1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me choose my HT speakers. Thanks

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by gocel, Oct 16, 2003.

1. gocel

gocel Member

Hello I am building a HT system from scratch. I bought already a HK AVR525 receiver also my main DVD palyer is a Sony DVP-CX985V 400 Disc Progressive DVD/SACD. I am going to order a SVS PB1-ISD Subwoofer with 320 watt built-in amp. Now it comes the part of choosing the speakers fronts center and sorrounds. The room where this whole setup will go is about 12'x 20'not a very big room. I do not want to spend more than $2000.00 for the the whole set of speakers. I will be very greatfull for any opinions on this matter. keep in mind that this is going to be a 7.1 setup. Thanks for any suggestions.

CG

2. Dan Mastro

Dan Mastro Active Member

you need to go out and listen at hifi shops. take notes of likes and dislikes; soft warm sound or detailed exact sound. i prefer the detailed crisp sounds, likes are subjective. how much $$ to spend etc.
    dan

3. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Well-Known Member

Hi gocel,

With $2K to spend you've got a lot of options: Paradigm, PSB, Polk Audio, RBH, Energy, Athena, etc. Take Dan's advice and go out and have fun shopping your local stores.

If I had your budget and wanted to buy from an internet company, I'd go with Ascend Acoustics. Also check out www.audioshop.on.ca for the Dahlquist line -- great speakers for the money and Marc at Audio Shop is a great guy to deal with. I don't think Dahlquist has any dealers in the US as yet, but I could be wrong.

Good luck and have fun!

Debbie

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Well-Known Member

5. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Well-Known Member

I'm kinda looking for a set of satellite speakers, but under $300. My friend suggested Energy...any others?

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

If you are only interested in one pair, the ELT satellites cost $250/pair. I would also suggest the Ascend 170s, but I think that they are just a bit over your budget.

If you are really thinking about a whole 5.1 system, I would recommend checking out the Acoustic Research HC6, which can be found for maybe a little over $300.

7. Mario_Y

Mario_Y Well-Known Member

Thanks for the idea; I am looking for a whole set. I can't seem to find the Acoustic Reseach one's though. Are they satellite?

8. Lew Crippen

9. george king

george king Well-Known Member

10. Lew Crippen

11. Richard_B

Richard_B Well-Known Member

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Well-Known Member

Try this site, some really great deals on some good speakers

Audio Advisor I got my Platinum Audio speakers from there, great service and for a limited time free shipping.

13. gocel

gocel Member

Thank you all for your fine suggestions. I will be very busy myself trying to audition some of the brand names you suggested and I am going to order the Ascend Acoustics. They come with a 30 day trial period I beleive. Thanks