What's new

Please HELP hook up a new widescreen monitor! (1 Viewer)

PatrickMD

Grip
I will be in deep debt (as if I'm not already) to anyone who can give me a hand with this...

I just bought a new 19in widescreen flat panel monitor to replace a 4x3 for my computer running Windows XP (not Media Center Edition). How can I adjust the picture settings so the picture isn't stretched???

Many thanks in advance!

Patrick

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, you need to do some research first.

First of all, what is the optimized resolution that your panel runs at? You should be able to find out in the manual or, in the case with some LCD monitors like Dell, it should say on the plastic film that covered your LCD monitor when you first opened up the box and unpacked it.

Second, you should run your monitor at that optimized resolution. So if your monitor is optimized for 1280x800 or 1680x1050 or 1450x900 or whatever, you should set your display properties to that. Chances are you are still running 4:3 settings and that's why your image looks stretched (i.e. 1024x768, 1280x1028, 1600x1200).

If it's a brand new model that just came out, and your video card doesn't automatically recognize it, you may need to download the newest video driver for your card (usually at ATI or nVidia's site).

Best of luck to you!

PatrickMD

Grip
Carlo,
Thanks for the quick response.

My new monitor's resolution is 1440x900. The 3 settings my copy of XP has are 1280x1040, 1024x768, and 800x600, which are all 4x3. I fear that means my computer can't accept a widescreen display. Am I correct? Is there anyway to update the software so it can?

Thanks very much!
Patrick

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Did any software come with the monitor? My widescreen Dell monitor at my last job had software that came with it to enable the correct resolutions.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Ditto to what Seth said. The software I got with my Dell supported the major video cards. have fun!

Glenn

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

XP can adjust to pretty much anything; what you mean is the video card in your computer has three settings. (The settings you see which you click START > CONTROL PANEL > APPEARANCE AND THEMES > CHANGE THE SCREEN RESOLUTION).

If your monitor did not come with software, and if there is no new driver available for your computer's video card, you'll likely end up here, at the Powerstrip utility:

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You just need to update your video driver, probably. Do you know what your video card is? Or is it onboard video? In either event, updating the driver will most likely get the desired resolution. 1440x900 is pretty standard, at least as of the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks