What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Mark Collins said:
Dr Morton was spoke of in reference to the Birth date. I really do not know when his last episode aired. I know Kent joined the Invaders in it's second season as a cast regular
According to imdb his last episode was #101 (9 May 1966)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I know why Mike Rossi was out of town: real life intervened again. This time, Ed Nelson was in a health crisis, and it looked like he had cancer. Fortunately everything checked out fine. Of course, this was covered by the popular media of the day, like 'Photoplay', 'Radio & TV Mirror' and other magazines I've bought off eBay over the years.......

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
And do not forget WILFRED HYDE WHYTE appeared as MARTIN PEYTON for awhile in the series.

Now, explain to me, with Lola Albright appearing as Constance and Wilfred for Martin, why could Leigh Taylor Young not taken over as Allison ??

It was so stupid they wrote Allsion out of the series...................

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan you propose a interesting question. The NBC daytime soap Return to Peyton Place had and an Allison. The report I read studio driven maybe said they did a nation wide search. Then the Allison left the show and they recast her. Perhaps Mia was just someone you could not replace. Maybe they thought she might come back to the series.

Wilred Hyde Whyte I thought did a marvelous job as Martin Peyton. The first episodes he did not use the cane much later he did. He had a different interpertion of the role. I rather enjoyed it. Perhaps Jack could comment on the two excellent performances. I still have to give my vote of course to George Macready.

George Macready simply owned that stage when he was in a scene. I love how when he came back from his illness on the second episode. He comes from around the corner outside to find Rita. He was so genuine when he told her his door was always open for her.

The best scene of course was between he and Steven in court. Steven comes up to cross exam in Martin. Martin begins coughing and acts if he

will die. I just scream over that scene it is so good. The cross examination between he and Steven I am hanging on every word.

Steve begins to cross examine his Mother Hannah Cord. Martin Peyton stands up in the court and what he states your are glued to the screen to hear. George Macready truly was the King in that series and I was sorry when he had to leave the show.

Thanks Alan for the Allison and Martin comment it brought back some good memories. I think what also stood out what fantastic writers that show had.

I wonder where those writers went? I know the one Dark Shadows writer worked on the show. He said he was hired to help save the show.

I am postive Charles could give us some insight to this.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
That courtroom scene has one of my favorite lines" "It is a Peyton world". Guess who said it!
I just loved that Martin of all people had respect for Rita, who had been looked down on by Leslie, among others. I think it was because she was the one person who could give Norman purpose in life. Also, she was no golddigger, she loved Norman, not the grandson of the mighty Martin Peyton. Let's face it, he was very much a momma's boy when the show premiered. After Catherine died, he was a bit aimless until- but why get ahead of myself? Volume 2 of the DVDs will be out soon, and you can see for yourself!
As for the daytime spinoff: it was a coproduction between TCF and writer-producers Don Wallace and James Lipton (yes, that James Lipton!). There was supposedly a national search for a new Allison a la Selznick's search for Scarlett for GWTW. And yet, they wound up with Katherine Glass, an actress who was in the previous Wallace/Lipton soap The Best of Everything. She didn't last long on the spinoff, and was replaced by Pamela Susan Shoop, who played the role for the rest of the show's run.
PP did have some pretty amazing writers at its peak, like Ann Marcus, who later wrote for several daytime soaps and won an Emmy for writing Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, and the late Carol Sobieski, who wrote the screenplays for Fried Green Tomatoes, Annie, and the teleplay for Sarah Plain and Tall. Rita Lakin wrote some of the most popular TV movies of the 1970s like Women In Chains, as well as the 1985 reunion movie. Lionel E. Siegel later did shows like The Waltons and The Six Million Dollar Man.
Malcolm Marmorstein was the DS veteran who wrote during PP's final year. He later wrote both Pete's Dragon and Return from Witch Mountain for Disney.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The next episodes following the outburst. The Colonial Inn two seated at a table. The one trying to slow things down to the speed of sound. He begins to speak. He remarks they all were married by the same Justice of the Peace. He states the Justice of the Peace was a strange little man covered in cobwebs The punch line I think he was an undertaker in his spare time!!!

I just scream out loud when I hear that line. You just do not hear actors speaking like that on Dallas. The show is totaly different I know. Jr had his one liners too as we all know and love. You cannot watch them together. I have tried and Peyton Place always comes out the winner.

I like one scene in the show where Mike finds Martin standing before the gravestone. The way Martin explains things to Mike is just great. Once again like with Stella Mike's expression's are fantastic. This actor knows how to convey without speach. Martin moves across the uneven terrain and stumbles and Mike quickly goes to his side and helps him walk. What a great way to exhibit sympathy and respect. The writers were genius's on this show.

I cannot wait for all our new and old fans alike to see these powerfull episodes.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
According to my notes, Kent Smith pops up at least as late as episode 240 (7/9/66), although he stopped appearing regularly somewhere around #134 (10/28/65). An early instance of bringing back a familiar face occasionally to reward long-time viewers, I imagine.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes Stephen and a very nice touch it was to have him back. He was used in the Ann Howard controversy one of my most favortie storylines in Peyton Place. The most important baby on show was to be delieverd by Dr Morton. The viewers such as I knew though it would have to be Ed Nelson. Kent in his last episodes played the wise and almost fatherly figure to Ed. I always liked the chemstry between the two actors when they played together.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
OK, people, I just watched the first half of disc 4 (episodes 19-21) and I am officially hooked on this show and in love with Barbara Parkins. Betty is easily my favorite character so far, closely followed by Mike. Also, I don't know if this is due to my discovering this show in this day and age - as opposed to when it originally aired, eighteen years before I came into this world - but is it wrong that I somehow find myself liking George Anderson in spite of his violent outbursts? Also, I really hope that Catherine's secret - the one she briefly discussed with Les a few episodes ago - will come out sooner rather than later and that it will be juicy stuff. Other than that, am I imagining it or does Kasey Rogers remind anybody else of Barbara Bain?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
You have turned a lousy day for me into a good one Romain! Yes 100% for me as far as Betty goes. She was in the show from start to the finish. I do not mean to imply that is my reason for liking Barbara.

Betty's character had so many demensions which made her so fascinating to watch. I have always thought Barbara Parkins should have received an emmy for her performance on that show. Barbara returned to the role of Betty in "Peyton Place Next Generation" back in the spring of 1985. I read she came back at a reported 1 million dollars. The other actors who got much less for their return never made a fuss. What great classy actors you had on that show!

Mike is good but you have not met my personal favorite Martin Peyton. I can never get enough of him. I could write tons of words about him and Betty for that matter.

George Anderson dominates a good deal of next July release. I think you will love what you see. I will not spoil it for you do not worry.

Kasey Rogers not being an IMF fan until the last 3 years of the show and still have not bought any of it I cannot comment on she and Barbara Bain. I thought Julie and Betty had a great Mother Daughter relationship in their scenes on the show. Betty and Julie will have many good scenes in later episodes. Keep the comments coming in please!!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jack sorry did not forget your question. I know nothing. Charles and Alan perhaps. I sure hope we hear soon. I hope all those Peyton Place Fans that are also Dark Shadows Fans will tell everyone at the DS Festival that PP is out and to buy it. I am afraid the new DS movie though will and rightly so be the talk of the Festival. I myslelf being a number 1 DS fan want to hear all about it. I shall have to wait though since I have never even been to a festival. Have a great vacation Jack!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
belated thanks to all who chimed in regarding LTY.

I would hope Shout would follow MPIs lead and bump the total eps per set to at least 40 and stick to a regular schedule. It will take forever to mine this show as it is.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place Part 2 14 days away starting the 1st. My vacation and birthday begin on the 2nd. I will be watching Peyton Place during the celebration. Not celebration of my birthday July the 3rd. I always feel rather ambilivant on that day. Fire crackers exploding constantly for the whole weekend I will live with. I will just turn up the volume on PP to sound them out.

I sure hope Shout will release the date for the next chapter. I know this is how all of us feel. I wonder if anyone has contacted Shout about release dates. I am sure if they did we would hear about it by now.

Well happy 4th of July everyone!!!
Mark

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I must ask Peyton Place fans to forgive my post of yesterday. I did not know that Ryan O'Neal's beloved companion Farrah Fawcett was being laid to rest on June 30th. I am postive all Peyton Place fans mourn with Ryan and his family at their tragic loss.

Mark

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,
I do not recall Ms. Glass or Ms. Shoop as Allison, did she capture the Mia effect on the daytime series ?? How were they on the sequal ? What did they say about Allison's disappearance from "PEYTON PLACE" when "RTPP" started ?? Also, did they not add Selena Cross on the daytime series as a love interest for Rossi ?? What was her storyline similar to the film ?? Is she Allison's best friend as she was in the films ?? Also, did Constance still have the shoppe on the daytime series ? And how did they explain the Carson's return ?? And did they mention Matthew and what was his role in the daytime follow up ? I watched it but, I have no recall about it ?? Were there outdoors shots during the daytime run ?? I remember it had one episode that ran on a Sunday night.............for what reason I am not sure on NBC. Funny, the daytime version was on NBC !!!!

SueEllen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
New to this board and I love the discussion. I watched RTPP faithfully and was bummed when it was canceled. It was a very good show, and the ONLY one truly faithful to the nightime show.

Kathy Glass was very popular as Allison. She had long blonde hair (her own, dyed) but soon into the run the dye used on her hair caused it to fall out. Hence an Allison wig (with blonde hair and bangs) had to be put on her head. Kathy developed a bleeding ulcer while doing the show and despite NBC throwing money at her to stay she quit after that nightime ep which highlighted the end of SPOILER************************************************Allison's murder trial.
Allison's disapperance was explained as her having fled town to go to New York, she told her parents she worked as a dishwasher and hitchiked to San Francisco. She made it back to New York where she met Benny Tate and she married him. He (unebknowst to her) got sick and returned to his home in Virginia. He sent his twin brother Jason back and when Allison saw him, she thought he was Benny and he never fessed up. Jason was a no good guy - typical of characters on the nightime show think Lee Webber - and he hooked her on drugs. When he had to pay off his dealer he offered Allison to the dealer and that is when Allison went home. She had been using the name 'Allison James' and Benny knew she lived in PP and followed her there.

Selena on the show was Rossi's nurse and she was Allison's childhood friend,only older.

Constance had the bookshop. The very first scene in the new show had Mike Rossi checking in on Connie.
The Carsons explained to Allison -after she came back - that they were homesick and were afraid if she came back,they would not have been there. They never mentioned the Russells. In fact, Rossi's murder trial never came up. Matthew was in the show, played an adorable five year old John Levin. He was featured prominently and Allison's first meeting with him was sweet.

I don't recall outdoor scenes. The sets were gorgeous. The Peyton house staircase was true to form, but the livign room was on one side with a new set - a library - which had Martin Peyton's portriat prominently displayed, was on the other.

Hope this helps!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
That is a WONDERFUL explanation of RTPP !!!
Thank You so much..............
It has been ages since, I saw the show in it's initial run.
I think also, there were two Constance's as well during the series run. The one I remember was Bettye Ackerman whom was on "Ben Casey" in the early 60's.
Was Ms. Glass similar in appearance to Mia Farrow ?? Did she evoke the same type of Allison ??
Thanks Again !!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanyou SueEllen!!! Please keep posting it is great to hear from newcomers. The daytime version seems to have some very interesting plotlines. I read Betty at the end of the show was talking to Martin Peytons ghost. The inside of the Peyton Mansion did it look like the set from the night time version? I also read they made a vague comment on the outcome of the murder trial. The murder trial which left the nightime viewers to draw their own conclusions.

I also made a discovery about "The Return To Peyton PLace" movie soundtrack. Right after Rosemary Clooney stops singing the instrumental comes up to end the song. Listen closely and I think the end credits for the TV show comes up after one cord or two. This happens at the start of the album and at the end of the album before the extras.

The best of course is the Peyton Place soundtrack last cue which sounds exactly like the end theme to the tv series. The orginal soundtrack for that movie came out on the RCA label. I have both versions.

The Martin Peyton Theme plays nicely in the "Return to Peyton Place" CD. Some cues were taken for the tv show in the early episodes. I want to find out some day who composed the character themes. Connie Betty etc. Thanks once more for coming on board Sue Ellen!

We need those Dvds to fly off the shelves a week from this Tuesday . Spread the word Peyton PLace fans!

SueEllen

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom
I think my first reply was lost!
SPOILERS ON RTPP

Betty doesn't see Martin's ghost - she sees Martin himself. He is hiding out in the Peyton mansion in a deserted wing. He faked his death and went to live in the Virgin Islands(?). He has been watching every move his heirs make to contest his will over the years. Hannah is his accomplice. Martin emerges from behind his life size portriat as Hannah expresses concern over Steven. Betty finally learns the truth after Hannah tells her she is hallucinating, mistaking the portriat with believing she saw Martin. Betty blackmails Martin, threatening to expose him for fraud if he does not find a way to make Rod the beneficiary of his will. This sort of backfires later when Rod does accept the new will, only not to help Betty - but to help Allison!

The mansion looks great - the staircase in the middle of the set, with the living room and library on either side. It does not exactly look as it did on the nightime version. The staircase is a great replica of the original.

Didn't the Netherlands solve the Rossi murder mystery by flying over Nelson, Rush, Diana Hyland and Bob Hogan? I believe I heard Susan Winter admitted she killed Fred by accident after he came on to her, while they were both partying in his room and she fled the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks