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...?ReviewID=1420
    which confirms my view its anamorphic. However agree with all your comments and reviews that the picture is not great.

19. Justin Pledger

Deleted

20. Douglas R

Douglas R Well-Known Member

Doug