What's new

Possible New Superbits. (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I got an email yesterday from the Canadian online store, www.cnl.com, and this is what they said:

"From our friends at CTHE, Columbia will release another 10 Superbit
DVD between July and October this year. Some of the titles are
SpiderMan, Lawrence of Arabia, Starship Troopers, The One (Jet Li)
Riverdance, etc."

I love my 2-disc LoA and will probably double-dip, but I thought Starship Troopers SE is already pretty good. I'm both happy and mad about Spiderman because they could have done it right the first time and released as a Superbit Deluxe. :angry: As for Riverdance, I hope it's the one with Michael Flatley. Even though I dislike him, the editing on the New Show is unbearable.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I will double-dip on Lawrence if it's done right. Riverdance doesn't deserve a Superbit. Overrated Irish tapdancing is bad enough when it's clogging up PBS :)

greg_t

Screenwriter
It was pretty much assured right from the beginning that Spidey would get a superbit down the road. That being said, I would defintely pick up Spidey and Lawrence of Arabia if just for the DTS alone.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
As soon as I hear Spider-Man officially announced, my original version goes up on E-Bay.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I will double-dip on Lawrence of Arabia IF Robert Harris is involved and gives his complete blessing to the final product.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Jon,

My sentiments exactly! If this HD transfer is sourced from the brand new 70mm restoration with correct color timing approved by Robert Harris and the newly remixed soundtrack in DTS (that was playing in some 70mm equipped theaters not too long ago), and no edge enhancement then I'll buy! It should be split to two discs as well for better quality.

Plus, it needs the newly found 65mm trailer.

Dan

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I'm not going double dip on StarShip Troopers becuz I have the SE and it awesome so there no need to...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm both happy and mad about Spiderman because they could have done it right the first time and released as a Superbit Deluxe
That is why they do it this way because they assume most people will buy again. Why sell it to us once when they can do it more than once.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Lawrence of Arabia would be the first and likely only Superbit I would buy. Please...lets hope Columbia worked with Robert Harris this time around. At least I think he was involved in the remastering of the soundtrack for DTS. (for the 2002 70mm re-release)

The 2-disc edition out already has the film spread across three layers with about 6 tracks of audio. Superbit could mean four layers of nothing but the video, DD 5.1, and DTS 5.1. The transfer, besides the obvious color timing problems, is excellent save for some ringing. If a Superbit DVD could take away that edge enhancing and perhaps the colorist made some modifications...

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
What would be even cooler for Lawrence would be if they made it a Supebit Deluxe...and made it 3 discs...2 for the movie and the other for the extras from the LE...but have some neat packaging like the LE...that would be a dream!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
DTS is not a necessity on Lawrence as it was not a DTS release. The format was used for a number of prints in the recent re-issue as its use is helpful in bringing down the enormous cost of new 70mm prints.

If a new DVD of Lawrence were to appear there is a veritable cornucopia of extras which could be included.

There are also four distinct versions (cuts) of the film, at least two and possibly three of which, could be brought together via seamless branching.

RAH

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Supposedly, Cliffhanger is suppose to be another Superbit that I've heard of, and don't forget the possible Black Hawk Down release.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I know many people didn't like this film, but I think Godzilla (1998) would make a nice SuperBit release.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
This is an outrage! How dare they release a superbit of "Starship Troopers" without first telling us about it, when they released the Special Edition!

There is no way in hell I'm going to buy it! I would have 3 copies. I have the original, the special edition, and the superbit, would make the 3rd version!

If they had been honest with us, from the get-go, I would have just waited for the Superbit, and not bothered with the other versions.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Besides LOA, the titles I would most like to see in superbit are WOLF, CLIFFHANGER and LEON.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

^ i know...my feelings exactly. I still remember picking up Starship Troopers (which came out on the SAME day as the third wave Superbits ie. Hollow Man) thinking that it's a safe purchase since they would have announced it as a Superbit if they had planned to make it a Superbit. I guess I underestimated Sony's greed.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I take it by Robert Harris' comments that he must not be involved in this new release, which is at the very least a missed opportunity. I will most likely buy this relesae of LOA because it is one of my favourite films. However, lets hope down the road a new SE is released that at least gives this film the opportunity to shine on DVD to the level of a Lord of the Rings style Edition. As for the other superbit releases, blahhhhh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks