What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The reason why Gene Tierney was unable to do the film was pregnancy, unfortunately she miscarried. Also, Dorothy didn't have heart surgery, she had a severe lung infection that led to a near-fatal embolism and blood clots. Fortunately after a few months she was on the road to recovery. Lola Albright was quite good (loved her on Peter Gunn!), and she should have been offered another role on the show. BTW, when Allison was in her coma on the show, it was before she married Sinatra. She went off with him on a sailing trip off the Atlantic coast, and it made news all over.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
AlanP said:
I know many of you are against recasting a known role. However, do not forget for one season of "PEYTON PLACE" when Allison (was on her honeymoon with Sinatra) but on the series she was in a coma, Dorothy Malone was also away for open heart surgery and Lola Albright replaced her for the entire winter season that year, which I believe was three months. Similar to Donna Reed taking over for Ms. Ellie on "DALLAS". And no one said a word. As I remember she was great as Constance. Then later in the series George MacRaedy was away for an extended illness and Wilfred Hyde White stepped into the role. It was not a big deal with either being away from the series. I still think Leigh Taylor Young could have stepped in for Mia, after a few months and it would have been like she was always Allison. She had a very similar look.
As a matter of fact she and Ryan O'Neal got married as a result of "Peyton Place". I also read that Gene Tierney was to be cast as Constance in the sequel to the film "RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE" and then Eleanor Parker ended up with the role. I was hoping when they released the DVD of the film "Peyton Place", they would have included the pilot. There is alot of controversy concerning the pilot. Monash was very happy with it, and not sure what happened. I mean they certainly did not have to keep the angle of the storyline from the film in the series. The series bears no resemblance to the books or the films other than a few central characters. Every storyline was gone from the film, basically !!
Still enjoyed the series though until Allison left.........................
That's all very interesting information.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I remember when Victoria Winters (A. Moltke) left Dark Shadows. The show wasn't the same, but I still enjoyed many of the story lines that occurred after her departure. I don't remember too much of Peyton Place after Allison left. It is very possible that my family (mostly my mother, and through her, me) stopped watching it for reasons unrelated to the show, though.
This release is beginning to send chills down my spine. I am very much looking forward to a nostalgic stroll down memory -- and we're talking the dark recesses of my mind kind of memory -- lane. :emoji_thumbsup: It is very possible that the images I end up seeing when I rewatch the show will resonate as strongly as many of those from The Outer Limits did when I eventually rewatched that show several years succeeding 1963.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Charles is right about Mia and Dorothy I thought I read or heard Mia was under studio suspension writers placed her in coma. Then came to cutting her hair to cause more studio headaces. I liked Lola too and remember when Dorothy came back. Just as in Martins place I was happy to have both actors return to their original rolls. In 1997 I read in TV guide about the show retruning on Romance Channel this caused me to run out and buy my first satilite system so I could watch my favorite show all over again. Last show ended on a question which I believe the whole key to the answer was there. I still wonder where I got the notion the cast went to Europe to film an ending for the show. Good chemstry I rate Steve and Betty Allison and Rod Norman and Rita Connie and Elliot Mike and Ann Martin and Hannah Eddie and Ada Leslie and Catherine Susan and Tom Eli and Everyone.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Does anyone know Grace Metalious' feelings on the series ?? Did she have anything to do with the original pilot ?? Or was she still alive at that point ??

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I've heard that story of an "European ending" before: supposedly the show was such a hit in The Netherlands, several cast members were flown over to Amsterdam to film a tacked-on happy ending. I don't know if it's fact or urban legend- someone must know. Ed Nelson, Barbara Rush, Elizabeth 'Tippy' Walker, Ruby Dee and Patricia Morrow were in that last episode, as were Glynn Turman and James Douglas. They're still alive to confirm or deny. As to Ms. Metalious, she died in early '64, as the show was starting its first season with the revised pilot. Apparently when she made the deal with Fox for the novel and the sequel, she more or less lost any control over what the studio did with it. It is well-known that Paul Monash wasn't a big fan of the novel, and even before the pilot was revised he took a lot of the more salacious material out of the story. I've a Look magazine from '65 (a must-own for any PP fan- losts of rare photos, including a 2-page color cast spread!) in which he compares his version of Metalious' story to Our Town, but shown several times a week!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles, you state REVISED "pilot" were there two pilots filmed ?? The LOOK mag story is that before the 'pilot" was filmed ?? Then, if her rewrote the pilot what changes did he make. And in the original pilot was Rossi a principal or Dr. at that point and was Mathew Swain head of the paper or a Dr. ?? Just trying to figure if the changes were made pre pilot or later.

Thanks, you have wonderful stories about the series.... What else did the Look Article state ??

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Please refer to my earlier posts regarding the failed '63 pilot and the revisions in this thread......

BTW, the issue of Look in question is the October 19, 1965 isue with cars on the cover. Copies are easy to get thru eBay.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

Did you by any chance read the book "INSIDE PEYTON PLACE" by Emily Toth.

I have not read it. Supposedly there are many scoops about the whole story of the books, films, and series........... Must be quite a READ !!!!

Any insight into it ??

Thanks.....

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I've been trying to locate a copy for years. Sandra Bullock owns the rights to the Grace Metalious bio, and has announced plans to play her in a biopic. However, this was over a year ago, and I've haven't heard any other news on the project.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Any idea why this is not on the Shout! web site? I've looked several times over the weekend, and again today but no info yet. Do we have any idea yet on a price for the set, and if there are any extras?

Jack

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Charles I have the book "Inside Peyton Place" and it is a good read. There is a section devoted to Peyton Place on TV. I read the book some years back when buying all the 9 paper backs and the tenth a bio paperback on Grace Metalious written by her exhusband 1965. Just flipping thru the pages I see it has a wealth of info on the show yet I think you have a great deal more and could straighten them out. It also outlines the crazy novels and the daytime soap and the first post series movie. The cool part was in 1979 which you might already know they were pushing to put Peyton Place back on the air. Even before Dallas hit their famous episode. It looks like the screen play for Peyton Place Next Generation.

Two things about Next Gen. Why Peyton Place fans did the writers call the Carson Daughter Kelly. Was it because they looked in on some episode of the show saw Connie with a baby and calling it Kelly and said "Oh good here is our Betty" for the new show. Not even doing their homework that baby Matthew was there and big part of the show. Next Gen did a nice rework of dialog with Betty telling Mike in his office about having Steves child from when Betty was a nurse in black and white no less. Nice touch because all the flash backs were black and white.

Just like "Murder in Peyton Place" had "Stella Stevens" in black and white again in Mikes office mouthing lines in black and white to what make us forget "Lee Grant as Stella.

The other question I saw the broadcast of Peyton Place Revisited with Peter Lawford hosting and someone said there were no tvs on Peyton Place. That is the only quote that stuck with me. In 1976 when they put the show in reruns I found of course that was not true. The tv in Carson house is always there. Rilta is watching one in her hospital bed.

Yes I too have been to Shout. I am glad I am not the only one monitoring.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jack Cleveland said:
Any idea why this is not on the Shout! web site? I've looked several times over the weekend, and again today but no info yet. Do we have any idea yet on a price for the set, and if there are any extras?
Jack
Too early, Jack, for it to be on Shout!'s site. Usually that happens a few weeks after I get the info from my sources. Price is $39.99 SRP, I've found out, and the plan right now is that there will be some extras, but we don't know what and I'm waiting for more substantial info before posting my next news story about it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I've found out, and the plan right now is that there will be some extras, but we don't know what and I'm waiting for more substantial info before posting my next news story about it.[/quote]

Hope it is the "UNAIRED PILOT", that would be the piece d' resistance !!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it's the 1973 ABC documentary Peyton Place Revisited, which was a retrospective of the series hosted by Peter Lawford. Mia Farrow actually sat down for an interview as part of the special, which had a lot of clips. I was lucky to see it as a kid (it was my first exposure to PP, having been born during the show's original run!), and would not be surprised if the special (a Fox production) is still in the Fox vault.
There is a precedent: for its release of Valley of the Dolls, Fox went into its vaults and pulled two TV specials from '67 about the film and Jackie Susann. So I wouldn't be surprised if both the pilot and the documentary were included for the new release. Also, since she provided both commentary and interviews for Valley, I wouldn't be surprised if Barbara Parkins (who as Betty Anderson defined 'sultry') did the same for PP!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I never saw that special you mention Charles. What was it about, the series, or the whole franchise, book, film, series ?? Was Dorothy Malone on it ?? That is interesting they did this considering "Return" was running on NBC as a daytime soap......

How was the daytime version as good as the night time. On that Allison was back in the daily run. How did they explain her return ??

Thanks.......

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Charles I know you want "Inside Peyton Place" I did some checking and you can have the book at a very nice price of nine bucks. I know we are not suppose to name retailers it is at a very popular on line book dealer A....... I hope this helps they have many copies.

The news is great and I hope too that Peyton Place Revisted will be there as new comentary from Barbara Parkins. What I liked all stars were there except I think Dorothy Malone and I believe a few others. It was once said I am sure you know Charles as great historian for the show. More actors went thru Peyton Place as the size of a small town.

Fans of the Invaders will find of course Kent Smith as a second season regular. There was also Mary Martin Peytons Housekeeper in the episode entiitled "obsession" and Martin Peytons Lawyer young Billy who gives Leslie the boot. He is in "Captive". and also of course Time Tunnels own Ray and the General were both in the Invaders right after Tunnels demise. Ray a doctor at Georges Sanitairum and the General of course Calvin Hanley.

Back to the Peyton Place Revisited: I check my scrapbook on the show however not put together and found the AbC affiliate program annoucement for Friday Septmeber 26 1973 or 75 it can be check over at the IMdb for date. It has quotes the show aired on Wide World Special from1030:pm to 12:00Pm. Clips from the movie were shown John kerr Barbara Parkins Mia Farrow Chris Connelly. The haircuting Valley of the Dolls Peyton Place spinoff for Barbara. Pat Morrow was there and also Paul Monash as I do a quick scan.

The daytime soap I have some things on I only know the loose ends of the show were tied up in the first episodes. I see here in the orginal show if Mia stay she and Rod were suppose to marry according to writers. By the way one of my all time favortie episodes is Rod and Allisons sail boat ride and then coming home to greet Connie who knew what happend great great acting on all front and on a subject gracefully handled by one and all. That episode should have one an Emmy.

The first episode of Peyton Place I watched was when Rod gave Betty a kiss as she leaves the Peyton House for good ending there first marriage. I was hooked then at 11 years of age.

So on a personal note thankyou Charles for restoring my favorite show of all time to me on DVD. You kept the fires burning for this show and I will always be grateful.

Mark

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Oh wow.... you made my day. That 'sailing' episode is a favorite of mine too, and it took place right after two characters tied the knot in a big ceremony with Rodney and Allison among the guests- pehaps it inspired them for what happened later. Farrow and O'Neal had such great chemistry together, and to this day I hope they will reteam in some project together.
Here's a thought: since Fox produced the daytime soap as well, the odds are they saved the tapes for possible foreign syndication. So, hopefully after the entire primetime show is out on DVD, Shout! Factory can continue with the daytime spinoff.
Thanks for the 'heads up' on the book, Mark!
Some more info on Rose Hobart who played Mary: she had been a longtime player in Hollywood as a supporting player and a second-string leading lady. However, she got caught in the blacklist and didn't work for years. PP was something of a comeback for her. She was also the inspiration for one of the first avant-garde art films, named (what else?) Rose Hobart!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks