What's new

Possible new release for THE GAME ? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
At the BBFC, extras have been passed for a film called THE GAME.

00:02:17:11 THE GAME
00:01:31:08 THE GAME
00:00:57:03 (THE GAME TRAILER - TEST FOOTAGE)
00:29:04:16 (THE GAME - BEHIND THE SCENES)
00:09:27:07 (THE GAME - ON LOCATION)
00:01:09:06 (THE GAME ALTERNATIVE ENDING)

It says it's a Universal Release, but David Fincher's film was released by Polygram in the UK. Do Universal own Polygram ? If this isn't Fincher's film, what is it ?
Nothing I can find on imdb.com looks any more likely.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
That's Fincher's Game; those are (the majority of) the Criterion ld extras.

I know this as I paid about $120 for a new/sealed copy about 6 months ago. Oh well - at least I have a nice 'director approved' signature sticker that the dvd release wont have...

I'm guessing the dvd wont get the ld commentary and will have a new one recorded.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
The BBFC also list an audio commentary in the same submission for rating, so it looks like at least in the UK they have licensed the Criterion one unless a new one has been recorded.

Edit :
To add a bit more on UK ownership.
This is definitely a Universal UK title. I have the original UK R2 DVD from Polygram which was dual sided (2.35 anamorphic on one and 1.33 on other). Then when Universal UK got rights on sale of Polygram they reissued as single sided 2.35 anamorphic but disk was identical.
In UK some Polygram titles went to Universal UK like The Game, Trainspotting, Lock Stock and Jude but remainder went to MGM (now Sony) like Usual Suspects, Four Weddings and a Funeral.
Universal UK have slowly be rereleasing their titles as SE, Trainspotting was over a year ago, Lock Stock (last month) and now The Game.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
About a year ago there was a report that a bunch of Universal titles were getting the SE treatment. "The Game" was among them, and since some of the others were "The Big Lebowski", "The Deer Hunter" and "To Kill A Mockingbird" I knew the report was true and that it was only a matter of time before the SE of "The Game" materialized. Universal undoubtedly owns the rights to "The Game" here in the US. Polygram released the non-anamorphic and featureless DVD and when Universal got the rights they quietly reissued it with the Universal logo replacing the Polygram one (they did the same thing with the original "Lebowski") disc. The great thing about this is the fact that Universal has a relationship with Criterion. I've never known Criterion to use outside DVD producers like David Prior (though I imagine it would be a high-profile DVD producer like Prior if they ever decided to) but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if Criterion was giving Universal access to the laserdisc supplements for a non-Criterion disc. Regardless of who releases it, a Prior-produced disc of Fincher's last movie without an SE with supplements from Criterion is something to get very excited about. Even if the Fincher project that Prior was speaking of turns out to be the upcoming "Zodiac" and/or "Benjamin Button" DVD's, the Criterion/Universal relationship is promising enough.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I really really hope this comes over to R1, even if most of the extras are ported direct from the LD boxset. This film really deserves the kind of treatment Fincher's other films have gotten on dvd.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

I most certainly agree with this sentiment. In fact, I currently own SE7EN: New Line Platinum Series and FIGHT CLUB: Special Edition 2-Disc in my collection. I've finally decided upon purchasing ALIEN³: Collector's Edition, due to renting from Netflix the Quadrilogy disc, and watching the Assembly/Special Edition cut of the film which I felt was far better than the Theatrical. Guess all I'd need to do now is rent Panic Room and watch that.;)
Oh, this is most certainly a must buy from me.:D

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
This news makes me happier than words can describe :D

Universal - please please please include the original Criterion commentary. Im still slightly annoyed with New line for not including the original Se7en criterion commentary on the SE DVD.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last night for the first time since I’ve had my 51” HDTV (3 years). I know it’s non-anamorphic, but whoa, it looks really bad. I’m really looking forward to this new release. I also forgot how quickly this film grabs you and takes hold. I only meant to watch a few minutes and got sucked in for 1 hour and 15! Funny enough, I watched it on October 11th, which is Nicholas Van Orton’s birthday in the film (remember the scene with Sean Penn in the restaurant?)!!!

jon_farthing

Agent
Just up on the BBFC website:

Widescreen, DVD audio commentary featuring director David Fincher, actor Michael Douglas and members of the crew

Not sure how this corresponds with the criterion commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks