What's new

Portable Power Packs (1 Viewer)

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Does anyone have any experience with Portable Power Packs. Here is an example of what I'm talking about-->

I am always leaving a dome light or something on and running my car battery down. In fact, at my house, I am know as The Battery Killer. It also looks like a good portable AC power supply. I'm just skeptical on it's practicality i.e. how often does it need recharging, etc. If anyone owns something similar, I'd appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

Jeff

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have one, and it works as advertised. If your car battery is completely dead it may not have enough power to start the car unless you get a larger one. I charge mine about once every 2-3 months; but I rarely use it during that period. If I was actually using it to start cars it would require more frequent charging.

I haven't used it to run many appliances with the exception of a light a couple of times when the house power went out. (It would have been three times, but I had to learn that your electric garage door opener doesn't work when the power goes out ... doh!)

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
Yep I have one (minus the inverter) and it works great. My wife keeps it in the van because the kids frequently leave the lights on and run the battery down. Its very easy to use and she has started the car more than once with it. Mine has a compressor and a very bright 3 LED light built-in and I paid approx $50 for it at Sams Club.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks a lot for the responses. I have another question. How long is a charge good for? If it sets in the back of my Yukon for 6 months, will it still jump start a weak battery, or do you have to recharge it after a period of inactivity?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I only have the one battery to draw from, but in my case it seems very temperature dependant. I keep it in the garage and during the summer months it keeps the charge about 5-7 weeks. Winter time it seems to last closer to 4 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks