What's new

Please help me with a mounting solution! (1 Viewer)

Patrick G

Second Unit
We just moved into a new house. Below is a photo of the stacked stone fireplace over which I plan to place a Samsung UN46D8000 (Dimensions 41"W x 23.6"H x 1.2"D). However, I need help in determining which mount is going to work best for me. Ideally, I would like to avoid having to drill into the stone. The builder has placed a small block of wood above the outlet to assist in mounting the TV. It's off-center so it could be mounted to the wall studs, but I'm hoping that won't matter if I purchase a side-to-side adjustable mount. And as you can see, the mantel hasn't been mounted yet in this photo. My biggest concern is the small size of that wood block, and the distance between the that block and the top of the mantel. Here are the key dimensions: Dimensions of mounting 2x4 wood block: 3.5" x 18" Distance from bottom of wood mounting block to top of mantel: 14" If anyone can identify for me a make and model of mount that would work for my situation, it would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! PHOTO:

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
well at a height of 23.6 inches if the mount holes are in the middle it should be enough clearance. splitting the height in half gives you 11.8 inches per half. So you should have 2 or 3 inches between the bottom of the tv and the top of the mantle. I have found in my experience of mounting tv's that getting the height right is more of a hands on thing rather than a math and measure thing. I measured out my mount height and ended up a little higher than i planed but it worked none the less. Here is a mount that I think would work for you:http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Tilting-Bracket-46SV670U-Television/dp/B0036FKAUQ It has a row of bolt holes right across the middle of the mount plate which you can mount right to that 2x4. Should allow you to slide tv to the right to center your tv too. Hope this is helpful to you. would like to see pictures when you get it mounted. That is quite a nice tv you are putting up.

Patrick G

Second Unit
Thank you for the suggestion. I plan to order 2 or 3 different mounts, and then return the ones that won't work for me.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
One other consideration. You might want to make sure that the board you plan to place your mount on is anchored to underlying studs. A wall mount, especially one that extends and/or swivels can move a screen out from the wall and place a considerable amount of leverage on the mounting points. The construct will only be as strong as its weakest point. If the base you are bolting or screwing your mount into is not secured to something solid, you might find your screen on the floor. That probably won't be covered in the warranty, either. I used a monoprice mount that has six screws, all sunk into studs under the drywall. My mount was also a bit larger than I needed for the flatscreen I put up in the great room. It allows the screen to turn nearly 180 degrees and tilt around 20-30 degrees, and it supports a screen up to 200 pounds. With the screws anchored in studs, the mount on the wall doesn't budge. Use a good stud finder and make sure you have a solid base.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks