What's new

Post Pics of your Car setup (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Not that it can be seen in my pics, but I added a Dynamat Xtreme speaker kit to the front doors of my car this weekend. It actually made quite a difference,the mids and highs sound clearer and more seperated and also my system doesn't sound quite as "right heavy" as it used to(even with the balance set at even i always heard the right front speaker more than the left front). I'm sure i'd get even better results if i did the entire door but for $20 I'm really happy with it. I can't believe I never bothered to put this stuff in my old car.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I'll bite-

System Info:

Head Unit : Alpine 7995
Comp Amps: Hifonics Series VIi Vulcan (X2) Bridged 4 ohms mono for each side (L$R).
Sub Amp: Hifonics Series VII Zeus Bridged 8 Ohms mono for the sub.
Component Set: CDT HD62 with upgraded SatNet 560 Xovers and Image Enhancement Kit.
Subwoofer: Elemental Designs E12O.44
Sub Box: Custom DIY 1.6 Cubes sealed.
Wiring: Streetwires

The Ride:

Head Unit

Wiring

Sub Box and Amps

Subwoofer Installed

Unfinished Box:

Subwoofer Fitted:

There you go!

Angelo

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S

Equipment:
Head Unit: Kenwood DPX-MP4030 double-DIN CD, cassette, MP3
CD Changer: Kenwood KDC-C667 6-disc changer
Amp: Alpine MRV-F340 4-channel V12 series
Sub Amp: Alpine MRD-M500 flagship V12 monoblock
Front Speakers: Rockford Fosgate FNQ-3614 6.5" components
Rear Speakers: Alpine SPR-174A 6.5" Type-R coaxials
Sub: Alpine SWR-1241D 12" Type-R sub in sealed enclosure
Capacitor: Stinger SC-201MB 1-farad digital cap
Wiring and Cables: Stinger
The entire cargo area has been refinished in black vinyl and I have since fabricated a carbon fiber trim bezel for my head unit.

Different pics of my system set-up. Click the pic for a larger image.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
Brent: yeah I did. the owner of the car was insistant. I suggested the Alpine 3321 at the time which was nearly identical in features, but he wouldn't have it. I guess the cost was his big factor there.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts to post a URL but I will discuss my car anyway and list what I have in it.

1997 Hyundai Elantra aka The "Coca-Cola" Car.

Components:
1.) RIOCar 20GB MP3 Player.

2.) JVC LX-333 El-Kameleon CD Player.

3.) 2x 12" JBL Subs GT1200.

4.) 1 - 800W Stereo Crunch Amp (Gain set at full) for Subwoofers.

5.) RoadGear 250W Amp (I know, RoadGear sucks but was in my budget) for the BassShakers under the front seats(Gain set at full).

6.) RoadGear 250W Amp for the Front Speakers (Infinity Components 50.5cs)(Gain set at 1/2 even though the speakers can handle full gain).

7.) Kenwood 600W Amp for the Rear Speakers (Infinity 695.3i) (Gain set at 1/2 even though the speakers can handle full gain).

8.) Custom fabricated box for subs and shelving in the trunk for school books and a Coca-Cola logo. The shelving is on a hinge so that I can take it out in the Summer when school is out and have a full trunk. I also have it hinged so that I can still have access to my spare tire.

9.) Custom fabricated rear seat cover with Coca-Cola fabric.

10.) Painted doorknobs and accessories red for accents.

11.) Custom fabricated center console to be able to have both the MP3 Player, JVC Receiver, 8 switches, coin holder and cup holder that holds 20oz. Coca-Cola bottles.

12.) Custom made hubcaps with Coca-Cola center caps that are counterbalanced and on bearings so that they are stationary while I am driving.

13.) Coca-Cola written in different languages along the bottom of the doors.

14.) Coca-Cola floor mats.

15.) Whistler radar detector.

16.) Rope Lighting next to the door jams and under the back seat.

17.) Power Inverter with an outlet in the back seats ashtray (No Smoking in my car).

18.) Backlit LCD voltmeter custom fabricated into the car.

19.) Optima Yellow Top battery because the stock Hyundai one couldn't handle it.

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
actually to be honest, the deep cycle battery probably wasn't your problem. The alternator needs to be upgraded, and nothing else can fix that problem. Capacitors are a joke. They smooth current draw but they don't generate any actual power so if the alternator is weak, the cap does nothing.
Never, ever set gains on an amplifier to "full"
gains are NOT a volume knob or power adjustment. They are strictly meant to balance the output voltage of the head unit to the input levels of the amplifier. They rarely if ever even need to be higher than about half way up.

Crunch, Roadgear, and Kenwood are all, umm, "economy" model amplifiers, to be polite about it. You may want to look at better amplifiers that put out real power, rated in RMS, not MAX. JBL, Kicker, MTX, Avionixx, Cadence. Any of these would be a step above the three amps used now.

If you need to turn the gains up that high, the amps are too weak.

keep in mind that when the gains are set too high, you are clipping the amplifiers, which sends direct current to the speakers. This will fry speakers, as well as damage the amplifier by overdriving it.

see here:
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/2ltlpwr.htm

actually, read that whole site. It may help you out a lot in tweaking your system to sound a lot better.
best of luck!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sean, heard some good things about the Kenwood mono amps ... you heard otherwise??

Wasn't Cadence a really shitty name 10 years ago?? or was that Coustic?:)

Brent

Andrew S-

Stunt Coordinator
I would stay away from kenwood. Havent heard a single good thing about any of their products.

Coustic was crap.

Cadence makes very nice amps. Goes with the likes of DEI products.

The Optima Battery fix works for my application, albeit not as good as a higher current alternator. The reason that it works is during highway driving or when the RPM is above 3000, the alternator is putting out the full 90AMPs. When the vehicle is idling or at a stop, then the alternator puts out significantly less (approximately 1/3). So, since the Optima has a much larger reserver time, it is able to handle the load better than the stock when the alternator is not putting out enough amperage.

The reason why the gain on the Shitty Roadgear amps is set as full is because the cable running to it is long and is not shielded and has a large loss. The 4V Subwoofer preout uses a y-cable between the subwoofer amplifier and the bassshaker amplifier therefore it is at best 1/2 the power (aka 2V). Thus, we had to turn the gain up on the basshaker amp to full to achieve the same level as 4V but only had to turn it up 2/3s on the subwoofer amp to achieve the same level as before. We haven't heard any topping out at the subwoofer or basshaker level. Otherwise we would have turned it down because we understand that it is not working in the correct parameters.

If I had the money, I would have purchased much better amplifiers, but these were cheap and work well for what I need. Compared to stock, it is infinitely better!!! And still everyone thinks I have spent too much on the sound system.

JimmyJK

Agent
cardomain.com/id/jimmy79khan

add w w w . before that

new member wont let me post a link :frowning:

Michal Hyrlik

Auditioning
You know I've been reading these forums for a while now and now that I've decided to reply to one it won't let me stick in any pictures or images until I have 15 posts. No big deal, but somewhat annoying.

A breakdown of my system is in my SIG along with hopefully a link to my sounddomain pic page.

Michal

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon

Here are 2 pics of my baby... You can see the Sony XPLOD head unit, as well as the custom Delphi Install....

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'll have to post some pics when I do a permanent install of the antenna, but I recently installed an XM Radio Roady and connected it to the Aux input jack in the rear of my JVC headunit. I installed a din pocket with a door and I affixed the Roady to that. I can take it out of the car and use it at home too. Once I get the free home kit by mail I'm going to do a clean and permanent install of the antenna. Right now, I just throw it on the roof and run the cord through the window since I transport the antenna between car and home.
XM is very cool but I'm pretty disappointed with the sound quality. Sound like a 96kps MP3 or worse on some stations. Very tinny metallic highs. Still, even with that, the music selection is so great that it pretty much off sets the sound quality issue.

Steve,
Do you find the same issue with XM?Also, nice 350z. Shame it's an automatic though ;)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Sometimes yes, it does sound tinny... Though after putting in upgraded Tweeters, and replacing all the crap Bose speakers in the doors, it's sounds much better....

Automatic you say??? LOL.... Makes the car much slower..... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks