What's new

Pop-Up Stopper, but there's one pop-up it cannot stop (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I've been satisfied with the free version of Pop-Up Stopper for some time now, but lately, there is a persistant pop-up that has been sneaking through (as I type this, there are five of them - all the same - on the task bar). Often, it won't even allow me to close them.

I also run Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Ad-Aware.

I've tried checking for updates on the Pop-Up Stopper, but it does not connect properly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
first of all what popup is it? second what web browser are you using? if your using IE switch to mozilla and your popups will never come around ever. also what OS are you using? if you are using WinXP make sure that the messenger service is disabled.Also be sure you have SP2 installed and you should be good to go as far as popups if you must use IE. I also suggest you run Hijack this and post your list here so I can check it out ;)

Brian_J

Second Unit
Running Ad Aware took care of similar problems for me. You probably have something like "Moe Money Maker" or similar spy software hooked in right now.

Brian

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Mike,

Thank you so very much for the Mozilla tip. I am now running it, and have tried to get rid of every single Explorer function on my CPU, including Outlook.. Mozzilla seems to be working like a champ thus far... HOw did I never try this??

My computer was also bogged down the SPYware I just couldn't get rid of... I had that nasty begin2search.com bar, and could not get rid of it!!!

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
hehe good to hear I turned another person to the dark side ;)
Mozilla is just awesome and with the extensions and what not you can download for it, it has a ton of flexibility.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response, Mike.

The pop-up is www.popuppers.com...

Running Windows XP.

I believe messenger is disabled (how do I verify?)

Also, I've read in several places to steer clear of SP2 for now.

Thanks,

Jon (considering Mozilla)

SethH

Senior HTF Member

This is a myth for the most part. There are some problems with a few programs, but they are pretty well documented at this point. The two problems you're most likely to have: 1) the new "Security Center" won't recognize Norton Anti-virus (if that's the AV program you use), 2) if you use Norton SystemWorks it will not function properly after installing SP2. If the first problem affects you, you can simply tell the Security Center that you'll monitor your AV and it will stop bothering you about it. If the second problem affects you, then you should wait.

I've installed SP2 on 6 computers and have had no problems except for the Norton SystemWorks.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
same.. sp2 on 5 pc's - no problems.. plus running firefox.. works great - tabbed browsing kicks ass!

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
actually SP2 is fine there is only a very small amount of programs that dont work with it yet, the average home user shouldnt have to worry much about it thou. I would highly suggest you do upgrade to SP2, just backup your data first like you should whenever you do an update. I actually had a distaste for SP2 at first as well, but now I kinda like it, I just disable the craptastic firewall they give you and kill the security center service to avoid the overnaggin power users dont need to see. Just give it a try you got nothin to lose. If your really paranoid about it make a ghost image of your hard drive and then do it. and if you dont like it reinstall with your ghost image and your back up and running in no time.

p.s to cjeck on your messenger service go to administrative tools under the start menu and go to the services page.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks