What's new

Possible Firefly movie.... (1 Viewer)

JohnAP

Second Unit
If Whedon pulled this off, I'd be there opening night. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly was probably both too strange a concept and just too plain good to ever be a mainstream hit, but it also probably would have done better on a different night. Pretty much every show Fox has put on Friday nights the last couple years has got canceled. It's worth noting that many episodes were shown out of order and not in their intended widescreen format as well as the fact that it was technically Whedon's highest rated show this season. That said, I have no illusions that this show would have been a big success if treated better by its network. I just hope that people get to discover it now that its on dvd and that that will hopefully give support to the idea of a feature film.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
John, pretty much? Millennium, which ended in 1999, is the last show to go more than one season on Fox Friday.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
My question is how do you make a movie out of an unsucessful TV show and have enough people see it to be successful???

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Let's ask those guys that made those Star Trek movies. And then those other guys who made those Naked Gun movies.
Star Trek had the advantage of having 3 seasons on TV to build an audience. The Naked Gun films had the advantage of Zucker/Abrams/Zucker, who had a rep for movies.

I'm not saying it won't work, but the odds are long. I still don't see a "Babylon 5" movie, and that ran for five seasons.

Jason

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I still don't see a "Babylon 5" movie, and that ran for five seasons.
Yeah, but JMS's career is pretty much limited to television. Whedon started out life as a screenwriter, with some of the great hits of the '90s under his belt. It would stand to reason that he'd have more connections.
And I doubt Whedon would waste his time hammering out a screenplay unless he had someone interested in financing it. Doesn't mean it will happen, mind you, but it does mean that the possibility is strong.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
While I'll admit some of his later work hasn't exactly set the box office on fire, just being involved with those projects (by which I mean Speed and Toy Story) has to give you some sort of bargaining power, I'd think. Regardless, we'll see eventually.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
People also forget Usual Suspects. Joss did the major overhaul that included much of what made the film successful, but got rewritten out.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And yet, JMS kept shoveling disappointments like the TV-movies and "Crusade" out afterward...
I liked "In The Beginning" and "A Call To Arms". As for "Crusade", 1) it fit the pattern of B5 in that it started out slow (I expect that if it survived, it would have gotten much better) and 2) he had TNT mucking with things.

Jason

JohnAP

Second Unit
hmmm....how do you make a successful movie out of an unsuccessful tv show?

Personally, I have have no idea. But then again, how do you make a successful tv series out of a movie that bombed as big a Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks