What's new

Poor Man Dan here. Getting the Poor Man's Home Theater Up and going. (1 Viewer)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi Everyone.... 10/13/14...

Poor Man Dan here. Getting My Poor Man's Home Theater Up and Going... :D

My Poor Man's Home Theater will run me under $1,000 bucks. But it's a dream for me....

Every Monday AM. I will post what has been done. And the cost..

Next Monday AM... ( What I have and the cost so far).

Have a great one all.

Poor Man Dan...

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,
You bet I will. Every Monday AM i will put what I have done. And the cost so far....
Next Monday. I will put up what I have so far. And the cost... ( Photo's I hope).

Have a great one.........

Poor Man Dan

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello All,
Poor Man Dan here........
This is a simple update to say.. I am changing my update's on my Poor Man's Home Theater to Sunday's....

So this Sunday I will have my first update........

And a few Photos.....

Have a great one all. I am...

Poor Man Dan

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello All. Poor Man Dan here...........
With my first update on ( POOR MAN DAN'S HOME THEATER). ( For Under $1,000 ) Bucks..

Before we start. Let me ask you......

Are you sick of going to the theater and the dumb price to get in?
Are you sick of going to see a movie that turns out to be total trash?
Are you sick of the water Cokes?
Are you sick of the last week's Pop Corn?
Are you sick of Joe and Sandy q public going 90 on the cell phone as you watch the movie that cost up the kisser to get in to see?
I am. I stopped going years back. And got a 55" LCD TV. And good blue-ray player...That is all fine... But keep telling myself.
I want a nice Poor Man's Home Theater.
So I am on my way to getting it done....... The Poor Man's way........

What I am going to do is.. Get a Home Theater with.
1. A Projector.
2. A Laser Disc Player.
3. A Blue Ray Player.
4. A 4 Ft High......... 8 Ft wide screen.
5. Have Net Flix online & Warner Bros online hook'ed up to it.
6. And have it all set up with Closed Caption and SDH. For the hard of hearing.. (Yes I am Hard Of Hearing). I do have a Cochlear Hearing Implant. And it works great. But it's not a fix all. I still use CC are SDH when watching TV and Movies...
One thing I did find out. A lot of the projectors will not decode CC/SDH. The new DVD's will do it great. As the DVD player and the TV show/movie has the CC/SDH on it... And will go through the projector...
All my Laser disc I have. Have CC on them. ( BUT). The Projector will not decode it. And the Disc player will dot decode it..
So I went and got a CC decoder.. From Tri-Vison.. Does the job great!

Up this week............
My Laser Disc Player........... My One and only got me this Laser Disc Player 25 years ago. Yes! 25 Years ago. And it still plays like a dream. Been using it with my 55" Tv. Price for the Laser Disc player. $100.00 bucks........ How?
It was a demo player at Mc Man's You know. Mc Mans from way back in the 60's 70's 80's. they had it when we went in to make a payment.
It was $900... I look'ed at it and said to her.. I would love to have that.... But the price.... Keep in mind in 1986 900 was some big bucks..
Every month when we went to make a payment on the stuff we had go.. I look'ed at it.. And every month the price would drop about 200 bucks. It went from 900. To 700. Then 500. Then 300. then to 100. One day we went in to make a payment. And it has $100.00 on it.
And I took it and said to the guy. 100... And he said yes! And I said. SOLD! And it plays great still.

I pick"ed up a Sharp LCD Projector on EBay.. for $150....... It work's great still has about 2,500 Hrs left on the bulb. And you can get them all over on the net...
So far my cost is................................ $100.00 For the Laser Disc player. And yes you can get one on E bay for that price are less.
The Projector I got on E bay. $150.00
The CC Closed Caption Decoder. $125.00

The Cost So far...................................$375.00

More to come..............Have a great safe fun week......

WP_20141019_11_15_19_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141019_11_15_40_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141019_11_21_03_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141019_11_21_50_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141019_11_56_24_Smart1.jpg

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello everyone.....

Poor man Dan here.. With Update two... On Poor man Dan's Home Theater... YES! My Home Theater will run me $1,000 are less.
How? A lot of Looking.. Looking. and more looking.. :)
And finding a few good deals here and there. I got so sick of the Theater. The price to get in... The Water Cokes. Last week's Pop Corn.
And the out of control people, kids... And the going at 90 on the cell phones.
I said Hell with it.... And I am going to get my Home Theater up and gong.
So........... This week............
Laser Disc Player on 2. And the Blu-Ray DVD player... And Video Cables......
And off we go!
I got a Pioneer Laser Disc player on E bay..... ($37.00). YUP! $37.00 And it has two remotes. The main one.. And a small one. That is also a bar code reader. It works great...I did a good check out on it. Watched a few movies on it.. Works just great. Came from a school in Tex..
The Laser Disc player is.. A Pioneer CLD-V5000........ Will need to find out more about the bar code reader...
WP_20141026_11_24_15_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141026_11_29_22_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141026_11_27_07_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141026_11_34_18_Smart1.jpg

WP_20141026_13_53_03_Smart1.jpg

I picked up a two video in, one video out deal. So I can have both Laser disc running to the projector. That way I can use one are the other Laser Disc players.
And I got a Sony Blu-Ray player.. BDP-S360..
And I pick up some video cables.... 6 Ft cables they are BELKIN cables... And I checked them out.. And they do the job just fine..
Will need to get a few more...
Here are some more photos.......
More to come next week...
Have a great week... And rock on... The best way..............
Poor Man Dan

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great, Dan! Keep the reports comin'!

One thing, though. As an FYI: it's Blu-ray. Not Blue-ray. ;)

The hazards of posting on an HT-intensive site! :biggrin:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Dan, you might get more visibility on this if were moved to the Member's HT forum, would you like me to do so? Many folks only come to the welcome area sparingly.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hi,

Yes can you do so for me please... And can I get a ULR for it.. So I keep adding to to...

Thanks again....

Be well.
Poor Man Dan

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello Everyone. Poor Man Dan here. With this Sunday's update.......

Hello all. This week's update will be on. A Mistake I have made. (Yup I made one). Not a big one.. But still I made on :eek:

I made it on a Video Splitter.. :eek: It's not a big thing. A simple $1.50 deal.. See Photos...
I am going to need a three way deal.. Three in. One going out to the projector..

One video in from one Laser Disc player.
One video in from Laser Disc player on two.
And one video in from the DVD player..
So it's a three in. One out to the projector...
The projector also has a computer in. That is all ready been taken care of.. With a 12 Ft cable...
More on that next week.
WP_20141102_09_04_09_Smart1.jpg
WP_20141102_09_04_31_Smart1.jpg
WP_20141102_09_04_40_Smart1.jpg
WP_20141102_09_04_31_Smart1.jpg

Next week..... The right video splitter and more about cables I will use & need....

Have a great safe fun week... The best way is the fun way..........

Poor Man Dan.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dan:

Do you have an HT receiver? Usually that would be the device that would deal with sending source signals to your display device.

You mention your source decks (LD & Blu), projector and screen. But nothing about audio. How do you plan on listening to your discs?

Since I'm not sure what you've got (or are planning on getting), I'm wondering if rather than a simple splitter (as well documented in your last post) you might be better off with a switch box--something like this.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Hello,

I am hard of hearing... And a sound system will do me no good. I use CC Closed Caption all the time...
And everyone that comes over to watch things it's great.. everyone is learning to read real fast. And better...
But yes I am looking in to a switch box.. That will be the next thing I need to buy...

Have a great one... Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks