1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Popping sound from subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kolofai, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Kolofai

Kolofai New Member

All of a sudden my power subwoofer has a popping sound every 3 sec "POP pop, POP pop...." I switched it off and it will pop once then silent. Power back on, the popping sound will come back after 5 mins, Any idea ? I disconnected all cables to the subwoofer but the sound is still there[​IMG]

2. troy evans

troy evans Well-Known Member

This happened to me the other night. I was hearing a strange popping sound. Then, I took the popcorn out of the microwave and ate it. [​IMG] Just kidding. Do you have any chords or cables bundled up or overlapping each other? You could be getting a surge as well. Do you have the subwoofer plugged into a wall outlet or a power conditioner? Also make sure your connections haven't loosened.

3. John Dirk

John Dirk Well-Known Member

If it's doing this without even being connected to an audio source, then it must be a problem with the subs amplifier.

John

4. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Well-Known Member

I agree. Your internal amp is most likely toast.

5. chuckg

chuckg Well-Known Member

what sub do you have?

My guess is that it has one of those evil auto-on features, and that the sub is turning itself on and off. This is most annoying. One fix is to replace the sub amp. another fix is to replace the whole sub. Or, you could pretend there is a rap concert next door. (just kidding)

6. Kolofai

Kolofai New Member

I have a Mirage PS series sub which I brought about 10 years ago. If the sub amp is toasted I think its not worth to get a repair rather than get another one. I did plugged the sub to the wall outlet to see if power supply is the problem but it made no different. It just keep POP pop on its own with no wire connected to it.

7. pink

pink Well-Known Member

just buy a new plate amp, their not expensive for around $200.00 you can pick up 600 watt amp. sub amps are very cheap there is nothing to them..check madisound or partsexpress, you can go on e-bay and just put in plate amps..