What's new

Please improve New Post and Edit Post screens (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd like to see the edit screen be at least as good as the add-post for existing thread screen. The new post and edit screens are given these teeny tiny editors, in a miniscule font, lost in a sea of buttons and ads. What this means in practice, is that I usually ignore my typing errors, because the edit system is too difficult to use. My HTF use is on an iPad in Safari. I don't use a desktop computer anymore for HTF.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd like to see an editing system where i get half an hour to edit a post without having an edited message show up, i also ran into an issue today where i couldn't give someone a like this as it said i had reached my quota, that's not a large quota as i haven't given that many out, see below, i just edited this post less than twenty seconds after posting, that's ugly to me.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This came up in some other thread, but I still agree that there needs to be at least (what, five minutes? - ten would be better) of grace period before the ugly "Edited..." appears.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'll look into the likes and edit timeout - no problem guys.
As for the editor itself, i'll have to look into that as it's part of our platform and not something we can easily tweak. Can you send a screenshot of what you mean?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
You guys have 24 hours to edit posts - and can now remove "edited by" within that window. I've also increased the like limit to 48 every 24 hours.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Dave Upton said:
You guys have 24 hours to edit posts - and can now remove "edited by" within that window. I've also increased the like limit to 48 every 24 hours.
Thank you!! :)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm over the moon that i can now remove the edited by message, i'm always adding to posts or correcting typing issues so i am very pleased by this change, thanks for doing it, it's also good i can thank many more people for posts i like.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
In the next release (a few months) we will have a lot more control over the editor and can look at making some tweaks. In the meantime I did audit the likes and I found that some groups had a ridiculous small number of likes they could issue. I raised and standardized this number across all the user groups.

Super Cartoon Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I need some serious help with editing! I'm a new member who posted his first post and then tried to edit it but it didn't work (it said that I didn't have permission to use that feature) after several attempts (and it was only an hour or so after I made the original post). I need to add more content and fix a few punctuation errors! [Man, we desperately need an en-dash and/or an em-dash key that comes as a standard key on PC keyboards in North America -- as we always have to copy and paste the en-dash and em-dash symbols from another source such as Wikipedia, and that is so annoying in of itself!!]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steven:

There might be a restriction on editing for new sign-ups. I'll look into it.

In the meantime, why not just add another post with the additional content.

Welcome to the forum!
welcome.gif

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum. You should be able to edit your post for 24 hours via an edit link on the bottom right of your post.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Super Cartoon Fan said:
I need some serious help with editing! I'm a new member who posted his first post and then tried to edit it but it didn't work (it said that I didn't have permission to use that feature) after several attempts (and it was only an hour or so after I made the original post). I need to add more content and fix a few punctuation errors! [Man, we desperately need an en-dash and/or an em-dash key that comes as a standard key on PC keyboards in North America -- as we always have to copy and paste the en-dash and em-dash symbols from another source such as Wikipedia, and that is so annoying in of itself!!]
Some instructions for help in creating your dashes, i can't guarantee it will work for you though.

You can create a dash on a PC by holding down the ALT key and typing either 0150 (en-dash) or 0151 (em-dash).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks