What's new

Pointless nostalgia time, folks... (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
My first player was the Toshiba 2107 in Sept 97 for $499. The first DVD I bought was Batman. I sold that player a few months later and picked up a Sony 7000 with the switches.

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
My first was a Sears POS, allegedly made by Zenith (although it also looked frighteningly similar to an Onkyo and an Emerson...), which played CDRs but not VCDs. Bought that at Sears, obviously, then walked across the street and picked up The Mummy for the astonishing price of $36.99 CDN.
That player worked great up until about 7 months ago, when it was very choosy about what it would or wouldn't play. Disneys all worked fine, some CTS were okay, most Universals, the problem was that in a 2-disc set, it would only work on the first disc...apparently the laser was dying. Gave it to my nephew who is enjoying the hell out of it and just got his first job to upgrade his stereo system for surround sound in his bedroom.
Bought an Apex 1100W, and although it is a dirt cheap player, it's absolutely outstanding in terms of performance, picture quality, you name it. Not one problem disc, not one compatibility issue, it's money and it doesn't even know it. Currently convincing my wife (and I will sweeten the deal with promises of Amadeus and Grease, her two favorite movies) that we need two more, one for the rec room and one for our bedroom :D

Andreas_CH_M

Auditioning
Real Name
Andreas Magnusson
My first was a Panasonic A110 imported from the US back in 1998, region 1 only. It costed way too much :) Like $500 converted.
Have since upgraded to a Sony 7700.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My first DVD was The Matrix. I rented the VHS on a friday night, took it back on saturday and bought the DVD. Finally got around to buying my first DVD player, a Toshiba 2109 a week later.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I bought a JVC 501BK in 1998. I bought my first two discs on the same day: DARK CITY and THIS IS SPINAL TAP:CC. I ended up selling it when it started developing strage quirks. I've had a Pioneer DV333 since then. Not as nice a player, but it was what I could afford at the time. It'll do until someone bids on my kidney on eBay and I get my new HT setup. ;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh, one more blast from the past...the first movie on DVD that I showed my friends was SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. They were blown away.

Some 5.5 years later, we are going to watch the new special edition--and I almost guarantee a drool response.

- Steve

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Mine was a 1st gen Toshiba. I had it for about 3 months. I would not perform the layer change on TERMINATOR 2 (live) so I returned it and got a Sony S500 ($600) not DTS, but a great player at the time I thought.

John Bryant

Second Unit
RCA something or other. Still works great. First dvd's were American Pie Unrated, Big Daddy, Bulletproof, Happy Gilmore, and Billy Madison. All Christmas 1999.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
My acual owned DVD player is Sharp player I got a few months back. But before that, I been using other players in the house or my worthless Playstation 2, which I stop using as a player after finding out that it will kill gaming usuage in time.

But my first DVD was two ago during winter time. It was a bad snow storm and my DVD bought a DVD player, and I looked at Amazon.com for Spaceballs (a favorite of my), to see if was released on DVD. It was and soon my brother bought it for me and I was happy. Later on, I bought Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes and The Rock criterion collection, and then I stop buying. But once I got the PS2, I speed thing up and that is history.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I bought a JVC 501BK in 1998. I bought my first two discs on the same day: DARK CITY and THIS IS SPINAL TAP:CC. I ended up selling it when it started developing strage quirks.
So, did you tell the lucky sap you sold it to about these "strange quirks"? ;)

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
My first player was a multi-zoned Toshiba 2108 and my first DVD order in June 1999 (which was actually made prior to purchasing the player) comprised: The Stanley Kubrick Collection, Starship Troopers, Babe: Pig In The City, Dark City, Mars Attacks!, Quatermass & The Pit: Special Edition, and Ronin.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
One of them Sony HT's in a box. Wasn't great but it sure turned me on to it all. First two dvd's were, Jaws and Braveheart! What a great hobby it's turned out to be.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My first player was a Toshiba 2008 from 800.com(rip) which I ordered in '98. The first DVD I bought was Scarface. Four years later the DVD player is still alive and well in my bedroom and Scarface is one of my top 10 favorite discs.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
My first DVD player was a Pacific DVD-ROM kit that I bought in January, 1998. It was very inconvenient to use, and in October, 1998, after I moved into a different place where the PC was too far away to reach the TV, I ordered my first set-top player, a Toshiba SD3108. I used this one for about 8 months, until I replaced it with a closeout Proscan.
Other set-top players I've had:
  • Toshiba SD5109
  • Panasonic X410
  • Zenith DVX2100
  • RCA 5231Z
  • JVC XV-DX1 (non-working prototype)
  • Panasonic RP-91
My current favorite is a PIII-800 with an M-Audio sound card and ATI Radeon LE video, running Windows Millenium, WinDVD 2.8 playback software, and YxY aspect ratio control.
RD

Declan

Second Unit
Mine was a multiregion Pioneer 717. Got in Christmas 99. I had been buying discs for it since October. I got Blair Witch Project (as it was only out at the flicks here when it was released on r1), Armageddon Criterion, Enemy Of The State, Heat, Contact, American Pie:Unrated and The Matrix. Had one hell of a night when I finally got the player:D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Technically, my first player was a Pioneer something-or-other back in July 1998. However, I wasn't wild about it, and I'd heard good things about Panasonics, so I returned the Pioneer and got my Panny A110 instead. Never regretted it! Four+ years later, and the 110 still chugs along well, along with the middle sibling (my A120) and its baby brother, the Panny changer whose name I can't recall.

Yes, I'm firmly a Panny boy, and so are all my friends, simply because they buy what I tell them to buy. (After watching 1300 or so DVDs over the year, I'd hope I'd have SOME sort of authority on the subject!) I'm sure there are other good players, but with four+ years of Panny use and nary a problem in that time, I can certainly vouch for them...

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
First player - Toshiba SD-3107U. Bought it in late '97 and sold it to my friend's dad in '99. Still fully functional with no problems using the original firmware (no upgrades or mods) and the only drawback being it will not pass a DTS bitstream. Not bad for a 1st gen player with well over 3000 play hours logged.

First discs - Batman and Eagles: Hell Freezes Over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks