What's new

Directors Poll: The use of the word "twist" in Movie Reviews (2 Viewers)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
This is something that really bugs me, and I wonder who else this bothers besides myself.

Do you get upset when you are reading a "spoiler-free" review (at least you think you are) and the reviewer says something like "the final twist" or "the ending has a twist".

To me, the use of the word "twist" basically tells me to "expect the unexpected", and most of the time I can figure out the ending before it happens.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Yes, I know what you mean. It tends to set your mind working as to the possible turn it's going to take, thus negating its effect when it comes.

Nowadays, I tend to stay away from reviews until after I see the film, then compare notes on our reactions. Except possibly VERY borderline films which need a nudge one way or the other.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Scott,

LOL...I thought the thread was dead because I started the topic. :frowning:

I posted this thread figuring more people would be bothered by this. I am probably one of the few that still goes to the theaters on a regular basis while still picking up new DVDs on Tuesdays. The reason why I do go on a regular basis to the theaters is because when people discuss a particular movie that they like, they try to "sell" it to others, sometimes saying more than what they should. There are times I just walk away shaking my head thinking, "I can't believe you had just said that."

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As every damn movie made these days, tries to have some sort of twist ending. I don't think it really matters. it is a forgone conclusion and to me the biggest twist ending a film could have now is to not have a twist ending.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Brett, I still go to the theatre regularly, too. The less I've heard going in, the better. I just don't understand how people can wait for the DVD until half the world knows the story. Nothing beats the thrill of taking off from work early to see it on opening day.

Everyone at work knows how seriously I take my movies -- if anyone EVER purposely spoiled a film for me, I'd probably never talk to them again.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I just don't understand how people can wait for the DVD until half the world knows the story.
Elizabeth,

I don't understand that either. It just seems that when a movie does have a "twist" ending, and it is a popular movie a ton of "spoofs" appears mocking the ending. I never saw The Crying Game for that very reason.

I never had anyone intentionally try to spoil a movie for me, but I usually get the next best thing (so to speak), hence the topic of this thread. I had the cashier at the theater I visit regularly (I always end up having a conversation with her) recommend a movie to me that I had not seen, and she proceeds to tell me that the end has a "good twist". It was very difficult for me to smile and thank her for the recommendation since she is a very nice person. A couple of weeks later I brought up this topic to her without making reference what-so-ever to our previous conversation, so hopefully she won't do that again with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks