What's new

Please explain the ending of the Shining. (1 Viewer)

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the Shining for the first time, and maybe I missed something or I'm just stupid, but I didn't understand the end with the closeup of the picture with Jack in it from 1921 or something. Please explain.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Jack became the latest addition to hotel - or spirit of the hotel if you wish.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Hey, let's not rip on matt. The first time I saw the Shining I was in a state of mental retardation and complete neural paralysis after the back-to-back scary twins/necrophilia scenes, and by the end of the movie I had no clue what the hell was going on. But then again, I was three years old;)

BarryS

Second Unit
Necrophilia? I've seen The Shining many times and I don't recall any instances of necrophilia....

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
That I did see. When Jack went into rm 237 there was the young, attractive woman in the tub. They started kissing and she turned into some really old woman with sores all over her body. It was gross.

Luis S

Supporting Actor
Was there anybody that didnt like the movie? I just watched this with my wife for the first time the other day,And since she had recently finished reading the book she was TOTALY let down with the movie.I mean wow she felt really jipped :frowning: As for me,well,to be honest it put me to sleep.:b Gotta admit though,Im not fond of Kubrick anyway:D So was anyone else who read the book as dissapointed as my wife?Just curious.
Luis S

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I have to separate the book from the movie in my head to appreciate the movie. I loved the book, and completely hated the film the first time I saw it, and I understand why Stephen King despised it.

I still don't love the film, but I don't hate it anymore. It's probably my least-favourite Kubrick, along with Lolita, which also suffers in comparison to the book (but has a number of great moments).

Of course, there are a few of his that I still haven't seen...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I enjoyed The Shining, book and film, they can both co-exist methinks, I know Stephen King wasn't too happy with Kubrick's movie and had a fit when Jack Nicholson got the part of Jack Torrance, King said something to the effect that Torrance was supposed to go slowly mad/possessed as the film progresses but that Nicholson was already clearly nuts to begin with.:laugh:
That said in my opinion Kubrick's The Shining is prob the last great horror film ever, before hundreds of teen horror flicks took over in the 80's, 90's and 00's.
Curiously the plotline has close similarities to 'The Amityville Horror', anyone notice this?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Which is invariably the case in regard to a film whose director happens to be Stanley Kubrick.

A note about the artistic concept of adaptation. One person's work serves no more than to be the artistic inspiration for another person's work. Such is the very serious case here. Never expect a Stanley Kubrick film to be anything less.

The book? I struggled through it way back in 1978. The film? I cannot tell you how many times I've seen it.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I saw THE SHINING the first day it open oh so many years ago and walked out of the theater hating the movie. The book has been a favorite and read many times. Over the years, I learned to love the film (although I still hate Danny's 'talking finger!') and watch it often on DVD. BTW, when I finally got my own wife to read THE SHINING, she couldn't put it down and is still suffering from 'Anti-Kubrick's The Shining' Syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks