What's new

Please help me!! (1 Viewer)

onetimeuser

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
so we rearranged our room so we are now reconnecting our receiver and speakers... everything works but the left and right front speakers!! we are using the yahama RX 990 receiver (it is pretty old) On this receiver, you can use two sets of speakers for the left and right. but we are just using only one left and one right. we know it is not the speakers because we hooked up a working speaker to the outputs. what could it be?!!??! the entire "front speaker" section outputs on the back of the receiver doesn't work cause we tried every possible combination. is it a fuse inside?! Is it a setting? I am getting very frustrated. any suggestions?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The simple, silly things first. Are the A/B buttons on the front of the receiver in the proper position? Did you accidently flip the Front Level switch on the back to -10 db? Did you remove the jumper pins between the Front-In and Front-Out? Check those first.

onetimeuser

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
We did check the jumpers and they were in the correct spot.. But after reading your comment, I looked at the manual again and noticed that we had the jumpers hooked in horizontally instead of vertically! and after I switched it, they worked! But would that have somehow harmed the receiver by having the jumpers in the wrong way like that? I hope not! One last question! how are we supposed to hook up the tv? we have an rca cable coming out of the "audio out" of the tv going into the VCR1 input. Does it matter what input we use? That is the only thing input we have going into the receiver (our blue ray player is going into the tv via hdmi and the audio goes through that rca cable into the receiver so we have surround sound.) Is this the correct way to do it? Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I don't think you harmed the receiver. Connecting two inputs together or two outputs together shouldn't have done anything. But hey, you need a new receiver anyway, right :D . It shouldn't matter what input you use. Use whatever is available. But there should be two cables, a left and a right (red and white). If your Bluray player has the multi-channel analog outputs you might want to try hooking them up to the multi-channel input on the back of the Yamaha receiver. You would get much better sound that way, from ther BR player at least.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Since the receiver is up and running, playing fine, I would say no damage has been done. That era Yamaha gear is really solid. I have an RX850 attached to a computer, been sitting on it's side and turned on for about 6 years

Users who are viewing this thread