What's new

Please Kill me, I'm an idiot. (1 Viewer)

The drama continues. The moving guys are supposed to be here in 30 minutes, but now it's POURING rain out, and the weather report says it's supposed to rain till tomorrow afternoon, at which point I'm on a plane for work which is in a different state (not back again till thursday late). Am I just this lucky or what? Hopefully if it calms back down to a drizzle then we can do it with a tarp over it. More later...

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Good luck with the hoist. I think you have provided a valuable lesson for all of us here, so stop beating yourself up. Let us know what happens.

Rained all day and all night, so I couldn't hoist it. Now I'm back to IL for a week to work. I have a new idea, I am going to call a repairman and see if he can dismantle it some. Either it could be taken apart enough to fit up the stairs, or maybe enough heavy parts can be taken out of the tv so that pulling it up with a rope won't be so hard/dangerous/risky. I'll let everyone know what the next move is.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Actually the sets aren't "all" that heavy--two guys can usually move them without too much effort. I'd think twice about dismantling the set since it might void your warranty. (Or at least get a repairman who really knows what he's doing.)

If the moving company has any kind of reputation they should be able to do the job without causing any damage--and if they do any damage they should have an insurance plan so that you'll be covered. Lots of pianos (which are much heavier) are hoisted up to buildings without any problems. If your moving company doesn't have insurance or a good record of doing such work, I'd invest more money into finding a better moving company.

LewB

Screenwriter
I think I should apply for the darwin award.
Hate to tell you this but in order to qualify for a Darwin Award you need to meet an un-timely demise. A 3 stooges-esque vision of you standing under the TV as it's hoisted up comes to mind :rolleyes:
Have you tried contacting a 'professional' moving company ? Perhaps they would be able to do what the Russians can't. Look at the bright side, where would you be if your landlord was an SOB ?

David Preston

Supporting Actor
If you plan on moving soon just let a friend put it in their place till you get your new place. Maybe you can persuade him to pay you like $25 a month,but he may say he's doing you a favor letting you put in there. Just my .02

Well, project is on indefinate hold. TV is in the basement. I don't know what to do. One service guy said I can take it apart some, another said it would ruin the TV and would cost like $400 for a repairman to do it. I don't know what to do at all. Risk voiding the warranty...or pay out the butt to get it hoisted, or sell it at a loss and buy a smaller TV. Decisions decisions. What would you guys do? Would you risk getting someone experienced take it apart? Would Toshiba ever know? Not completely apart, but enough so it's easy to take up through the window. Let me know. I'm getting so stressed about this.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Mike, I don't think I'd take the set apart unless it was by an authorized Toshiba dealer who would make good on repairing the set under warranty if it ever needed any work & I'd make sure I got that in writing before they touched the set. I would think the big thing you have to decide is, what is going to cost you more money selling it at a loss or having it lifted up into the apartment only to have to pay again to have it lifted out when you move & what if it needs repairs under warranty & the dealer will only fix it under warranty at the shop you'll be paying again to have it moved out & then back in. You might also try talking to a small Toshiba dealer & explain your problem & see if he would take it in on a trade for a smaller set but I don't know how much of a loss that might be but it might be worth a try if you got the set at a good discount it might be below what a small dealer might have to pay for it? But if it's getting to be too much, don't dwell on it, take the loss & get rid of it & just chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Since you're away on work, just chill out and forget about the set (if you can) and come back with a clearer prospective.

I second Neil Joseph's suggestion about figuring out your priorites before proceeding. Speaking from my experience, I really wanted a LARGE set(61 inch) and was determined to get it upstairs to my entertainment room (either up a narrow winding staircase or hoisting it through a second story window.) (For me, the staircase worked.) How much is it worth to you to have this exact TV? If you're willing to pay any price, there will certainly be a way to get it into your apartment. (Although at what expense?)

Instead of all the aggravation and money you are going to spend to get this TV upstairs, you might consider selling/trading in your new set for a plasma set which will cost you more now, but will save you money and aggravation when you move in the future.

To me, your hoisting option sounded the best so far as long as the moving men are EXPERIENCED in this type of thing and know what they're doing. I still think taking the set apart is a bad idea and if it was me and it was my brand, new set I wouldn't try it.

Good luck with your choice.

John CW

Supporting Actor
Hoist the damned thing! You have no plans to move (right?), so just hoist it up and enjoy it!

~ Johnny

Don't know what kind of banister it is, but it's an old house, and the banister looks built into the staircase somehow, not like the ones I'm used to. I'll probably be moving in 2 years at the latest, so it will definately be moved sooner than later. I hate giving up, so I want to get this TV in. Still could try bullying the store into taking it back, but I want my 57inch! The staircase is steep, so a 51inch might not even fit, and I'm not settling for anything less than 50inches. I'm thinking about getting som friends, and building some ramps and doing it myself. It has 9 feet to go to get up to the garage, and 6 feet to get up to the bedroom window. I think ramps would be the safest way. Right now I'm not stressing it, it caused me too much stress, and I'm going to take my time figuring this out now that I have it in a safe place. I won't totally dismantle my set, but I still might try and figure out how to lighten it some, and lose the key parts that are easily damaged.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Not trying to be a "Smart-Ass" but I hope you did measure that bedroom window to make sure it will go through it.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
How heavy is this TV exactly while in the box. Do you just open the window to get this thing inside or does it require that the window be removed from its frame first? I don't suppose you can tie string/rope around the box (securely) and hoist the thing up with the help of a few friends. Perhaps placing some kind of padding just incase Isaac Newton takes over. If this thing is around 250lb and 4 people do the pulling while 2 people do the guiding through the window, is this feasible as you see things?

Jim_P

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't seen this posted yet.

See if you can get a local brick and mortar store to take it as trade in on a larger set that will disassemble.

Gilbert ^P

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't you try to trade for someone's smaller(rptv) set and some cash? Might not be a great idea but it'a a option?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Mike- This is not entirely honest but in the situation your in I think I'd consider it. If you can get to the inside of the TV, unplug somthing or loosen a wire so the TV is inoperable, or if operable, the picture is totally unsatisfactory. Then call Toshiba and have them come and get it for a service repair under warranty. This doesn't solve your real problem ,but it does give you some time to consider some of your options. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks