What's new

3D PREDATOR (1987) 3-D... (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting review because they gave Jumper 3D only 2 stars and that was the last Fox film to be converted, maybe it's third time lucky and they have figured out how to use the software, I'll be interested in more reviews now to see if a consensus is reached.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I read a fairly negative review on both the 2D and 3D quality on that other site.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A few dys so I got a sipping notice from FC. Of course we know now that doesn't mean much.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cameron Yee said:
I read a fairly negative review on both the 2D and 3D quality on that other site.
Even if the 3D depth is good it's still a conversion and still depth only, not really fully utilizing the 3D format, no pop out at all, film grain scrubbed completely away and i happen to think a little bit of film texture is a good thing, this transfer seems based on the ultimate hunter edition of the film, we aren't even getting a new 2D transfer, i'll pass.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
FoxyMulder said:
Even if the 3D depth is good it's still a conversion and still depth only, not really fully utilizing the 3D format, no pop out at all, film grain scrubbed completely away and i happen to think a little bit of film texture is a good thing, this transfer seems based on the ultimate hunter edition of the film, we aren't even getting a new 2D transfer, i'll pass.
As I've reported earlier, the folks behind this BluRay were aware of the previous "Ultimate Hunter Edition" BluRay and how the handling of the transfer was, and I quote, "A mistake". I would hold off your bad video transfer assumptions and see the disc for yourself, because from what I was able to see at Comic Con, things do "pop out" at you.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ted Van Duyn said:
As I've reported earlier, the folks behind this BluRay were aware of the previous "Ultimate Hunter Edition" BluRay and how the handling of the transfer was, and I quote, "A mistake". I would hold off your bad video transfer assumptions and see the disc for yourself, because from what I was able to see at Comic Con, things do "pop out" at you.
You might be right Ted, but i would rather have a transfer in 3D that puts some film grain back in, as they did with Top Gun, film texture is important for movies shot on 35mm film, i'm not keen on super smooth re-masters for 3D.

I read the review over at that site, it says this, i am put off, this is not a release for me, i will let others enjoy it.

The look of the image here is now much more consistent with HD video than film—it's certainly (relatively) bright and colorful, but there's virtually no grain to be seen anywhere in either the 2D or 3D rendering. Even in filtered scenes, where one would expect to see lots of grain, there simply isn't any.

There is admittedly some unexpectedly nice depth added to the jungle sequences, which of course make up the bulk of the film.

But a lot of this film is still relentlessly dark, even though this version has an obviously brighter overall look than the first release. This in and of itself robs some scenes of dimensionality, with only minimal protrusion of foreground objects and similarly lackluster depth penetrating into the image. That said, there are some nicely effective moments in the film, like the first "camo" appearance of the Predator, which comes at the viewer like some fractal hallucination for a moment before the "thermo-imaging" point of view footage takes over.

Overall, this is neither the botch job some have predicted nor the masterpiece that some early previewers insisted was coming our way.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FoxyMulder said:
You might be right Ted, but i would rather have a transfer in 3D that puts some film grain back in, as they did with Top Gun, film texture is important for movies shot on 35mm film, i'm not keen on super smooth re-masters for 3D.

I read the review over at that site, it says this, i am put off, this is not a release for me, i will let others enjoy it.

The look of the image here is now much more consistent with HD video than film—it's certainly (relatively) bright and colorful, but there's virtually no grain to be seen anywhere in either the 2D or 3D rendering. Even in filtered scenes, where one would expect to see lots of grain, there simply isn't any.

There is admittedly some unexpectedly nice depth added to the jungle sequences, which of course make up the bulk of the film.

But a lot of this film is still relentlessly dark, even though this version has an obviously brighter overall look than the first release. This in and of itself robs some scenes of dimensionality, with only minimal protrusion of foreground objects and similarly lackluster depth penetrating into the image. That said, there are some nicely effective moments in the film, like the first "camo" appearance of the Predator, which comes at the viewer like some fractal hallucination for a moment before the "thermo-imaging" point of view footage takes over.

Overall, this is neither the botch job some have predicted nor the masterpiece that some early previewers insisted was coming our way.
Sounds like an ideal candidate for motion smoothing to complete the video look. :biggrin:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Watched this tonight. Great depth for a 3D conversion, but I didn't notice any "pop outs".

No grain, so the scrubber must have been working overtime. Colors looked about right.

Even with all the tampering, Predator 3D still "draws you in". And if a nearly 30 year old film can make you forget about the transfer anomalies, and enjoy what's unfolding on the screen.... Well, I did anyway.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I like this also. I of course kept the Blu edition that retains the grain, but this 3-D edition is fun and has good depth. I do not require "pop-outs" on conversions of movies that were not filmed with 3-D in mind.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, Predator 3D is $12.99 today. Looks like I will make the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks