What's new

Poll: what do you HATE most about DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
* P & S only movies (Muppet Christmas Carol)
* Poor menus

Layer changes are annoying - but since I used to watch LD's - it's not the end of the world (getting up to change an LD was a pain in the a** second to none.)

MichaelAW

Second Unit
Incorrectly placed layer changes. My old flipper discs have the "flips" in between scenes, why can't the layers switch during scenes?

SteveA

Supporting Actor
1. Security stickers on three sides of the case.
2. Snapper cases.
3. Titles that lack a DTS track.
4. Forced trailers.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
The stupid security stickers *under* the shrink-wrap/plastic wrap. If you've gotten the disk out of the store, what the hell are those for?

John.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Really simple answer, Pan and Scan product corrupting my favourite home theater format. Disgusting desecration of art. (and yes, I know I'm selfish)

MartinTeller: Most Dolby Digital decoders allow some kind of dynamic range control, or midnight mode. Have a look in the setup menu of your DVD player or reciever. The uncompressed dynamic range of audio was one of the reasons I bought a DVD player. Once I find a comfortable dialogue level, I don't touch the remote. (although having said that, I've not seen Jason and the Argonauts.)

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
Many valid points here but what gets on my nerves the most are those goddamn non-skippable FBI Warnings and sometime the Studio Logos... What is the point of that?!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm shocked that nobody here has yet stated one of the most complained about problems with DVD: Excessive Edge Enhancement! The excessive "ringing" around foreground objects caused by too much application of this "enhancement" absolutely ruins the experience of viewing DVD, since it's obvious when one observes this effect that one is viewing a "video interpretation" of the movie and not the actual film itself. And the whole idea of the DVD format was supposedly to bring us closer to the "film" experience at home.
A layer change does take one out of the "film experience" as well, but at least it only lasts for a half-second or so. Excessive edge enhancement can potentially do that for the entire length of the feature.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
While this might be a localized complaint, what I hate the most are the prices over here in Norway, compared to USA, and the extra expenses and difficultiues regarding personal import.

Personal import is legal, but they sure don't make it easy for us. I don't mind waiting, but I mind the way they handle it, and the fact that they charge money from me in order to do so.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Forced Logos, Snapper Casses, Layer Changes (although that is more of a DVD player thing, im sure they could make a memmory buffer to handle the layer change), Non OAR (More of a sudtio complaint). Looking forward to blue laser technology 1080i DVD's.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Animated menus that make me wait for what seems like 5 minutes before making a selection (e.g., every Flying Circus DVD)

Animated menus and chapter stops containing spoilers

DVD's where either the movie starts automatically without displaying the main menu, or where the main menu only waits for a short time before proceeding to the movie without a selection being made.

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Sparsity of PCM support where only a two channel or mono soundtrack is available on the disc. This doesn't apply to most supplement packed SE DVD's where space is an issue but quite a few bare-bones DVD's would benefit greatly from PCM.
.....hell, all 2 channel soundtracks would benefit from PCM but that can't always happen.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
There's nothing I hate about DVD. I use my computer to play my DVDs also, and Power DVD has a setting to automatically adjust the volume when it gets too loud. In case you're wondering, my video card has TV out on it. Works GREAT. I use TV TOOL so it looks like I'm using an actual DVD player. Anyway. I watched Pearl Harbor and never had to touch the volume control during the loud scenes. It did it by itself. Works great. Actually, I kepted kicking it up a notch every few minutes because it wasn't loud enough. LOL But, had them airplanes flying through the house, even with my Dolby Prologic system. I'm never ever again renting or buying VHS. Quality is crap, Pan and Scanned, and when the VCR hits a bad part of the tape, the stereo sound is lost, which I think is a bunch of crap. Cassettes, 8 tracks, and Reel to Reels never lose their stereo sound when they hit a bad part of the tape. Why does VHS do this crap? I call that POOR MANUFACTURING. No reason why it should do that. It's just as bad as an FM radio when it gets to far from the radio station. Makes no sense at all and I hope someday, VCR makers will fix this problem.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Most Dolby Digital decoders allow some kind of dynamic range control, or midnight mode. Have a look in the setup menu of your DVD player or reciever.
:emoji_thumbsup: I should have RTFM. Yep, there is dynamic range compression, three levels of it no less! I had it turned off. I set it on High, will test it out sometime soon. Hopefully I won't have to ride the volume control so much anymore.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Any disc that tries to turn watching a movie into playing a video game or CD-ROM (that includes ANY up-front menus)!

AllanN

Supporting Actor
When you cant stop the FBI warning screens and the logo screens from comming up. I have a changer so I have to wait through all that BS just to swtich the disk to the one I want and wait again.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not really much to hate.

But, for someone who collects a lot of Disney titles, I must say that the long list of "coming attractions" at the beginning of most every BV title is quite annoying. Disney won't let you access the menu control or skip past them easily.

I don't put "name a Disney animated classic here", just to sit through ads that tell me about Lady & the Tramp 2, Tarzan 2, Cinderella 2, etc.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I agree with all the others that stated the following:

1) The non-skippable FBI warning and Copyright.

2) The non-skippable animated menues (when I put a DVD in the player just go to the damn movie!).

3) The animated menu that also gives away part of a scene.

4) An excessively loud menu when the movie starts out and remains soft for most of it's playback.

Now, one of the ones I hate the most...:

5) Default to the 2.0 stereo/DPL track when there is a 5.1 track on it (most DVD players have a choice of bitstream on the digital out, but this peeve really applies to the older discs).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks