What's new

Please recommend the best "Anti Virus" (1 Viewer)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
My trial version of Mcafee just expired. It worked amazingly!
Is Mcafee the best available?
The only other I know of is Norton Anti virus.

Mcafee seems to run around 70$ and Norton is around 20-30$.

Thanks for any input!

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Go to PCSecurity and get the Shield Antivirus. I've found it works perfectly, takes few resources on the computer and is inexpensive. I use it and spyware software from Webroot. Haven't had a problem with my "always on" computers in over three years.
JP

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Grisoft AVG Antivirus - has a freeware/retail version
Avast! - has a freeware/retail version

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I also use AVG combined with Spysweeper. But I'm not sure you can really tag one as "best". They all tend to miss some things that another might find. Plus, it will vary by the current virus definitions in effect.

A lot of people, myself included, have become annoyed at how McAfee and Norton take over your computer; and so stay away from them. On a more concrete level, since those two are the biggest, the bad guys may tend to target circumventing those first; or at least that's another rationalization I use for avoiding them.

DougR

Second Unit

One more vote for AVG Free !! Been using it for 2 years now..........works great !!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another vote for AVG from this former MacAfee user. It works just as well, and you can't beat the price.

You should be able to find MacAfee for *much* less than that. When I was using it, I typically paid $10 - $20 for a new version.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
There's no way of knowing. All I know is I tried both and Avast gives me a greater amount of warm fuzzies :) Also caught a trojan in a full system scan which I was happy about.

One cool feature is that the program doesn't contact Avast to check if there's an update every other hour or so.. If there's an update, Avast contacts you similar to your SMTP email service, and updates automatically. Of course you can manually check yourself anytime you want.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've tried both AVG and Avast! and like AVG better. Like Scott L, however, I can't quantify why. I just liked the interface on AVG better.

However, I think either AVG or Avast! will give you excellent protection and it will just come down to which interface you prefer. I would just download both AVG and Avast! and try each separately then go with the one you like the best. Both are great.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't argue against anything FREE.

However, from experience....

NORTON is total bloatware. It hogs system resorces.

I discovered MICRO TRENT PC-CILLIN. Costs $50 a year
and works tremendously better than Norton, almost silently
in the background. Does a superb job of catching all the
nasty email viruses sent to me on a daily basis.

Just my .02

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i dl'd avast. it seems interesting.
little balls in the task bar kinda neat

why not run both avg and avast?

btw
i started a system scan with avg.....5 hrs ago

how stinkin' long does it take to finish that.
laptop.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Looking back at the scan log details, AVG will do a full system scan in about 26-28 minutes on my computer. And usually I'm running multiple other programs at the same time.

My computer is 3.2Ghz Dual Core, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Because running two antivirus programs will cause conflicts. Just pick one. And don't forget the unbeatable spyware trio: Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster (all freeware)...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
You guys do realize that the reason Norton slows down your system is because it's doing a much better job than the 'free' versions?

Norton automatically gets installed with the highest level of security. Of course that means it will take away precious resources. You can scale back Norton to take up less...

It's just a matter of how much protection you're willing to give up over processing power. Most consumers don't know how to surf 'safely', so it's worth slowing down their system to make their surfing safer (by using Norton).

If you know what you're doing, then you can get away with less protection, but please don't knock a product because it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I installed Norton on my parents computer and my dad complained that the computer was 'slower'. I said "You're going to have to deal with slow because I don't want to keep coming over here and getting rid of viruses and ad-ware" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks