What's new

Popeye, Vol 3 30 SEP 2008 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
It's pretty much a given that Warner will either give the problematic shorts either individual disclaimers independent of the typical "products of their time" card, or there'll be a special From the Vault section, also with an introduction.

Thing is, would it be text, or who would they get? Is Leonard Maltin's contract with Disney exclusive? Would Whoopi Goldberg be appropriate? will they get a WWII historian of some sort?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
These sets are clearly marketed towards adult collectors. I don't think anything is needed beyond the introductory disclaimers which have graced past volumes. There will already be supplementary features contextualizing the wartime years. These shorts, despite their notoriety, are no more controversial than the racial gags depicted in dozens of other Fleischer shorts which have seen release. The fact is that this is a hotter topic on message boards than it is reflected in real life. I am sure the cartoons will be accessed from the main menu and not shuffled off into some "vault" section.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
This is my sense entirely - at most we can probably expect a blurb on the back of the package (ala the Droopy set) warning parents that this set is for adult collectors and not (ironically) children.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nice to see this one coming out! The last Loony Tunes set had all sorts of UN-PC material on it, including clips from "coal Black", I'm not surprised this ones coming out uncensored.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Does anyone have the official word on what the status of the Popeye series is? Is it on hiatus due to the economy (understandable) or are the releases dead due to poor sales? Ditto to Looney Tunes...the initial story was that the Golden Collection format was being replaced by something else but there has yet to be confirmation what that "something else" was.

I didn't hear it but supposedly Jerry Beck was on Stu's internet show earlier this month and indicated these product lines were ending. Anything read off the internet is suspect so I thought the knowledgable HTF membership would have more accurate information.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would like to hear some word on Popeye also. I was just thinking about the series last week.

Thanks.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
A bit more of what Steve is referring to can be found in this thread.

I truly hope they continue at least with Popeye. I was under the impression that sales had been quite good.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Cash dollars for a Popeye volume 4 and a Popeye volume 5 are burning a hole in my pocket.
These are wonderful collections and I hope the series will continue.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks