What's new

Please read: Future and current DIYers (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's all try to keep our own project discussion threads within 1-2 threads to be fair with everyone else who's got something cooking (having threads roll off the first page of ongoing projects doesn't have to happen if we all maintain some thread creation control).

When people start 6 different threads asking about a small piece of the puzzle, the helpful people start losing track of who's wanting to build what, and that's when it gets confusing for all of us here.

Thanks.

A

Anthony_Gomez

You mean I cannot have the following series of threads?
1) Should I DIY?
2) Now that I want to DIY, what Driver?
3) Why the Titanic over the Shiva?
4) Isn't the Shiva cheaper than the Titanic?
5) what volume enclosure for the shiva?
6) oh, should I go ported or sealed.
7) MDF or play for my sealed shiva
8) what amp
9) is 250watts enough?
10) etc etc etc
:D

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Dude. I'm looking for an answer to #5. Honestly!
I'm looking for a single ported Shiva. I don't want to go too awful big and would probably be around 75% HT and 25% music.
I posted something similar in two other threads, also asking for a program that's somewhat easy to use.
Thanks! :D :emoji_thumbsup:
Oops, I meant thumbs up. :b

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Let's just say that I'll be proactively merging any threads that are mainly for one person's current project.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
What type of thread title does one use that can cover all aspects. I think people would create less threads if they were able to edit thread titles. Then we could just keep reusing the same thread we first started on the subject.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Concerning thread titles here's a good, all encompassing title:
"New to DIY, Many Questions!"
:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
There's always the option to ask an admin to edit a thread. Also, it would be great if people used the Search function more because many of the "usual" questions have been asked and answered.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sure you can. I'm just asking people to keep project-specific questions in 1-2 threads, not 4-6 threads. Just out of common courtesy and sense.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
* It would be very cool if folks could pick up some basic grammar-school geometry skills.
"Hey guys, I don't know anything about subs. How many liters is a 24" wide x 48" tall piece of sonotube?"
* It's also funny when folks post questions over and over that they could answer themselves by not being so godforsaken lazy and downloading some free software. Then get all pissy when everyone doesn't jump in to help.
* There should be an automatic spell-checker for the car audio posts. Those are a blast grammatically, also.

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,
Horrors.... shurely u r knot impplying that the kar guys are literacy challenged, r u? :b
I resemble that remark! :D
-Jon

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
.. just a tid bit from a bit of a newbie to DIY..
I've researched and am reading a book about DIY equipment. As for the software end, it's rather confusing to jump into all alone. If it weren't for my book, I'd be totally lost instead of somewhat lost. :) Fortunately, there are courteous members of this forum (ie: Dustin) who are more than willing to lend as hand, as well as patience, when badgered with question after question via email.
Take it a little easy on me, fellas. I'm trying to do my part. :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No offense intended to you, Adam, you certainly don't fit the profile. :) You'll eventually notice whom I'm referring to. People who refuse to learn, and demand spoonfeeding, get oh-so-tiresome.

ShannonS

Auditioning
Jack -

I have to agree with Adam. Go easy on us newbies. The last physics class I has was in high school and I am by no means an EE. I am reading Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Cookbook" before I embark on my first subwoofer DIY project. It's very technical and a great deal of it is over my head, as is the case with the Unibox software. I have learned some basics from my research, but I don't know that I will ever be at your level of understanding. My background, by the way, is in finance and accounting. So if you need some advice on balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, etc., I am happy to help.

We may ask some dumb questions, and in some cases, the same dumb question twice, but bear with us as we try to figure out how to do it on our own. Having said that, anyone that doesn't at least attempt to figure out what all of this means probably shouldn't be trying to build speakers.

Thanks to everyone here for the excellent advice and help. It's very much appreciated.

I am going to attempt a SW-12 clone similar to the Aerial Stryke, but with a 12" driver. I think ThomasW and Jon Marsh have something like that in the works. Expect a "I need help" thread from me soon. I can do the woodworking part, but cabinet size (80L?), amp (Hypex 700w?), driver (BP1203?), damping, and equalization (if any) are a bit fuzzy at this point. By the way, does anyone know how to contact Bill from Blueprint about ordering a driver?

Users who are viewing this thread