What's new

Portrait of Jennie (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Just thought I'd make a mention of this film in case anyone might know it. It's not on DVD.

I saw it last night on PBS right after Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca. This was a charming little fantasy film from 1948 starring Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton and produced by the Selznick Studio where Cotton is a struggling artist and Jones is a young girl who is a source of inspiration for his art with an ultimate portrait of Jennie.

This film had a great quality about it and it stayed with me long after. The fantasy element was handled so well. I won't give spoilers in case anyone's interested in seeing it. As described in the Leonard Maltin movie and video guide, this black and white film ended in a stunning Techicolor sequence that almost shocks and sent shivers through me. They just don't make movies like this anymore!

Nelson

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Actually it is on DVD - I've got a copy. :) It's an Anchor Bay release though I'm not sure if it's still in print or not.

I do agree that it's a good movie. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks guys. I thought this was an obscure little film that was not known by too many.

Nelson

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
This is the most recent thread I could find on this..I had Portrait of Jennie on my shelf for a long time and for some reason never got around to watching it until last night.

I just have to say what a delightful film..films like this are why I enjoy re-discovering the classics so much. The interesting use of color and the scenes that look like a painters canvas, really interesting. What a gem. I love finding films that at the end have me just stare at the screen and think for a while even after the movie has stopped. Very few these days have me do that...thank goodness I have so many classics to still watch and more I'm sure that will be released in the future. Can anyone recommend anything else like this, fantasy in nature from the 30's through 50's?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If you've never seen THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, I'd suggest that one to you as it's a wonderful fantasy romance in a similar vein to JENNIE.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Peter, I actually have that one and agree it has that same feel. Great flick...Gene Tierney doesn't hurt either..:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks