What's new

Pls. don't laugh !!! how do I protect your HT from EMP (1 Viewer)

LiorM

Agent
Hi ,
Let's say I survive the upcoming nuclear war.
How do I protect my HT from the elector magnetic pulse created by the nuclear bomb.
The elector magnetic pulse would destroy electrical circuit a huge distance from Ground Zero, potentially even knocking out satellites.
Is there any shielded that I can use ?
Thanks ...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think it's funny at all. Kind of scary that you would even have to consider such a thing happening, and I don't blame you. I also have to say that if it does come to something like that, HT gear would be of little concern to me.

I am no expert, but a nuclear missle detonated in the atmosphere has no chance of knocking out satellites in orbit, only transmitters and relays on the ground. However, electronics within *some distance* of the pulse will be knocked out temporarilly, and possibly damaged.

Luke_Y

Second Unit
LiorM, Thought you were joking, then noticed your location and thought - Well OK, maybe not.

Just pulling from my military experience I don't think there are any effective measures you could take that would actually be reasonable or cost effective.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
not even surrounding your home in a faraday cage with a mu metal exterior. i recall an interesting article sometime back on such pulses in popular science.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Using Google to search for "EMP Shielding" turns up many possible sources of information. For instance, the link at the bottom of this page discusses how to build an EMP resistant facility.
Holadem is right - in the event of a nuclear strike, assuming you survived, your HT would be the least of your problems. :)

Holger

Stunt Coordinator
hi lior m,

a little off topic, but what the heck...

well the effects of emp during a nuclear blast are still widely unknown, but one thing can be taken for sure. the higher the nuke goes off up in the atmosphere, the higher will be the damage to electrical devices via emp. this was tested in the 60' when nukes were detonated in the space. if i remember correctly, one multi megaton device created such an huge emp blast, that there were massive disstortions from hawai to new zealand.

anyway, you shoudn't be to worried about the emp because nukes will be usually detonated on the ground or in a maximum height of about 2-3 kilometers(or below), regarding if they have to destroy targets on the earths, like missile silos, or if they are supposed to spread the blast and fireball troughout a wider area like a city for example. so you should be more concerned about a one million factor sun blocker and a solid and deep cellar:) ( i know the possible dangers of an iraq war very well, so please excuse my kind of black humor)

regards, holger

Tony F

Auditioning
I actually know something about this topic.
There is shielding that can help your system: it resembles a metal box, completely sealed without any cracks, in which both you and your home theater must reside to be protected - quite expensive. Unfortunately, you also must eliminate conducting cables which penetrate to the outside from within this shielded enclosure - rather difficult to receive electrical power!
Why worry...
;)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If your home theatre equipment was destroyed by an electro-magnetic pulse from a nuclear detonation, you wouldn't be concerned about your equipment. You'd be lucky to be alive, and if you were, you'd be unsure of whether you'd survive for very long. I don't think the world would be the same place and I doubt you'd be using your home theatre if there was any detonation of nuclear weapons in North America.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Well, the fact that the original poster is located in Israel might explain his paranoia and rational thought process about a nuclear explosion ;)
Lior, about the only sure fire way to avoid EMP (or all radiation) in a nuclear blast would be to get as much earth between you and the explosion as possible. There are companies that sell bomb shelters that you bury in your backyard, sorry I don't have a link at the moment. You could locate your HT and couch in there, but your friends might think you are nuts.
After a nuclear blast, your HT needs might be better served by you stocking up on petrol, ciggarettes, and shotgun shells beforehand. Hard to watch DVDs when a gang of scavengers is looting your house... hehe.
BTW - This may be the oddest topic I have ever seen in ANY message forum.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
think it might be good to get one of those super duper, shielded, torroidal choke power cords?
i certainly hope it never comes to that. btw, there are weapons out there that don't cause any physical destruction rather who's sole purpose is to create an electromagnetic pulse.
so much for getting our wish of living in interesting times, huh?

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I understand your question to a point as the world seems to become very precarious in nature. Considering where you live, it would be a concern.

I've learned that material things can be replaced. "Things" such as audio equipment can always be replaced.

People, friends, family and the non-material items in life many times are not in that category. From a personal perspective, it would be the least of my concerns in the situation you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks