What's new

Poseidon Adventure remake? (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

LOL! That is now my favorite short review of the week - edging out the first line of The Washington Post's review of Disney's new Broadway musical based on their animated Tarzan: "You Tarzan. Me looking at my watch."

Regards,

Joe

RyanAn

Screenwriter
You know it's a good movie when it's under an hour and a half. A disaster film that's shorter than Hoot and the Wild! It's half the length and 1/5 as good as the original. Good CG, but it left me thinking that this was like a cursed ship movie in a sense.

A wave coming out of nowhere, hair getting snagged, etc.

What was with Dreyfuss's character? Man...

Ryan

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Sorry to read these reviews, with modern film-making and special effects, this could have been one great movie, oh well, still going to see it at the Imax this coming weekend.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Isaw the poseidon movie.. it was terrible.. the lack of characterzation for the characters made it hard to care for anyone.. I was not a fan of the george clooney perfect storm.. that was a much better movie.

I liked day after tomorrow much better.

Jacob

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

They did. It came out Tuesday, September 11th, 2001 :frowning:

I think the public has had their fill of seeing burning high rises in reality. This is why you will probably never see an actual remake of "The Towering Inferno". As a former New Yorker (now living in Southern California) it was in the back of my mind when viewing the new SE that came out last week. It always will be.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of 9/11 and Towering Inferno. I remember seeing TI a few months after 9/11. Their was one line by Steve McQueen at the end of the movie that just resonated so well in comparing in to 9/11. I just can't remember it. I guess I have to watch it again tonight. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Although in fairness to the builders of the WTC most of the fatalities (especially among the firefighters) were due to the unexpected collapse of the building caused weakening of the steel under the stress of jet-fuel-induced temperatures that nobody ever anticipated - not directly due to the fire, to inadequate evacuation plans or to ordinary oversights or design flaws. Subject any structure to a collision with a jumbo jet, ensuing explosion and then flood the better part of an entire floor with hot-burning jet fuel and it is pretty much doomed no matter how well it was designed to cope with an electrical fire or somebody putting a cigarette out in a garbage can.

Regards,

Joe

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Never" is a long time. Remember how right after 9/11 we were told audiences would only want to see light comedies? Big action flicks with lots of explosions and whatnot came back awfully quickly, didn't they?

And I don't think that most people would directly connect a movie about a burning building to 9/11. I admit the scenes in Inferno that showed folks falling to their death took on a different tone in today's world, but I feel a modern Inferno would work just fine.

After all, if it was that sensitive a subject, they'd not have put out this SE - they'd have done a True Lies and kept it off the shelves...

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Ok ... I'm taking a huge risk, but here goes:
I liked it.
No, it wasn't intelligence-on-a-stick, but did ANYone really expect a movie about a capsized cruise ship to spend a laaaarge amount of time getting to know all the dirt on all the escapees?! ;) And yes, I saw the original way back when it was a first-run flick. And, yes again, there was a LOT more character development in that one. And I liked that one, too. Sure, you could start picking out who in "Poseidon" was supposed to be what character from "Adventure".
Hey, I couldn't get my wife to go with me to see M:i:III, but she was really happy after seeing this. So ... I'm happy, too!
Oh yeah, pass the popcorn!
(pun intended) :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I loved it! A friend and I saw it today and I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed this, the capsizing scene is an absolute showstopper that's frighteningly realistic!

As the ship turns, we see people, pieces of the ship and other debris falling and sliding off the decks and don't get me started on what is happening inside the ship. :eek: The characters are likable and well performed, the direction is solid and tight (wouldn't expect anything less from Wolfgang Peterson) and the visuals are breathtaking, they've really come a long way in creating digital water and that advancment is key to the films most terrifying images.

For it's short running time (for a big budget disaster flick anyway), it utilizes every moment well and doesn't wear out it's welcome because every scene serves a purpose IMO. The sets and carnage that we see inside the ship after the ship capsizes is the best that you could ask for in a film like this, the film also features some great set pieces and skin-of-your-teeth situations that make it all fun.

The character, besides "Lucky" Larry, that I didn't care for that much was Emmy Rossum' character, she does something so nasty and uncalled for in this film that she instantly became not so likable. The scene, for those who have seen the film, is when she purposfully called out her fathers hand during a poker game simply because he asked her to button up her dress, thus costing him something like 40k.

All in all a very solid remake, don't allow your love of the original to stop you from checking this out, don't pre-judge it because you might be surprised, it's just 100 minutes of disaster flick fun. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thoroughly enjoyed Poseidon from beginning to end.:emoji_thumbsup:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Cool, Tino, i'm glad you liked it. :emoji_thumbsup:

The key, I suspect, to really enjoying this remake is to remember that even though the basic plot structure is the same as the original...rogue wave capsizes ship and some survivors fight to escape... they encounter different situations than the original and this film is a lot more intense, at least I think so anyway. Don't compare it to the original because these are two different interperatations on the same story, that's all.

The scene in the elevator shaft with that guy dangling from Richard Dreyfuss' leg and had to be shaken off to his death was brutal!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

In the pre-title sequence, there's only one thing real, the actor doing the jogging, and even then, they had to do a digital substitute for parts of the sequence. ILM did a great job.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not trying to start an argument but I thought the shots of the boat flipping over were terrible. The stuff that was a combo of live action and CG was top notch but some of the all CG shots, it was like I was suddenly watching another movie. In all fairness, I'm talking about a few bad shots compared to many great ones but those bad ones were really terrible.

I can't believe that ILM worked on it, I just assumed it was some little FX company's work.

EDIT: Reworded to clarify my point.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What i'm curious about is how the capsizing scene was accomplished, I know that in Titanic they used a large model of the ship and combined it with CG water, people and other elements, but with this one i'm not so sure, was the entire shot(s) of the exterior flipping over all CG or a large model combined with CG?

Any way you slice it, some great shit that will be replayed many times on DVD. :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
To my eyes, it looked all digital. Since they had such a detailed digital model of the ship, I'd guess that it was all digital and no physical models were used. I'm sure the commentary track will tell you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks