1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Blu Ray hd via component

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Greg T, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Greg T

Greg T Well-Known Member

If the Japanese Blu Ray players are going to be the same region as the U.S. this time around, and the Japanese players will not use ICT in there players, couldn't you just import a Japanese Blu Ray player if you have no hdcp/ hdmi, and use component?

Would this be legal?
    I already have a 720p pj that accepts a 1080p input, and will upgrade to 1080p when street prices hit 5-6k, but was thinking that others could possibly go this route.

2. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Well-Known Member

Since there is no law making ICT (or respect for ICT) mandatory in the United States, importing such a device should be legal as long as it didn't violate any other trade restrictions.

The DMCA does make it illegal to sell or import devices which defeat a "content protection" mechanism, so there is some small chance that this could be considered illegal; however, I don't think Hollywood wants to see the "content protection" aspects of ICT debated in a court of law, because I think they know they would lose.

3. FrancisP

FrancisP Well-Known Member

You can apparently buy and sell region-free dvd players. The american version of Amazon.com sells them. Hardly think they could do it if it were illegal. I don't see where buying a same region HD player would be different.

4. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Well-Known Member

HD-DVD has dropped region registration. BD, at this time, has not. Will just have to wait & see, like everything else in these fake fact's HD days.