What's new

Possible release dates for Batman Begins and The Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Roger,

Do you happen to know if a movie involving a big gorilla is in the works?

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
Was set for November but I heard a couple of weeks ago that it will get pushed up to August.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Can you say if this is a company/studio that has already announced support for HD DVD but just hasn't officially announced releases yet, or is this "new support"?

I'd also be interested to know if you heard anything about The Matrix being in the pipeline?

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
No specifics yet on The Matrix. Based on Warner's plans for the summer and the fact that The Matrix was prominently mentioned in pre-launch lists, I'd expect The Matrix before the end of July. Just opinion at this point.

The unnamed company has not yet announced support for HD DVD. All the more ironic that their first masters for HD DVD were completed before their first Blu-ray masters.

Lots going on behind the scenes.

Juan C

Second Unit

Eventually, only one third of it was true.

And still no Batman Begins or Harry Potter.

Mods, can you edit this thread title to "Batman Begins and The Goblet of Fire still haven't release dates". Thanks.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

So is this a "major studio" then? I know you can't say who, but the possibilities for major studio would be Disney, Fox, or Sony (I know it's not Sony).

One of those?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Actually Mods, I'd prefer the title to stay as is. It's fine thanks.

As I don't see how "possible release dates for..." is now desperately in need of change. It was/is a reasonable title for this topic and the conversation that has followed. Not a big fan of revisionist history myself.

But hey, you can throw a question mark at the end of it if it'll make Grubert feel better. ;)

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator

Tricky boy...

They will announce when they are ready, or at whatever time fulfulls any agreement they made with Sony to wait until BD launched before releasing on HD DVD.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it is either Fox or Disney and not a smaller studio like New Line (of course owned by WB...not that New Line would be bad). I just think adding Fox or Disney would really help this format, which so far has been good to me. From what I have read it seems more likely to be Disney than Fox, but hopefully we will know soon enough. It is really good to hear that Paramount not only does not have cold feet, but is taking HD DVD seriously by making sure they do it right. All around good news in this thread.

Real Name
John S. Troutman
I hope to God it's Disney - I own more of their releases than that of any other studio on SD, and if they signed on to HD-DVD, I wouldn't feel pressured to buy a Blu-Ray player for a very VERY long time.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Honestly, either Disney or Fox would be enough for me to seriously consider purchasing a player. I've never been that big of a technical junkie, I only want the best picture and sound, and it appears either format delivers that in spades. However, my reticence to this point has always been about studio support. Blu-ray almost has it unanimously, while HD-DVD is missing a few very important ones. But one more major studio like Fox or Disney would be a much needed boost in my confidence for HD-DVD since it is the more financially feasible of the two.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
My thinking has been very similar to yours Chad. I feared going for HD DVD because of a lack of studio support. I ended up buying a player because I had been waiting way too long for pre-recorded material and I had the money. The worst thing that can happen is HD DVD fails and I have a few dozens titles in HD and I can use the player for its upconverting feature. Going this route allows me to bypass first gen blu ray players and get a sec gen that can support high rez audio (beyond PCM 5.1)

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I hope it's Fox. I thought New Line was already showing support for both formats, but I could be wrong. I found a site that shows some of the titles that they are thinking about releasing. See Final Destination, Lord of the Rings, The Player, Rush Hour and so on. However I don't know how relaible this site is.

http://www.gamestay.com/dvdlist/index-hddvd.html

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
New Line has already announced support for HD-DVD as well as BluRay, the Matrix films are New Line and New Line is a division of WB. That leaves either Fox or Disney, either one of which would be huge!

BTW, who's in charge of Dreamworks catalog--I'd like to see Gladiator, SPR, etc. on HD-DVD.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The insert inside the Constantine case says that Goblet of Fire and Batman Begins is coming soon

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As somebody already stated, the Matrix films are Warners. I think Paramount is in charge of Dreamworks catalogue now.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks