What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (3 Viewers)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Received my set yesterday, and I'm happy with it.

The menu screens really made me smile. As stated above, the sound bites they chose are really fun.

The episodes look better than I've ever seen them, but as stated elsewhere, they have their flaws...minor scratches but clear picture.

When I first saw these, it was on the FOX network in the early 90's...these aired on the FOX satellite, for areas who did *not* have a local affiliate.

So, I saw two back-to-back episodes a day from 1992 to 1994.

But those reruns never included the "preview" moments at the end of each episode, so those were new to me.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Here's yet another show, like The Invaders and Room 222, that I heard frequently referenced growing up and from time to time thru the years, that I was always curious about but am just now getting a chance to see.
My set came in last week. Even though I think I got a good deal on it (just under $23), I had second thoughts and decided to netflix it instead. As I was finishing up the first disc last night I was glad I rented it because it was failing to hold my attention. I put in the second disc and played the first few eps in a small window while I did some work. By about the 9th ep though, something started to click with me because now I'm seriously considering just keeping the set. I had come to the conclusion that with a serial show like this-that I have no personal nostalgic attachment to-that I would likely not want to revisit eps I've seen so much as just watch the further eps I haven't. But the mileau here is enjoyable to immerse in, and I am starting to enjoy spending time in the company of several characters. And one thing that I really respect is that the show seems to move. Unlike Dark Shadows which frequently spins its wheels trying to resolve a situation and move forward, PP doesn't seem to spend a lot of time milking the same conflict. For example, I was dreading how many eps would be spent milking the "I have to keep Rossi from remembering me and my shameful secret" plot line. And yet to my delighted surprise, it's resolved and advanced w/in one or two eps. I also dig that Rossi is presented as the pragmatic and unflappable big city outsider, which seems to neutralize the inclination for over the top melodrama that I expected from a pre-sex revolution TV soap. In other words, though the cultural limitations are apparent often, many character interactions still seem to strike me as refreshingly mature. Even the more cartoonish wife beater character has begun to display some actual depth and nuance by the end of the second disc.
Doggonit, I think I just talked myself into keeping that set now

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Paul, please be aware that the storyline had an overhaul around the 40th episode. Fox actually shut down production so the writers could be changed and existing stories changed based on viewer reaction. Soon the stories will be faster paced and there's no holding back! Trust me, the show's best stories are just around the corner.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have it!!! The big river has still to deliver. Call my local Best Buy 3 copies 15 minutes away. 31.99 on sale. They said they expect to carry it for next release. Great news!! But check 2 weeks prior to release date to make sure.

My Champagne will soon be uncorked and the popcorn will be popping. Long weekend here I come!!!

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
The release of the first prime time soap opera "Peyton Place" is something I (and judging by the posts on this board,quite a few others)have been waiting for for a long time.I have not seen these episodes since their initial run in 1964. The excellent acting and riveting storylines made a lasting impression on me even as a child back then. While I am very happy to finally have this set,I am quite disappointed in the quality of the video transfers which IMHO,range anywhere from mediocre to a poor VHS tape. I appreciate the fact that this is a series that aired in 1964,but that is also the year "The Fugitive" was broadcast. However, "The Fugitive" DVD releases have featured pristine, crystal sharp video images,in stark contrast to what we have on "Peyton Place".Unfortunately,I have to say that I am really not that surprised by this,as this seems to be the norm in regards to Shout! Factory's previous releases. They don't seem to want to invest the money,or effort, to clean up the images;they seem to be primarily interested in just releasing DVDs,and the quality be damned.

While I don't know if the source material from which these DVDs were recorded were badly deteriorated or not,it seems to me if Shout! Factory really wanted to invest the money to correct this for a much anticipated benchmark television series which so many of us have eagerly waited for,they could have done so,akin to the restoration effort done for another landmark series,"The Fugitive". If this restoration process caused the price of these sets to be more expensive,I know I,and I'm sure most other "Peyton Place" fans would be willing to pay the extra cost.

Having said all this,will I be buying the 2nd release of "Peyton Place" come July? Of course I will,because having a less than satisfactory DVD of this wonderful series is infinitely better than having no DVD release at all.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I don't think you're aware of the fact that what you see on DVD is far better than the prints used in the cable reruns!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
In fact, I popped my vhs recordings of these same episodes in, and reminded myself in an instant just how much better these dvds look, despite the flaws

I cannot complain about Shout Factory's release in any way, because I am so damn grateful for it.

Rewatching these, I was reminded of the time that 'serials' took in this era, and indeed through the early 1980's...time taken with character development and conversation...and I absolutely love it.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Charles Ellis said:
Phil, I don't think you're aware of the fact that what you see on DVD is far better than the prints used in the cable reruns!
The cable reruns of "The Fugitive'' were of poor video quality as well. That didn't prevent the studio that released the DVDs from doing a phenomenal restoration process on them,resulting in images that looked like they were recorded last week.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Mark Collins said:
I have it!!! The big river has still to deliver. Call my local Best Buy 3 copies 15 minutes away. 31.99 on sale. They said they expect to carry it for next release. Great news!! But check 2 weeks prior to release date to make sure.
My Champagne will soon be uncorked and the popcorn will be popping. Long weekend here I come!!!
Yep--My Best Buys are carrying it too. Why do I even mention it? Because BB has been a pain in the ass lately in terms of NOT carrying classic tv releases. But BB does have PP.
Meanwhile, there's a poll at Shout! Factory's site, asking us which classic tv shows should get another volume. Naturally, I voted for Peyton Place!
Here's a link to the tvshowsondvd article:
Site News DVD news: Shout! Factory Survey | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Any ire at Shout Factory over the quality of the elements used for this, or Room 222, or Rhoda, etc- is misdirected, imo.
Shout doesn't own or control these shows and has never owned or controlled them- Fox has. Licensees like Shout have their hands tied. They are too small to absorb the cost of new transfers (and that's if the elements even exist than can yield better masters at this point). In fact, the poor quality of the materials may be a contributing factor to why its true owner (Fox) has never and refuses to put these out under it- own banner. Shout has essentially rescued these abused and neglected properties and is willing to invest resources into making them available for an eventual return that is a dismissive pittance to Fox.
The crew at Shout are still the heroes here in my book.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
phil* said:
The cable reruns of "The Fugitive'' were of poor video quality as well. That didn't prevent the studio that released the DVDs from doing a phenomenal restoration process on them,resulting in images that looked like they were recorded last week.
CBS didn't merely create new Hi-Def transfers from the 35mm source for the DVD. But also so they could syndicate these shows. They are profiting from this upgrade. It's their property/asset. If you're renting a house, you're not going to invest in wood floors and an in-ground swimming pool? Shout! has a limited time to release these DVD sets.
It's up to Fox to get these shows done right since they ought to be using them on some sort of Fox properties TVLand channel/subchannel - especially since it sounds like they're not going to be running that much Fox stuff on American Life Channel this summer

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Paul Scott, you took the words out of my mouth. Fox was stupid to think that no one would care about PP on DVD. Shout! Factory has tried to make the best of a bad situation. Perhaps with big DVD sales, Fox will finally go back to the original film masters and do some serious remastering, as they did for their own M*A*S*H.
Phil, for once be grateful the show is even out at all!!!!

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Charles Ellis said:
Phil, for once be grateful the show is even out at all!!!!
If you read my post in its entirety,you would know I am grateful that "Peyton Place" has finally been released,and that I fully intend to buy the 2nd release in July,even though it's a virtual certainty that the video resolution on that set will probably be as bad as the first.
The problem I have with Shout! is that they seem to continuously put out these sets which have undergone little or no remastering. Ultimately,if you are a company that always puts out an inferior product,it doesn't take a giant intellect to realize what the future has in store for you.
In this day and age of HD Television and Blu-ray discs,the average consumer is very discerning in his tastes;we have progressed beyond VHS tapes and 8-track cartridges.The technology does exist to clean up vintage shows which have a huge following...but it takes money and effort to do so. If Shout! cannot afford or is unwilling to do so,I'm sure there is another entity out there
who will seize the opportunity.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
phil* said:
The technology does exist to clean up vintage shows which have a huge following...but it takes money and effort to do so. If Shout! cannot afford or is unwilling to do so,I'm sure there is another entity out there
who will seize the opportunity.
Name a DVD distributor that will spend their own cash to make HD transfers from the 35mm masters of a TV series and not have ownership of that property outside of DVD rights?
The profit margin is already tight after the limited licensing fee, manufacturing, distribution and returns. Even if you did want to make the new transfers, Fox won't be handing you the elements. They'll have their people do it and send you the bill.

phil*

Second Unit
Real Name
Andro
Corey3rd said:
Even if you did want to make the new transfers, Fox won't be handing you the elements. They'll have their people do it and send you the bill.
Then Shout! should let Fox make the new transfers,incur the extra expense,and pass the costs onto the consumer.
Let's face facts...the vast majority of people who are going to buy this set as currently constituted are those who are old enough,like myself,to have watched this show when it originally aired. It is highly unlikely that those born in the 1980's and beyond will purchase a 45 year old black and white soap opera...and when word gets around that the video transfers on these discs are subpar as well...the probability of younger consumers buying "Peyton Place" IMHO,would be next to non-existant.However,if the set was remastered to the same extent as "The Fugitive" DVDs were,offering a pristine, crystal sharp image...then word of mouth re:the quality of the show's acting and storylines in addition to the excellent video transfers would spur buying by this demographic as well.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
phil* said:
Then Shout! should let Fox make the new transfers,incur the extra expense,and pass the costs onto the consumer.
Let's face facts...the vast majority of people who are going to buy this set as currently constituted are those who are old enough,like myself,who watched this show when it originally aired. It is highly unlikely that those born in the 1980's and beyond will purchase a 45 year old black and white soap opera...and when word gets around that the video transfers on these discs are subpar as well...the probability of younger consumers buying "Peyton Place" IMHO,would be next to non-existant.However,if the set was remastered to the same extent as "The Fugitive" DVDs were,offering a pristine, crystal sharp image...then word of mouth re:the quality of the show's acting and storylines in addition to the excellent video transfers would spur buying by this demographic as well.
A majority of people in the demographic block you describe are AARP members. Their eyesight is going. They don't care about how a TV looks as long as there is an image to be seen. I've got a grandmother who owns an HD TV, but still watches the standard def channels. She doesn't need the difference. These elderly people watched this series originally with rabbit ears with ghosting images. They just want their stories.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
phil* said:

Let's face facts...the vast majority of people who are going to buy this set as currently constituted are those who are old enough,like myself,who watched this show when it originally aired. It is highly unlikely that those born in the 1980's and beyond will purchase a 45 year old black and white soap opera...and when word gets around that the video transfers on these discs are subpar as well...the probability of younger consumers buying "Peyton Place" IMHO,would be next to non-existant.However,if the set was remastered to the same extent as "The Fugitive" DVDs were,offering a pristine, crystal sharp image...then word of mouth re:the quality of the show's acting and storylines in addition to the excellent video transfers would spur buying by this demographic as well.

That all sounds great, but the Fugitive has a much bigger following - and it didn't sell that well. Definitely not enough to recoup the cost of the remastering. So to not lose their shirts on the deal, they hopefully had a big deal to sell the show into syndication.

Fox could do the same for PP, but they aren't going to spend the money unless they know they can get it back.

The problem is that remastering is EXPENSIVE. Just like music licensing and everything else involved with making a DVD set. And you'd be surprised how many sets not only don't make money, but never come close to recouping.

Here's an example. I worked on a set that required 100,000 in music licensing. It sold 1500 copies. Now, I can tell you we didn't make 67.00 profit on each set sold. And that doesn't include the cost to license the program, authoring, manufacturing, marketing, advertising, packaging, shipping, etc.

We'd all love to have all of our favorite shows painstakingly remastered from the original elements and with extensive (and relevant) special features. But the reality is, sales of most shows (especially older ones) won't support that. And the increase in sales from "doing it properly" is almost never anywhere near big enough to compensate.

So the only viable options are:
  1. Release it roughly as/is
  2. Don't release it at all
I'd rather take what I can get - especially on niche or cult shows that don't air regularly on some cable station.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks