What's new

Pre/pro or flagship receiver? (1 Viewer)

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Why doesn't Denon or Yamaha make a relatively inexpensive pre-pro and why doesn't Sony update theirs?
Someone started a thread about $400 prepros on this premise a while ago and the only answer I can think of is economy of scale. HT enthusiasts like us are a small minority in the marketplace.

MarcVH

Second Unit
Economy of scale is very valid. Distribution is also a factor -- if Denon or Yamaha did make an inexpensive pre-pro, how many retailers would carry it?

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
The only way that pre-pro/amps would be mass marketed is if there were no all in one receivers at all. Unfortunately that's not the case (although I wish it were).

It always amazed me that even entry level pre-pros cost far more than receivers with equal or better features. Seems like all pre-pros are relatively over priced.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I agree with David and craig. People assume since its a pre and not a receiver that it must be better. Pre-pros are overpriced for starters and Your not wasting money just because you got unused amps in your receiver if you got a better (less expensive) deal to begin with and more features to boot. Plus when you go to resale, its a bit easier to unload a receiver. Flexibility in a pre-pro or a receiver is the same for the most part (having owned both,..imo).

NickSP

Supporting Actor
"Pre-pros are overpriced for starters and Your not wasting money just because you got unused amps in your receiver"

Well said John. I do believe that while the 3K+ prepros might sound better (and this is subjective), some receivers below that price range are as good or better than the Outlaws and the Rotels when used as prepros IMHO.

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I have an Outlaw 950.

It does not have some of the features of a flagship receiver, it is not upgradeable, and it is rather plain looking (I like the simplistic looks).

It sounds incredible, costs 1/3 to 1/4 what a flagship costs, does everything that I want it to be able to do, and comes with a 5 year warranty and incredible customer service.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Thats great Bill, it sounds like a great fit for you, but there are many others to choose from that are just as good of a deal as the outlaw 950.

I had a choice between buying a HK8000 for 800.00 (used but mint and under warranty and an outlaw 950 for aprox. the same price...I decided on the HK 8000 even though Im only using the 8000 as a pre as I already have 10 channels of external amplification... I get logic 7, a heck of a processor and if I needed 5 channels of very decent amplification for the same price.

Joe

Stunt Coordinator
NickSP -

I'm looking for something to use as a pre/pro so in regards to your statement "...some receivers below that price range are as good or better than the Outlaws and the Rotels when used as prepros IMHO" What are the recievers that you are talking about? Thanks.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I am getting a flagship receiver as this will down size my size requirments as well as cable requirnments.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Thanks for everybodies help!
I bit the bullet and got an Anthem AVM 20!
I got a better deal than I would've got on the B&K, plus I've read a couple of negative things on the Ref 50.
Anyway, gotta go play with my new toy! Later...:D

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Leo,
I bit the bullet and got an Anthem AVM 20! I got a better deal than I would've got on the B&K...
Really? Wow, that must have been a really good deal! I hope I am not going to ruin your day, but did you get an AVM-20 with v2.x hardware and software? If not, it will cost you another $200-300 to get the upgrade.

Michael

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Joe, In my search for the receiver/prepro that matches my taste I went thru a lot of units out there. The prepros I tested were the Outlaw 950 and the Rotel 1066. Receivers I tested as prepros were many to name. In the end I settled for the DA4ES (Sony) as it offered me everything I was looking for and more. I got that unit bevause I liked the sound and the ability to customize sound to a great degree.
It has a RS-232 port for future upgrades, etc. that made it an awesome deal. I believe you can get the 4ES from Sammans for $620 delivered and they are authorized. I got mine from a local "Good Guys" for $699. At that price nothing comes close IMHO to the 4ES as a prepro.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Michael, not to worry, I got a v2.0. In silver. It's very sweet!
I hate to sound cliche, but I can actually hear things I never heard before. MechAssault never sounded so good!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Leo,

I hate to sound cliche, but I can actually hear things I never heard before. MechAssault never sounded so good!
Not a cliche really, just seems to be what attracts some people to the AVM-20. Wait a few days and the sound will really open up. I know, it is hard to imagine it getting better, but it almost always does.

Here's hoping you have a lot of enjoyment with your new toy in the coming year.

Michael

ScottMP

Auditioning
Guys great thread. I just joined the forum and am looking to replace my B&K Reference 20 with either a 50/AVM 20 or a top of the line received like the 5803. I orginally purchased the 20 and some Adcom amps with the hopes of only having to upgrade the pre/pro. Problem is, that I find myself drawn to the 5803 because of the remote and value (I could always flip the amps on ebay). I still don't know what I am gonna do...More help!

Mark All

Second Unit
How about this? See if you can find an Anthem dealer who will persuade you to buy his product by accepting your B&K as partial trade in. Keep the Adcom amps; they're fine. Take the $1,000 or more you'd save by getting the AVM-20 instead of the 5803. Buy a Pronto remote from an internet site. By going with the Anthem you'd be ahead on processing, amplifier power, warranty coverage, have an excellent remote, and money left over for something else.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I got a better deal than I would've got on the B&K, plus I've read a couple of negative things on the Ref 50.
Leo,
Congrats on your new Anthem. Email or PM me on the pricing details. Anthem dealers are few and far between.

Leo_P

Second Unit
Let me jump in and defend Anthem's remote since Mark All wants everybody to buy a Pronto.;)
First off let me say I owned a Pronto NEO and that thing SUCKS! Maybe Pronto's higher-end models are better but that NEO left a bitter taste. Plus, I like hard-button remotes.
Anyway, the Anthem's remote is easy to use, easy to get used to, easy to program and it's got this cool rubberized surface. I can't tell you what an improvement it is over the remote that came with the h/k AVR 520.
If you're on the fence about getting an AVM 20... All I can say is, you really do get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks