What's new

Please Stop banner ads (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,I use IE. But I can see if it will come up in either or both of those two browsers.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Remember, it will show up if you're not logged in. You have to be logged in to HTF to prevent these ads from showing.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Dave,I mentioned above (#18) that I always get the ads when I am logged in.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I get an ad about "HP Officejet Por X" when I click on the above link- I don't think that is correct ?????? Otherwise I don't have any problems with ads.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Annoying_pop_up_ad.jpg

I'm logged in and this bloody thing opened up and started playing over the forum.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Neil,Yep, that's the one. I haven't seen it for a day or two now.

Edit: It's still there.

Domelo

Auditioning
Real Name
John Domelo
Neil Middlemiss said:
attachicon.gif
Annoying_pop_up_ad.jpg

I'm logged in and this bloody thing opened up and started playing over the forum.
Moderator edit: We do not encourage the use of ad blockers on our site. We in fact ask our members to whitelist our site in general.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We don't know Sumner, because unfortunately we don't have very good insight onto who gets which ad unit. We're trying to figure this out, but are still working at it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've also been logged in when the ad appeared, both at home and at work. I've been on vacation for a couple weeks, but have not seen the ad since I returned a couple days ago.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The other class of bad-egg ads I get are for iOS games, which auto launch the App Store. They kick me out of safari and into the App Store on my iPad. I had one just this week.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Dave, Nothing to worry about. It's not. We simply fight against garbage ads in the inventory of our network like anyone else. We filter the obtrusive ads out for logged in members, but generally speaking, all you need to do is send us a link and truly unreasonable ads will be blocked.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is still coming up when logged in. Here are a couple more snips of info. Not sure if it's anything new/useful:

HTF ad2.JPG

HTF ad1.JPG

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Thanks Malcolm.

I had traced this down initially to an "upgrade" that was made on our back end that nuked what sets of groups were being exposed to these ads and which ones were not. I corrected that and it made sense based on the folks that were complaining about the ads and what groups they were in and which groups were not being excluded for certain ad units.

However, I checked on the groups that you are in and you should not be seeing the ads.

The screen grab is good and that ad should only show up if this type of ad is being displayed (see below). Let me know if you are seeing ads in these locations and if you are, then that at least explains why you are seeing the "floating 728x90" ad unit on the bottom of the page, which if hovered over will expand to the almost full page ad.

Guest are the only group of folks that are supposed to be seeing this type of ad. Members are only supposed to see 4 ads on the page at any one time and those are never supposed to be inline with the forum posts. There should be one 728x90 on the top of the page and one on the bottom of the page. There should be two 300x250's on the right side bar.

If there are 970's or 720's in between posts or topics, then there is something wrong with our system for restricting those types of ads. When I am logged in I don't see them, when I am logged out I do see them. Since this seems to be random, there might be something else going on when our back end was upgraded as I have had these types of ad units in the system for months. The complaints started coming in around the time that part of our backend was upgraded.

Below is a working example of where a normal 970 ad unit would appear (see red circle), but it is being replaced by the ad unit that you see on the top and the bottom of the screen. The part that will help me out tremendously is letting me know if you see that space or an ad in that space in between topics.

AdExample#1.jpg

The second example is after the first post in a topic. If you see a 728 ad unit there (circled in red), then you also shouldn't be seeing that as you are a logged in member (assuming you are logged in).

AdExample#2.jpg

LMK if you see either of the indicators of those ad units in between the 1st and 2nd topic and in between the 1st and 2nd post. That will give me something to really troubleshoot. Sorry about this, our goal is NOT to interrupt members experiences on the forum with bothersome ads. We want to encourage non-logged in visitors to become members so they don't see those ads.

In the future we are investigating a mechanism for members to be "ad-free".

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Coming to the forum today I was greeted with this:

Attachments

• HTF login.JPG
    HTF login.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 38

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
I have NO IDEA where that is coming from... Dave do you have any clues? What would be referencing to that site? It's definitely not an ad unit. I went to the site and it is for image posting...

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
At any rate, has anyone seen the types of ads I was describing above while they are logged in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks