What's new

Police Story 1973 (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Brent Avery

I'm afraid that I will go through the 21 episodes rather quickly at the rate I am going.Finished Collision Course with Hugh O'Brian last night and, as usual found it quite good.

What is the picture/print quality like with the episodes from "Requiem for an Informer" to "Collision Course"?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Has Shout Factory skipped the Titles for the Shows? I Think I remember an intro on these where they announce the stars of the nights episode, with the great series theme. Now they just start up with the titles and a brief title card.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Dave Scarpa said:
Has Shout Factory skipped the Titles for the Shows? I Think I remember an intro on these where they announce the stars of the nights episode, with the great series theme. Now they just start up with the titles and a brief title card.
Here's what someone wrote as a comment on a YouTube video of the end titles: "I remember Police Story was ahead of its time in that most of the open sequence was the first scene of the show (with the credits superimposed).. with only a stinger with the theme heading to the first break..or something to that effect.. I'm glad to see the close "in the clear" after all these years. Where I grew up, they always did a voice over promoing something so you couldn't enjoy it."

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I watched the First Disc and I have to say I am impressed with the show. Great character actors all around. We don't have this caliber today IMO. Elizabeth Ashley is always wonderful to see in any role.

Great Set. Worst every penny!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Powell&Pressburger said:
I watched the First Disc and I have to say I am impressed with the show. Great character actors all around. We don't have this caliber today IMO. Elizabeth Ashley is always wonderful to see in any role.

I have watch Disk 2, Disk 3 and Disk 5 and was amazed to see actors like martin balsam, young kurt russell, ed asner, vic morrow, larry wilcox, jan michael vincent, etc. I love many of the plots, especially watching how the evolved.

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
I have not yet purchased the set but I am looking forward to it. Did anyone happen to notice that Alex Cord (Archangel from Airwolf) and Jan-Micheal Vincent (Hawke from Airwolf) were in the episode 'Line of Fire' together? I thought that was so cool when I discovered that as they were costars later together on Airwolf. A fan of Airwolf first it was nice to see them interact together in this show. It's a good episode. I wonder if Shout is going to release the next set of episodes. There is also another episode that Jan-Michael Vincent appeared in.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
ElizM said:
I have not yet purchased the set but I am looking forward to it. Did anyone happen to notice that Alex Cord (Archangel from Airwolf) and Jan-Micheal Vincent (Hawke from Airwolf) were in the episode 'Line of Fire' together? I thought that was so cool when I discovered that as they were costars later together on Airwolf. A fan of Airwolf first it was nice to see them interact together in this show. It's a good episode. I wonder if Shout is going to release the next set of episodes. There is also another episode that Jan-Michael Vincent appeared in.
Yes, i watch the episode and it was good. Alex Cord plays a sniper on the SWAT team. There are many good episodes!

ElizM

Agent
Real Name
Yes, I have seen it too, just not from a very good copy. I thought it was a really good episode. Have not seen any others yet from the series but will enjoy watching them once I buy the DVDs.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger

That will be worth the wait with Elizabeth Ashley in an episode of the first season. I thought she was very believable in the Mission: Impossible episode "Encounter" (she's very entertaining in Treme as well).

Charles H

Screenwriter
Great set and I would love it if Shout Factory brought out THE BLUE KNIGHT miniseries with William Holden's Emmy-winning performance. One mystery: They've included (as a purported extra) an episode called "Big John Morrison." It's a great episode and it's listed as a "Movie of the Week". I can find no reference to it on the imdb. It's very violent (think Jackie Cooper in the Mitchum part in Cape Fear. Was it pulled from broadcast?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm going just by the NBC airdate given on EpGuides.com's episode list for Police Story, but the airdate looks correct. Based on the airdates for each episode of the first season (not including the pilot "Slow Boy"), they aired on the same night and the show wasn't moved to a new night. So I'm assuming "Big John Morrison" wasn't pulled from broadcast.

Charles H

Screenwriter
It has no mention in the episodes title section of the imdb or the filmographies of Cooper, Don Meredith, Sharon Farrell or even Jack Bailey ("Queen for a Day") who has a credited bit in it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
As the seasons went on, did they still call the show 'The Police Story', or was it always that way?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Been watching these and this is a good show with many great guest stars in just about every episode. It's obvious that Sony (Screen Gems actually) put money into the show. I've also started watching Medical Story as well, which was done by David Gerber about the same time and is very similar in terms of feel, scripts and production values. Doubtful Shout would do anything with that one as it only last half a season.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
Been watching these and this is a good show with many great guest stars in just about every episode. It's obvious that Sony (Screen Gems actually) put money into the show.
I impulsively tossed this into a large batch of pre-orders in September, and kept wringing my hands over whether to keep it in or cancel it in the weeks before it finally shipped. Turns out that the set I was most eager for (Kojak S2) has been mostly 'ok', while the stories I've seen from PS have been excellent! Could still hit a batch of clunkers, but so far I'm very happy with the blind buy. While I was conscious of the show back in the day, I never saw one ep. This was the kind of stuff my best friends literate, cultured, parents would watch (I do remember them watching it actually). My family's tastes ran more to the Arron Spelling formula crap- stuff that I frequently makes me cringe while watching now.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Paul_Scott said:
I impulsively tossed this into a large batch of pre-orders in September, and kept wringing my hands over whether to keep it in or cancel it in the weeks before it finally shipped. Turns out that the set I was most eager for (Kojak S2) has been mostly 'ok', while the stories I've seen from PS have been excellent! Could still hit a batch of clunkers, but so far I'm very happy with the blind buy. While I was conscious of the show back in the day, I never saw one ep. This was the kind of stuff my best friends literate, cultured, parents would watch (I do remember them watching it actually). My family's tastes ran more to the Arron Spelling formula crap- stuff that I frequently makes me cringe while watching now.
I never watched it either but I didn't really see that much prime time TV in the 70s as I was usually just watching sports if I was home at night. And since that's the pre-VCR era, if you missed it, you missed it. No time-shift recording method. Oh, if it makes you feel any better, I watched more than my share of Aaron Spelling formula crap as well - Rookies, SWAT, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch. And I agree, all of which are now so bad as to be cringe worthy. But even then, I drew the line at even worse crap like Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Matt Houston, TJ Hooker and Hart to Hart.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to be honest, most of the episodes of this show that I went through from the S1 release left me cold. This strikes me as a show that seems to want to shout it out loud that they are so wonderfully different from other cop shows that preceded it by showing us the more dysfunctional aspects of cops and I suppose its the fact that this genre has been beaten to death relentlessly ever since (especially once Hill Street Blues debuted) that I find myself less impressed by it overall. OTOH, when I went through S2 of "Kojak" my regard for that show skyrocketed by contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks