What's new

Please release "Twilight's Last Gleaming" (Warner Bros.?) (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
walter o said:
it is coming soon.
"You don't really want those droids, er I mean movie"
9cde6ab0_Kenobi.jpeg

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I believe that Olive's care in delivering this will be extraordinary. Te timing could not have been more perfect -poltically and the fact that its 35th anniversary this year.
Twilights Last Gleaming would have-at best -been released by WB with a trailer and possibly a commentary-if not through the archives. Unless it is one of their MGM classics -most other films in their library-especially those from subsidiaries (Allied Artists here) aand from the 70s-are treated poorly.
Waiting is good -its foreplay without the mess at the end-just the satisfaction of the film finally coming.
I'm also waiting with baited breath for Olives Fedora-which also would have been discarded by WB. If we waited 35 years , another 6 months won't matter much. There are plenty of other films to fill up the gap.
By January 2013 -we will all be complaining about some other movie ("Where is the Goldwyn library WB promised!") or worst-complaining that Twilights Last Gleaming WASNT as good as we rememvbered!
I have faith that Olive will have a rockets red glare superior product soon enough of this

Kerhonen

Agent
Real Name
Janne
Haven't been able to pick it up yet, due to economic restrictions. Is it the same cut as the Key Video VHS? How's the transfer?

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Here's the BR review - i haven't seen a review yet for the standard edition and am still waiting on its deliver.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_58/twilights_last_gleaming_blu-ray.htm

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Kerhonen said:
Haven't been able to pick it up yet, due to economic restrictions. Is it the same cut as the Key Video VHS? How's the transfer?
The transfer is excellent. Ignore the beaver. He doesn't know what the film should look like. Robert Aldrich did not make "pretty" movies. He wasn't Douglas Sirk, George Cukor or Vincent Minnelli. In an Aldrich movie, the images are functional, not elegant. The BRD of Twilight's last Gleaming faithfully recaptures what the film looked like when new. There is also an excellent documentary about the making of the film.

Kerhonen

Agent
Real Name
Janne
Cool, thanks! Would seem to run some 40 seconds longer. Picture quality looks fine, and the OAR is a HUGE improvement.

Kerhonen

Agent
Real Name
Janne
Robin9, great to hear that. Indeed, am looking forward for the documentary, as well - for some odd reason I'm highly fascinated by anything Aldrich.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I can't wait to see this great film again...for the first time since theatrical first run...I hope I get my sweaty paws on it before this weekend... and, good god, I forgot that Melvyn Douglas was also in this great cast !!!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Kerhonen said:
Robin9, great to hear that. Indeed, am looking forward for the documentary, as well - for some odd reason I'm highly fascinated by anything Aldrich.
Nothing odd about being fascinated by Robert Aldrich films. He made a lot of interesting movies.
cineMANIAC said:
I'm growing quite fond of Olive's slipcovers - does Twilight's Last Gleaming come with one?
Mine didn't. I don't think any of my Olive Film BRDs have slip covers.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Flashgear said:
I can't wait to see this great film again...for the first time since theatrical first run...I hope I get my sweaty paws on it before this weekend... and, good god, I forgot that Melvyn Douglas was also in this great cast !!!
Melvyn Douglas! Did anyone have as great a latelife acting resurgence as him? I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER, ONE IS A LONELY NUMBER (Whers is this Warner?!), THE TENANT, TWILIGHTS LAST GLEAMING,THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN, BEING THERE, TELL ME A RIDDLE,THE CHANGELING, GHOST STORY- all amazing performances. Is there any actor today in his age at the time that has ookended his last decade in films withn 2 Oscar nominations and one win and had such a eclectic group of films to his credit?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I received the movie and agree with Robin that the transfer and restoration is excellent. It's important to note that the film was restored by Bavaria Studios and has restoration credits crediting Bavaria. So anyone on the fence because this was released by Olive shouldn't be because Olive didn't do the restoration. The documentary is also a great companion piece.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
cineMANIAC said:
I'm growing quite fond of Olive's slipcovers - does Twilight's Last Gleaming come with one?
Where are you ordering from that you get slipcovers?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Richard--W said:
Where are you ordering from that you get slipcovers?
I get most of my Olive Blu-rays from Importcds.com but not all of their BDs come with a slipcover - I was just saying I like them. Surprised Twilight Last Gleaming didn't come with one since Olive seems to include them on their top titles.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Hmm. You must be a preferred customer or something. I've bought a dozen Olive blu-rays from importCD so far and not one of them came with a slipcase. Other people have mentioned liking the slipcases. I will email them and ask them "Where are my slipcases?"

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The last ones that had a slipcase from my experience were Pursued, A Double Life, Macbeth and Cyrano de Bergerac. I have not received a slipcover from importcds since. However, it could be that they just didn't have them to begin with since that wave for whatever reason.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Richard--W said:
Hmm. You must be a preferred customer or something. I've bought a dozen Olive blu-rays from importCD so far and not one of them came with a slipcase. Other people have mentioned liking the slipcases. I will email them and ask them "Where are my slipcases?"
Did you get Invasion of the Body Snatchers. High Noon, The Boogens or Bound? Those four (that I know of) were released with slips. Maybe it was some kind of limited edition thing. I just find them striking because their slips don't have the ugly blue band along the top, plus Olive uses original poster art most of the time, so every inch of space is taken up by the art. If you're going to do a slipcover for your Blu-rays, this is the way it should be done.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Well, I'm a good consumer. So far I"ve bought:
The Buccaneer
Denver and the Rio Grande
High Noon
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
The Jayhawkers
Macbeth
Man On a Swing
Pursued
Ramrod
Rio Grande
Silver City
Twilight's Last Gleaming -- most exciting release this year, an absolute must.
The Trap
and another one or two I'm not thinking of. No slipcases.
Olive releases a lot of films after my own heart and I'll be buying more from ImportCDs in my next go-round.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/172641/please-release-twilights-last-gleaming-warner-bros/150#post_4005843
The last ones that had a slipcase from my experience were Pursued, A Double Life, Macbeth and Cyrano de Bergerac. I have not received a slipcover from importcds since. However, it could be that they just didn't have them to begin with since that wave for whatever reason.
Same here, I've received slipcases for those titles too.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm one of those people who waited a long, long time for TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING. I'm delighted with the transfer. An important and still vitally relevant thriller. Everyone should give this blu-ray a look-see.
It deserved a slip-cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks