What's new

Portable DVD Players (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Andrew
Before I get on to my problem, I'm wondering what not just consumers feel about these things, but also what manufacturers feel about them.

Are they built to last, or do you consider them disposable? Do the costs justify that definition for you etc.

Maybe its just my luck of the draw, but out of 3 players I've owned in a little over that many years, only one works now. Of the three (one's a Panasonic, second was a Sony, the third an Audiovox), I liked my Pansonic more and was the longest lasting so far.

I looked into where I could send my Panasonic to get it fixed but my only area of concern is whether its 1. Worth it (given how cheap players are getting), and 2. If they'll even find the problem/troubleshoot it properly.

So I guess another question would be: Have you ever had to ship something out to be fixed and sent back and what was your experience?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not experienced any reliability issues with the two portable players I've owned. My first was a Pioneer with a 7-inch screen. I sold it when I upgraded to a Toshiba with a 9-inch screen of higher video quality, and have owned this model for several years.

Real Name
Andrew
I work a lot at my computer, so the portables come in handy definitely. I debated whether to go with another Pansonic or not because that player did rock when it worked, but at the time I thought it better to change up brands thinking I'd have better luck. However when that player died, I decided I wouldn't spend more than $150 if I could help it so maybe that decision hampered my options some.

Although another frustration stemming from just before my first purchase of a portable was that I couldn't locate a decent resource to help me make a smart choice, essentially I wound up leaning on a good electronics brand name hoping that equated to a decent level of quality.

I don't know what my next step will be once my cheap Audiovox dies (it gets me through so I can't complain about it that much), but those small flat screen combo players look interesting. Down side on those, still a little too pricey, plus if one component in a combo device dies you could be left hanging.

Ar3d

Auditioning
Real Name
Ared
hey sonny has a new feature for that kind of product which i think has a good innovated featured that you would love it..

DaveMcS

Second Unit
I've been using a Toshiba SD-P2000 (refurbed BTW) for 4+ years..thats four years of at least 1 1/2 hours a day each Monday through Friday on my train ride to/from work. I've rebuilt the extended life Lithium ion battery pack once for $129.00 other than that nary a problem.

I'm a beleiver that in this case you will get what you pay for. If you buy a no-name store brand player (Durabrand, Venturer, Insignia) you will regret it. Buy a mid to high end portable and you will get a long life out of your portable player

Real Name
Andrew
This is another thing I want to look into, on whether before I buy a fourth when that day comes, whether I should try to get my Panasonic one refurbished - considering the money I put into not just the player, but the accessories I got for it. For all I know, its probably an easily fixable solution, but don't know enough about the player to troubleshoot it myself.

edit: Its a Panasonic DVD-LS50

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks